What's new

New Gillette Razor ID Help

I have been DE shaving for about a week, and have been getting presentable shaves, and I am really enjoying shaving for once. I found this razor at an antique mall today. Can someone help me ID this razor? Thanks!

Looks to me like a 1936 Gillette New. Here's a link for you. http://www.mr-razor.com/
proxy.php

Last edited:
It looks like the razor handle is the same, but the bottom part of the head looks to be a different NEW variant. The first one shown is totally flat on the bottom, it seems, rather than having a part that sticks out.

The head is that of a reissue. The slot was milled into a "New Improved" head to use up old stock before Gillette started pressing the slot in the "New" head.

This was common with Gillette when in transition periods.

The head is that of a reissue. The slot was milled into a "New Improved" head to use up old stock before Gillette started pressing the slot in the "New" head.

This was common with Gillette when in transition periods.

I'd found heaps of three pieces, and after some research thought I'd worked out how to sort out and Old vs New Improved v New

When I found this one it confused the ........ out of me. There's wasn't the "slot" in the comb that seemed to "define" a new .

So is that the same with the British News as well ?

Are these the slot's you're talking about on the comb ( which btw is completely different from the milled slot on the OP ) ??

proxy.php

I've been told in another post that it's a British New.

So is this a transitional New as well or was it different with the Brits ???

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have been DE shaving for about a week, and have been getting presentable shaves, and I am really enjoying shaving for once. I found this razor at an antique mall today. Can someone help me ID this razor? Thanks!

What you have found was marketed as the Red and Black Set which contained a "gold-plated Gillette razor and five Gillette Blue Blades". Yours is a variant of the NEW that was only found in this set. It has the flat bottom guard plate used on the discontinued NEW DeLuxe razors, a flat shouldered neck that I have only seen used in these sets, and a common bar handle. I can attest to the fact that this style of head is arguably the best shaving razor head ever designed. The mid to late 1930's time frame is correct and cannot be narrowed down any further without the original blade pack for dating.

Last edited:
What you have found was marketed as the Red and Blue Set which contained a "gold-plated Gillette razor and five Gillette Blue Blades". Yours is a variant of the NEW that was only found in this set. It has the flat bottom guard plate used on the discontinued NEW DeLuxe razors, a flat shouldered neck that I have only seen used in these sets, and a common bar handle. I can attest to the fact that this style of head is arguably the best shaving razor head ever designed. The mid to late 1930's time frame is correct and cannot be narrowed down any further without the original blade pack for dating.

you mean the Red and black set :wink2:

Very good deal. If for any reason you find you do not love it just let me know and I'll buy it off you. Or trade you another model to try instead.
Hey wait a minute! Let some of us other NEW lovers have a chance at that head style!!! I'd love to try a New Deluxe head someday.

Top Bottom