What's new

blade disposal

clearly i'm missing something. there's a thread where somene asked about how to dispose of blades. i saw something else somewhere about properly disposing blades. i didin't read it. (there's so much stuff to read i don't remember where i see anything anymore). i take it i shouldn't just throw it in the garbage for environmental reasons or something? what am i missing?

search for "blade bank"... in short a container for keeping blades until they can be disposed of en masse. dollar store "piggy banks" work well, or you can make your own, then just throw out the whole shebang in the regular trash.

Last edited:
Well, they have to end up there sometime. The best way to dispose of them is by storing the used ones in the bottom end of the blade carrier until your 5 pack is finished. Most blade packs have these. The Derby one is a bit harder to find, as they put a little door on the box.

Then they can safely go in the bin.

i take it i shouldn't just throw it in the garbage for environmental reasons or something? what am i missing?

The idea is, that sharp blades could cut through the garbage bag, and thus cut whomever happens to be handling your garbage. It also not wise to simply throw them into the trash bin, if there is any possibility of young children getting a hold of them.

Proper disposal would include putting them into some sort of razor blade bank; also some DE blade packages have a special blade disposal area built into them.

I am presently using an empty Tootsie Roll cardboard container that has a slot in the top, I will seal it up with some duct tape when it is full; it was designed to be a coin bank.

Other people are using empty soup cans, that they have cut a slot into.

What I've done is just take a soft drink can and cut a slit in the top where the pull tab was. Drop your used blades into it. It'll probably take you a couple of years to fill to around 1/2 to 3/4. It doesn't matter how long it takes, when you feel there are enough blades in the thing, just tap the top closed with a hammer and re-cycle the whole thing. There's a free blade safe, and if you want you can paint/decorate it anyway you'd like. Very simple, and it works. Give it a try. :jump:

got it. i guess that never crossed my mind since in my mind, the blade would go in the garbage, end up being covered by whatever else is in the garbage, and since i live alone, i'll know there's a blade in there and wouldn't slice myself. and the way our gargabe is taken, the truck picks up the trash container and dumps the whole thing. once i put it in the container, no other human ever touches the garbage. but i will look around for something. i don't eat tootsie rolls or have other contianers. guess i'll buy something.

Last edited:
ok, so then i don't just throw them in the garbage. But if they eventually go there, then it's not an environmental thing. I still don't get it. Why do i have to buy something or make something to put them in to throw them away as opposed to just throwing them away. What's the difference? I'm still not getting it.

s a f e t y

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
ok, so then i don't just throw them in the garbage. but if they eventually go there, then it's not an environmental thing. i still don't get it. why do i have to buy something or make something to put them in to throw them away as opposed to just throwing them away. what's the difference? i'm still not getting it.

As Rich mentionned, search for 'Blade Bank'.

A blade bank is usually a recipient of some sort to stock your used razor blades. It will be secure so you can't open it. I used an old tin that contained broth. I punched a hole on top, large and long enough to drop my blades. Got ride of the broth, cleaned the tin and now use it that way.

There's a tutorial on how to do this on this forum.

ok, so then i don't just throw them in the garbage. but if they eventually go there, then it's not an environmental thing.
If you were a garbage man, would you handle a bag that you knew had used open razor blades in it?

And there's also this new thing called recycling...:w00t:

Also, one of the online retailers sells a little blade box you can put them in. They're very cheap, less than a $.

I use an empty vitamin container with the lid glued on and a thin slit cut in the lid. Works great, takes forever to actually fill up, is totally safe, and it was free. :biggrin:

I've been looking around for a piggy bank to dispose of my blades in but for some reason they're harder to find than one would assume...

Tossing them into the trash is not a very good idea at all...you have no idea what is happening downstream in the trash.

Slip them into something like an old tin can at least.

I put mine in the bottom of the blade boxes. When that is full I wrap a wind of tape around it and toss that.

Last order from westcoastshaving.com, I included an order for a couple of their $0.99 blade banks. Could have made one myself for free, but making the order was just too easy.

-- John Gehman

I use a baby bottle of all things. But instead of the typical ring it's a full cap. Well the cap is the blue one that came on a gerbers juice bottle that is made to fit a nipple ring. It's cheap, left over from the kids, old one recycled, can't get cheaper than that. So think garage sales and thift stores iffen you don't have one to swipe from your own kids.

i get it. kinda like the sharps box in doctor offices. vitamin containers i have...or will have once the vitamins are used. thanks for the info.

I'm using an onion dip can- cut a single slit in the lid that you press to open, and duct taped the whole thing shut. Rattle rattle, cheap cheap.

G

gone down south

I just throw mine in the comingled recycling bin. There are enough shards of broken glass and tin can lids in there, a razor blade isn't going to up the danger levels significantly.

Top Bottom