What's new

Henson mild

Can you explain to me what you find superior about the Henson mild compared to an ASD2 or a good Tech? ....
This is what I posted in August last year after few weeks of daily use.
At that time I had the mild only. Recently I have been using the aggressive WTG and XTG, and the mild ATG.

I had to stop wet shaving for two years. Now, for whatever reason, I get nicks even by watching myself in the mirror. I cannot use ANY of the razors that I used to consider mild, Merkur 34 C, Oneblade Genesis, Feather AS-D2, and others including the Gillette Tech, without getting nicks on my neck.
With the AL13 Mild I can do three passes and touch ups, and I get a perfect BBS without any issue. So, in short, it is beyond mild. But it gets the job done, perfectly.
I have the mild only.

Can you explain to me what you find superior about the Henson mild compared to an ASD2 or a good Tech? This wasn't around in my collecting phase and am curious to hear if it's worth the risk of buying one used.

Thanks.
From my experience it has been the comfort level. My skin handles the razor very well. Why? I think it’s how it holds in the blade and the angle it uses. It’s more intuitive for me, at first I didn’t like it and found that I was digging at my face but once I let it do its thing I got great shaves. I think the tech is a great razor but sometimes my skin gets irritated.

It was a learning curve to go from my most used razor, a Weishi TTO, but once I dialed in the Henson Mild, that is all I use now. I've tried a Muhle Rocca, R41, Merkur 34C, Progress, Parker Varient, 96R, Razorock Game Changer, Lupo, Baili BR 171, German 37 slant, PAA Filament, Rex Envoy, to name a few. I am not shopping for razors since I got the Henson. I did buy an aggressive Henson, but sold it. The Mild is perfect for me.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Can you explain to me what you find superior about the Henson mild compared to an ASD2 or a good Tech? This wasn't around in my collecting phase and am curious to hear if it's worth the risk of buying one used.

Thanks.
I’ve never used an ASD2, so can’t compare.

But here’s the thing that was so striking for me. The tight tolerances do a superior job of holding the blade rigidly and minimize flex.

I’ve had people tell me how much they like Astra SP blades and I found them to be very problematic; lots of nicks. Since getting a Henson I now see why people like the blades but because they are so thin they flex very easily in my other razors(including 40’s Super Speeds and Tecs), especially on my wiry whiskers. The flexing is what causes irritation and nicks.

The Henson holds the blade so well that flexing isn’t a problem.

If you like the Henson design idea but prefer a heavier stainless steel razor, the Yates Winning razor might also be a good fit. (I have the first version of the Winning and prefer it to all the Henson variants.)

If you like the Henson design idea but prefer a heavier stainless steel razor, the Yates Winning razor might also be a good fit. (I have the first version of the Winning and prefer it to all the Henson variants.)
I was just looking at those, it will be my next purchase.

I’ve never used an ASD2, so can’t compare.

But here’s the thing that was so striking for me. The tight tolerances do a superior job of holding the blade rigidly and minimize flex.

I’ve had people tell me how much they like Astra SP blades and I found them to be very problematic; lots of nicks. Since getting a Henson I now see why people like the blades but because they are so thin they flex very easily in my other razors(including 40’s Super Speeds and Tecs), especially on my wiry whiskers. The flexing is what causes irritation and nicks.

The Henson holds the blade so well that flexing isn’t a problem.
Sounds good then. But my ASD2 can already give me close shaves with many good blades. Was just curious about this lighter razor.

Thanks.
ASD2 and Merkur 34 are my favorite DEs. I had been curious about the Henson for a while, and a couple months ago decided to give the mild a try. Since then I've been acclimating and comparing, while using a few different blades.

Just like the ASD2, I can get a BBS shave in 2 passes. I don't find the angle "automatic" or "mindless" as I have heard described, and I don't think that the Henson shaves like a cartridge razor, but I think it is easier to get up to speed with the Henson than the ASD2. When I get the angle just right with the ASD2 I don't feel or hear any whisker feedback, while that is not the case with the Henson.

The big surprise to me has been the ergonomics of the Henson. I didn't think that I would like the lighter weight, but I actually do and coupled with the taper of the handle and the knurling I find the Henson to be a very enjoyable tool to use. Superior to the ASD2? Not yet, might happen, but for now certainly superior to a number of other DEs that I have tried.

I'm glad I took the risk on buying the Henson, but as always, YMMV.

I was just looking at those, it will be my next purchase.
I also prefer the first Winning razor over the Henson. I don't know how the second Winning will compare. There's a first version in the BST for $40 shipped.

Top Bottom