What's new

Traveling Equipment Acquisition Disorder? (TEAD)

So, it happened... I resisted the urge to succomb to too much AD as a newbee...

But I was heading on an out-of-town trip and I thought, "well, wouldn't it be nice if I had a shaving stick for this trip so I don't have to use goo." And then I started looking at shaving sticks, and thought, "I don't have any TOBS products, and that blue stick looks so mighty fine." [Click, add to cart.] :o16:

But wait... what kind of shaving brush would I use with that TOBS shave stick? Surely, I wouldn't want to travel with the brand new Rooney Heritage 2 that my fiancee gave me for Christmas. It would be terrible if I lost it, and it probably wouldn't be well suited for a shave stick anyway. So... [click] added a 18mm Savile Row brush! :tongue_sm

I couldn't have left well enough alone, because .... I saw the Merkur travel DE (the one that breaks apart) and thought :001_rolle I ought to have it. So... [click]

True. I might feel :a6: or :lol: or :a20:....

but I don't care. I'm excited! :thumbup: Can't wait for my next trip!

No AD here, but I did see this unused kit in a nearby antique mall and could not resist. So to further your AD and gain some jealousy points.....

Yes that is an unused puck of Williams. Imprint on it reads "The J B Williams Co. USA"

Hey no problem here. You need good stuff when you travel, and you've got some now.

I have both of the Merkur travel razors. The safety bar and the open comb. In that little travel pouch they come in they don't take up any room at all in my dopp kit. Enjoy your trips. :thumbup1: :001_rolle

i thought i was the only one that suffered from this rare disease! :w00t:

most of the symptoms have subsided by now (3-4 years into the wet shaving thing). But when I first started, I had a real case of TEAD. It would flare-up every time I visited a site to buy shaving products.

Now I only have to worry about it when I get ready to travel overnight somewhere. I just have to make sure that I have my travel brush in my travel case along with my travel razor and travel strop.....

OOOHHH NO IT'S COMING BACK!!!!!:lol:

Unless you check bags, can't take any blades in a carry on; right?

That's the only down-side to travling with a D.E.

Any wire-around? (Other than pre-shipping blades to your destination or buying some upon arrival?)

Unless you check bags, can't take any blades in a carry on; right?

That's the only down-side to travling with a D.E.

Any wire-around? (Other than pre-shipping blades to your destination or buying some upon arrival?)

the last time i traveled without check a bag, I brought a schick simplified razor and stored the blades in the handle. They flagged it in the x-ray machine, but after simply describing it as an "antique safety razor," i was in the clear!

And when I got to my hotel room, I just cycled the plunger, and felt like a spy as my blade secretly loaded in! :lol:

No AD here, but I did see this unused kit in a nearby antique mall and could not resist. So to further your AD and gain some jealousy points.....

Yes that is an unused puck of Williams. Imprint on it reads "The J B Williams Co. USA"

What a sweet find!

What a sweet find!

Thanks. I have been trying to figure out what the emblem is for the last 2 months with no luck. Obviously US design with the laurel and arrows in the claws, but I can't find anything that matches up correctly.

I have been eyeing the travel Merkur open comb for a week or so. I know eventually I'll buy one. But for me I think that will be the end of the travel purchases. I already have a sweet little boar brush I love to use that is perfect for travel. So the Merkur will be the end of my travel acquisitions.

Yeah right!!! :)

K

I think I've got this too...I hope to get it under control soon :blink:

I just bought the Merkur Travel razor w/ bar...I first saw it on Amazon and thought COOL!! Didn't like the price though...$39.00!

Found it on West Coast for $28 and couldn't resist :thumbup:

One nice thing about the old travel stuff is that short handled travel DE razors, mostly Techs, are not highly sought after and often available in those little travel kits for not much dough. They are often in superb shape, as they didn't see a lot of use.

It's also a kick to bid on an old travel kit and find treasures like the great old Williams puck in there.

Any razor can be packed easily enough and become a travel razor; you don't need a special short-handled one, or one that disassembles but . . . obviously I need a wide selection of razors around so I can pick one I wouldn't mind losing when I go on a trip.:thumbup1: So that's another driver of RAD.

Yeah, shave sticks, I might want those. Several of those sitting around now, and some sample size soaps which would be good for a trip. And then, of course, I wanted at least one extra brush for travel.

And a travel case, yeah, that's the ticket. Actually I have a perfectly good little razor case that came with one of my razors, and will fit any of my other razors except for one of the injectors. But I was buying some stuff from Shoebox Shave, and they had this inexpensive plastic travel case, and it ended up being bought somehow. :001_rolle

Kind of annoying not being able to take blades in carry-ons, especially since most airlines now charge extra for checked luggage. About sneaking injector blades aboard, yeah, you'll probably get away with it, but as others have stated in other threads, it is a violation of TSA rules. Please don't do it. I mailed my DE blades ahead last time, since I didn't want to pay $15 to check my bag. My next overnight trip will be by car, though, so no problem.

Yes, TEAD, another example of how an obsession with shaving can control your life.:blushing:

Top Bottom