What's new

Looking at getting a Pal Adjustable? Read this.

Assuming you'd be getting one off the 'bay, BEFORE YOU BID be sure to ask the seller for a tight closeup of the head, like so:

proxy.php

The one on the left is defective. The bevel ground into the head above the blade was machined crookedly. Note that uneven blade exposure. THIS - not blades, as I suspected - is what tore me up the first time I used the Pal. How do I know that? Because the one on the L is the one I used first, and only once...since then I switched over to the one on the R, and got fantastic results every time.

Then, tonight, I tried the crooked one again (before realizing it is crooked). Once again, it tore me up, but I knew it couldn't be the blade because the blade was still pretty new AND I'd just removed it from the "good" Pal. So that ruled out bad blades.

Since the head cannot possibly be fixed - looks like you'd destroy the head assembly trying to get it apart - this razor is sadly unusable for anyone who does not have a laceration fetish.

So word to the wise: if you plan on getting one of these they're well worth it. You'll like it. Just make sure to ask for a closeup of the head bevel before you bid. If it's even...you'll be able to tell with or without a blade loaded...and if the spring is in good shape (it probably is), you'll be good to go.

Thanks for listening. Keep watching the skies.

S

siouxsie

I've seen these in cases with white bottoms with red letters and another with dark gray bottoms and white lettering. My razor, defective like the one on the left in donohio's pic, came in the white case. It's just a theory, but the ones in those cases MAY be defective production. Just a theory at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

siouxsie

Used, probably in the $20-$25 range. New, who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received a PM from another member who also has found himself the victim of one of these razors sporting poor machining. That makes what? Three PALs in the last 2 months like this. Mmmmmm.........

I had never heard of nor seen this problem before. Keep in mind that I've been using PAL razors on and off since they were introduced. The only flaw I've had personal experience with has been worn/maladjusted blade tension spring bars. Bad enough and the blade will not be securely held and can move....

So my counsel is to ask for both a head shot as DonOhio suggests, and ALSO a close up of the underside of the head with the spring bar visible. If it looks twisted or bent strangely, pass :)

Not blue. Bad flash.

Don instead of leaving your Kodak Z712IS on auto white balance when you use the flash, isn't there a flash or maybe halogen setting?

You should also be able to color correct the image with any number of free utilities out there.

HOW THE HELL do you know what camera I'm using? What are you, a fed?

(jes kidding)

Not that I've noticed but my wife has the instructions for the thing somewhere...I'll definitely look into it, b/c the autoflash ends up...well, look up.

HOW THE HELL do you know what camera I'm using? What are you, a fed?

(jes kidding)

Not that I've noticed but my wife has the instructions for the thing somewhere...I'll definitely look into it, b/c the autoflash ends up...well, look up.

I use PhotoME as well as FxIf Firefox plug in to examine EXIF data. They give more detail than the summary shown above :)

Fed? Close.....
Retired "mustang" naval officer
Retired "zoomie" federal manager

Assuming you'd be getting one off the 'bay, BEFORE YOU BID be sure to ask the seller for a tight closeup of the head, like so:

proxy.php

The one on the left is defective. The bevel ground into the head above the blade was machined crookedly. Note that uneven blade exposure. THIS - not blades, as I suspected - is what tore me up the first time I used the Pal. How do I know that? Because the one on the L is the one I used first, and only once...since then I switched over to the one on the R, and got fantastic results every time.

Then, tonight, I tried the crooked one again (before realizing it is crooked). Once again, it tore me up, but I knew it couldn't be the blade because the blade was still pretty new AND I'd just removed it from the "good" Pal. So that ruled out bad blades.

Since the head cannot possibly be fixed - looks like you'd destroy the head assembly trying to get it apart - this razor is sadly unusable for anyone who does not have a laceration fetish.

So word to the wise: if you plan on getting one of these they're well worth it. You'll like it. Just make sure to ask for a closeup of the head bevel before you bid. If it's even...you'll be able to tell with or without a blade loaded...and if the spring is in good shape (it probably is), you'll be good to go.

Thanks for listening. Keep watching the skies.

I received one of these in a "grab bag of razor handles" on ebay.

The one I have looks like the one on the right. The bevel ground into the head on mine appears to be very level. I have a Schick injector that is a beautiful Gold and Butterscotch which I have used. The Pal has a lot of wear on the plastic ribs on the handle so it must have seen regular use.

Looking at it from the backside the backstrap that holds the blade in place is broken and therefore reduces this to rubbish. So it is really one to throw away and not keep around.

Last edited:
Top Bottom