What's new

Henson vs Super Slant for Head

So I'm contemplating between a Henson aggressive (maybe medium) or a RR Super Slant L1++OC for head shaving.

Can anyone comment on these? I shave my head with a mach 3 about once a week, thinning a little up top but its not terrible (big widows peak).

Right now whenever I get around to shaving my face I use a muhle R41or R89. Typically run feather blades, so I'm not new to shaving with a DE but it's not a regular basis. Started with a parker, saw the r41 was ridiculous and got it. R41 shaves great, and got the 89 thinking it'd be good for my head.

When I first started shaving my head I tried the 89, and it took a while cause it felt like it was tugging around my cron and couldnt tell if it was hair or skin it was getting caught on. Needless to say i did a **** poor job so I switched to mach 3s and haven't gotten back to trying with the 89 again.

Anyone have a stance on this? I'm trying to get BBS and not gouge my head (it's rather large so a lot of real estate to cover).

For what it's worth I'm not interested in the leaf/thorn. Ideally stainless, and i think I'd be ok it spending a bit of money and prefer open comb. Hence why I'm torn vetween the apparent ease of the henson, and the slant open combs cause I read they're supposed to be great for head shaving.

I'm a head shaver and typically like using only 1 razor that shaves both the head and face well. I like a mild but efficient razor that can get me to BBS without having worry about nicking yourself. So far I've enjoyed using the Henson medium for this purpose. But if you like using an OC razor, i would suggest the Yates M-921 OC with the M plate. The teeth look aggressive but its not an aggressive razor and would be perfect if you do not shave that often. It's comfortable to use, smooth, and will get you to BBS easily.

Have you used the henson aggressive? Videos make the aggressive seem more efficient but I wonder if the gaps big enough to make knicking/cutting easier on the back of the head or coming over the crown. Everyone seems to talk about the medium but it mostly seems like cause you have to actually hunt down an aggressive.

Slant versus Henson...ok.
Well it seems you are on the path of buy and try. My only flag reading is when a user is more focused on the tool and not the skills, consistency, patience, and the all around process. Once you get good at it..you might be to shave with any usable de. Also select the right tool for the right job. I slant might be over kill for a daily shaver. Thou if you are like my younger brother, you may not. Fast gorilla growth..
Take you time, improve the skills and have fun..BFX

Slant versus Henson...ok.
Well it seems you are on the path of buy and try. My only flag reading is when a user is more focused on the tool and not the skills, consistency, patience, and the all around process. Once you get good at it..you might be to shave with any usable de. Also select the right tool for the right job. I slant might be over kill for a daily shaver. Thou if you are like my younger brother, you may not. Fast gorilla growth..
Take you time, improve the skills and have fun..BFX
I get what you mean. I'm not a every day shaver, I'm once a week-ish.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I think the characteristics of a Henson make for a very safe and guided headshave. I would take the medium, the light weight also would help.

This said, I don't headshave and like heavy razors. I don't know, but using a slant on the head sounds scary to me. Not only because of the guillotine image.

I get what you mean. I'm not a every day shaver, I'm once a week-ish.
Good info then, depending on your preference slants are a great option for a weeks worth of growth. Also I noted you have the RR BBS OC, great tool. I have the A & AS, love them, fast smooth, close shave....Good Luck, keep us posted.....BFX

I think the characteristics of a Henson make for a very safe and guided headshave. I would take the medium, the light weight also would help.

This said, I don't headshave and like heavy razors. I don't know, but using a slant on the head sounds scary to me. Not only because of the guillotine image.
Naaah but I do get the projection. Slants are great for sensitive skin and the head. I have a never let fear into the shaving process, mapping from my dad since I started with SR's. But we all are are different, no better or worse just different. Slants are not for all and that is ok. Find the tool (s) that work best for you. That way we all are here. I have a good friend that is a head shaver, he tried my RR BBS A / AS. Took him no time to adapt and still uses it has his daily head shaver.
BFX

I post this on one of my other threads, but for those reading this one:

Been a few days but here's a followup. I tried the RR BBS OC with an astra blade to try and compare it to the henson medium as close as I can. To me, there no discernable difference between the two. Both very mild. Just now I tried the Henson with a Feather blade and it did much better, but I don't feel it's enough to warrant keeping it. Granted my technique with the henson in theory should have been better this go around as I was figuring jt out the first time, but I still stand behind my previous remarks.

I've also ordered the RR SS L1++OC, so I'll be able to give my opinion on that one as well.

I dont know if efficiency is the right term, just struggling to get BBS even with a 3 pass shave. To me it doesn't have to much kf an issue beating down like a week kf growth.

How are you using the term "efficient"? I was actually considering returning the medium and getting the aggressive, but after I get the aggressive I'd be stuck with it cause they don't have the same policy as henson.

I dont know if efficiency is the right term, just struggling to get BBS even with a 3 pass shave. To me it doesn't have to much kf an issue beating down like a week kf growth.

How are you using the term "efficient"? I was actually considering returning the medium and getting the aggressive, but after I get the aggressive I'd be stuck with it cause they don't have the same policy as henson.
For me, "efficient" basically means fewer passes overall and especially and less buffing in my "trouble spots." I have discovered, in general, a positive correlation between razors called "aggressive" and razors that are "efficient" for me. Others have pointed out that even "mild" razors can shave efficiently if used properly. I agree with this general principle, which means I'm not highly skilled using "mild" razors.

That's fair.....maybe ill look into getting the aggressive one then and see what I think. I'm sure it just me not being able to maintain the proper angle or something, but I'm gonna try to just take the b**ch way out :)

Well, let me try here. It can be a challenge finding the right tool that works for your use or usages.
So many variables in the shave.
Skill levels, blade used, razor used, face, age, skin type, stubble thickness and hair density, hair growth mapping, prep, shave process ( skill, hardware /software) , post shave recovery....
Now I was not sure Gth813x if you are a daily shaver or weekly.
But would suggest really focusing on the really getting into a good shave practices and really up the game on technique first. Most important factor.
If not you will be focused too much on the razor performance and not on your methods and consistencies.
Plus, each razor will have its own behaviors and sweet spot angles.
You certainly will do more harm jumping around to others. Really confusing your muscle memory.
Then just sticking with one and mastering it is really the best place to start.
Most will not, we all what instant grad.
Mastery is the fusion of both you and your tool.
Again, please do not take this has a criticism just a suggestion, little guide.
We all will have different paths to get there.
I was lucky in that my dad taught me a 16 with a SR. SRs foundation is focus, patience and process - lots of skin pulling. But It takes practice, a ton of it.
Carelessness leads to cuts, There's no "quick and easy" method, and razor care takes time. SR's slow you down.
I always remember my dad saying, we taught you to drive with a standard first. So you really know how to drive!
Then Years later, I jumped into using DEs ( slants to start). Been shaving now for 50 years. So I certainly know what works for me.

I would never tell someone what to do. I am here, only to suggest.

Best of luck, really enjoy the shave...
I truly know you will find the recipe that works for you.
Cheers
BFX

Remember the Wand will pick you ( once a great magician) , you can't just pick the Wand.

The bouncing around is mainly to see which one feels the best at the moment. I haven't knocked myself, and I know hopping isn't ideal but it's also all stuff I've been wanting to try anyways. I went from a parker butterfly open tk the r41 and I've been hanging with that for years till I started shaving my head. Just having some fun :)

great info so far I have an aluminum RR BBS and use it for shaving my head and face, love the light weight for shaving my head and the results are always great. Would love to try a slant, possibly an ATT S1, I will keep my open to see if on pops up on the buy and sell.

Top Bottom