What's new

Better disposable razor for flying or traveling in general?

The thread running right now about TSA flying and Cannes, FR has me rethinking disposable razors. They are literally everywhere at price points all over the place. I see BIC Metal being mentioned a lot for some reason.

What are the better disposable razors and why? What are the worst ones or features you like least? What features do you like best? What is your beard like?

Myself, I have pretty wiry whiskers on the "road" so, I typically use 3-bladed disposables as 4 and 5-bladed models are a bit big and don't seem much better. I don't see a huge difference as long as I stick with "major" brand name razors but, the Walmart generic 'Great Value' are pretty cheap and aren't bad either. Especially camping when I hit a roadside rest area, it is nice to have a CHEAP disposable razor to knock the whiskers down. The downside to all of these multi-bladed razors to me is that they get CLOGGED with whiskers and can't be cleared so, for me at least, are often a 'one and done' razor so cheap matters. Regarding waste, if it matters, bring your DE razor!

I've only used it for two trips, but I really like the Penny Shaver from AP Shave Co. It is a single edge with an enormous lather channel, so it never clogs. You're also supporting a great vendor and member here.

One thing though, you must shave differently than a DE! I've found that it works very well if you engage the pivot by adding enough pressure to the top bar to get the pivot at about the mid-point. Then it can pivot either way from there. Shaving with no pressure and not engaging the pivot did not work well at all.

Mach 3 for pivoting and either Good News or Schick ST2 for fixed. Prefer both to the Bics and the Guard is only available on-line for me.

My preferred option for travel is to take a Lord L6. It is a great shaver in the mild/moderate range. And it would not break my heart if forgotten in a hotel room. So, not really ’disposable’ but a fine ’travel’ razor!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

When I was on the road regularly I picked up a Trac II and a 100 pack of Personna carts for it. Still have plenty left too. That was for TSA carry on only trips, but got some use otherwise

I like the KAI paper razor for air travel. It takes little space, is cheap and quite a good shaver. Three bladed metal cart, glued to milk carton paper. No lubrication strip, no plastic. It’s very light, so needs a bit more pressure for shaving.

Attachments

• IMG_6350.jpeg
    IMG_6350.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6463.jpeg
    IMG_6463.jpeg
    824.5 KB · Views: 15
How hard are the Gillette Guard razors to clear the whisker swarf and keep them shaving well?
being single blade, there's not much to clog .... of course it depemds on your lather style, but generally a quick swish will keep things moving. It's also very forgiving with technique - you can bang out a one or two pass shave quickly and be office/evening ready. It's great for a quick 1 or 2 day trip. if I'm traveling harder than that, I'll bring a disassembled KCG and buy blades at the pharmacy and pack my usual travel kit in order to get a proper shave.

I got a handle that fits Gillette Sensor Excel which is two blades. They still sell the blades but just cheap plastic handles now. Original go for fifty bucks but the handle I found on eBay is metal with good weight. It's easy to find plastic handles if you don't care. Here is one if interested:

If for one reason or the other I am unable to bring a DE on my travels I really like the BIC Metal.
You can easily do 6, 3 pass shaves, hardly ever clogs up and doesn't have a snot strip on it.
Was very impressed first time I used it.

I just use the generic store-brand 3-blade disposables on the road (HEB stores in Texas have one that I found pretty good). We're typically visiting my in-laws when we travel, and I don't have space to set up my proper kit. Plus, it's not a relaxing environment, so just a tube of Cremo (finger-applied, no brush) and the disposables get the job out of the way with a minimum of fuss. I find that the disposables last 2-3 days.

If I traveled more often, I'd probably work out a good portable DE shaving routine.

I did see some Bevel disposable DE razors in Target and wonder if they’d be allowed for travel. They are made of bamboo or something.

Otherwise, I travel with a trac ii.

Top Bottom