What's new

blade disposal

Prescription bottles work too. They are small and can hold 50+ blades.

Small empty jars of food work, like a really small relish jar or mustard jar.

I have taken to running the edges across a whetstone a couple times to dull them before tossing them out. It's a courtesy that takes no time at all to do and could potentially make a big difference to anyone who encounters them in the future.

I'm constantly amazed at the lengths people will go to when it comes to throwing away razor blades! All I have ever done to dispose of blades is to return them to the blade dispenser they came out of, or just toss them directly into trash in a way to sure they won't slice through the trash bag. I have yet to spend and time, effort, or money in creating something to put the blades into.

And no, I'm not going to fret about what happens to my trash from there. Trash often contains other sharp objects such as broken glass, plastic, or cut tin cans. Trash haulers know how to deal with that without injuring themselves.

I just cut a slot in the bottom of an unopened aluminum can and drained out the contents. I can drop my used blades in there and when it's full, I can toss the whole thing in the recycling bin with no sharp edges exposed.

I've read many posts on this subject. People use cans, razor banks, and a few even go as far as mark the container with a special "biohazard" sticker to warn the garbage handlers. One thing is for sure, all agree that the blades shouldn't be simply tossed into the garbage.

I use the razor dispensers that come with my purchases. I jam as many razor blades a I can into one, tape it up the ends with duct tape, then throw it out.

Another way to go at it is to force the blades to breakdown into small rust pieces before throwing them out. It'll take a month or so to do it, but you can do it with a large batch. I've experimented with breaking down the blades using regular household chemicals. The blades are made of thin metal, so they can corrode fast. What worked the best for me was bleach. I placed a couple of blades in a small bowl of bleach for 5 weeks. I saw that the blades slowly started to curl up into rust balls. After 3-4 weeks, they became rusty objects. I poked at them after 4 weeks and they easily broke into pieces. Bleach... it's not just for washing whites.

i use the larger medication bottles that my wife gets. they lay flat, will take may many years to get even half full, and better yet it was free.

cheers and happy shaving

I use a large Altoids tin. I super glued it shut (after eating the delicious peppermints of course) and took a heavy knife and cut a slit in one end just below the rolled edge of the lid. It should hold a ton of blades. When it's full I can tape it shut if I feel like it or just toss it. Kinda has an old feel to the tin...

I made a used blade disposal bank from a soup broth can. I drilled holes for the width of a DE blade, then flared the seam with a flathead screwdriver. It will hold several years worth of blades. Our community has an extensive recycling program, so when the can is full, I will drop in the bin, then make another. $BobbyBs_Blade Bank.jpg

Last edited:
Check out Walmart in the Diabetic supplies, For like $3.50 i know its under $4.00 you can get a Insulin syringe container. I bought one and DE blades fit perfectly in the slots.
For proper disposal most hospitals have a quarterly free turn in. OR a lot of local recycling company's have drop of locations just for these type of containers. Just give your recycling company a call and they will tell you how you can properly dispose of needles or razors.

Actually in a lot of communities if you securely duct tape your sharps container closed it can be disposed in your regular trash barrel.

Top Bottom