What's new

Poll-shaves per blade

Shaves per blade

• I discard the blade when shave quality becomes an issue i.e. presence of shave irritation, weepers

• I discard the blade at a set number of shaves that I determine i.e. 3 shaves then toss

Results are only viewable after voting.
I generally change the blades on a set schedule, Wednesdays and Saturdays. I will toss them if they are causing problems, though. At $.20 each, I don't feel bad about that.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I usually try to push my blades to the limit. I will change it in the middle of the shave if it pulls a tiny bit!

Once a week, toss the blade, although if I'm really feeling a difference with shave quality, I'll change out the blade sooner. This doesn't usually happen, though, now that I've settled on a blade I know works for me.

Changing once a week works nicely because I also do some razor cleaning at that point and I don't have to remember whether I changed my blade or not, or how many shaves it's been since I changed the blade.

I rotate through a variety of razors and might only use a slant for the final pass a few times but maybe for the whole shave another time. That is to say I don't really keep track but I'll change blades or razors if I start to feel it dull or start to pull. If I had to guess, I'd say 4 shaves per blade.

My weekend feathers i change every 3/4 shaves.. My weekly experimental baldes are made to last 3 shaves (M,W,F)

I'll usually go for 3 to 4 shaves with a DE blade, unless it's giving sub-par shaves. If that happens, it gets tossed.

I wait till it starts pulling always. Depending how often im shaving at that point in my life can mean the difference between 3 to 10 shaves.

I use a new blade every shave.

Although the question did not specify what kind of razor was involved, I find it interesting that many people think cartridge shaving is expensive and DE is not. Since I change my M3 blade every 15 shaves, and buy in bulk at Costco at about $2.25 per cartridge (I think), then it costs me only 15 cents per shave. Not bad compared to changing a DE every shave. YMMV, of course.

my beard is so thick, i get 1-2 shaves depending on the blade before it becomes painful atg.need to re-experiment with feathers.

I'll usually go for 3 to 4 shaves with a DE blade, unless it's giving sub-par shaves. If that happens, it gets tossed.

+1. Generally, 4 shaves is the max, at least for the blades I'm currently using. I keep a journal of my shaves so I can keep track of how many shaves are on a given blade, or which razor I'm using most often, and which soap/aftershave combo works better or worse than others. I figure this way, if I found something that really works well or really sucks, I'll know what to change next time around. Plus, it gives me an excuse to use my fountain pen for something shaving related. What could be better than that?

I use Derby blades. I change the blade every Monday. I take Sundays off from shaving. That means I get six shaves from each blade.

Generally, I get three shaves from any particular blade. But to me it is not worth risking a bad shave to try for four, nor to push a bad blade to two or three.

I only shave every other day so I toss after 2 with Derby blades. 3 shaves seemed to be pushing it. I like to replace before irritation or blood. I just got a Merkur 34G so I'll have to see if the Merkur blades do any better. As with cartridge blades, if it draws blood it goes sooner.

Top Bottom