What's new

Putting bumps on old MMOC

New member, some time lurker. You will be happy to know your discussions over the years have lead me to purchase and try about thirty vintage razors of the SE, DE and injector types.

Rather than bore you with that, here is how I converted my face-scraping “old model” Gem Micromatic open comb to a sweet shaver without shims:

1) Locate the bumps on a “new” MMOC. They are about 1/8” inside the blade cutouts.

2) Find a 1/16” drill bit.

3). Drill two holes that will center where the bumps would be on a new model. Since the MMOC is brass, it isn’t too difficult.

4). Screw in two tiny stainless screws with heads the size of a “new” MMOC bump. I got mine from an old fishing reel.

5). Now for the fun part: File the two screws down until they are the same height as the “new” MMOC bumps, which is approximately .050”. I used a regular file, but you could also use a careful dremel or some coarse sandpaper backed by something rigid. Make sure not to over file or touch anything but the screw heads.

6). When the screw heads are at the proper height, nip the points off the screws that are sticking out the bottom. I used a diagonal cutter, and smoothed with with the same file.

7). Insert one new Gem PTFE blade and enjoy!

Note—yes, I have a spare “old” model. I can use it adequately with an injector blade, but a standard Gem leaves a gap that is way too aggressive for me—YMMV.

IMG_0628.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia. Thanks for sharing your razor “surgery” with us.

Top Bottom