What's new

Vintage Gillette Brass Safety Razor

The one from your grandfather probably doesn’t need anything more than a VERY mild cleaning with some warm water and a little dish detergent, based on its appearance in the picture. The blades will have a date code on them, that will tell you approximately when he bought them.

I wouldn’t even consider having that one replated, but if you want to have the other one done here is a thread dedicated to Back Roads Golds work, Chris replated my Father in Laws Gillette 195 that he gave me years ago and it’s beautiful.

Thanks so much for sharing the link to his testimonials.

Also, thank you for mentioning the razor date. That is really cool and gives me a piece of his history. I'll also heed your advice regarding his razor.

It will work fine without plating on it. An old toothbrush and warm water will clean any old soap scum, etc off without damaging anything, and unless there is enough corrosion to make it uncomfortable on your face or keeps the cap from clamping the blade properly, it will work fine.

Take care of your granddad's! Wonderful gift. I have my grandpa's Schick injector, probably from the 40's, maybe earlier. Not anywhere near as nice as your New!

It will work fine without plating on it. An old toothbrush and warm water will clean any old soap scum, etc off without damaging anything, and unless there is enough corrosion to make it uncomfortable on your face or keeps the cap from clamping the blade properly, it will work fine.

Take care of your granddad's! Wonderful gift. I have my grandpa's Schick injector, probably from the 40's, maybe earlier. Not anywhere near as nice as your New!
Thanks! I will. I just cleaned my Grandpa's with detergent and warm water. I don't think he used it much or at all because there didn't seem to be any soap scum on it. The plate has oxidized a bit in some small areas. There are some blackish green marks on the handle, but otherwise looks really nice.

That is super cool that you got a Schick Injector. Those look really cool. It is nice we have a piece of them with us. It is the only thing I have of him.

Yeah, I never met that grandpa, he died shorty before my parents got married in 1950. Those Schick injectors are nice razors too, used it until the late 80s when I suddenly couldn't find blades any more.

I wonder if he ever had a Gillette Old Type, he was in the army during WWI when they were standard issue.

I’ve found my uncle’s New and polished the cap myself. The lacquer was mostly gone so I just polished to clean metal which looks to be a copper layer. It works and shaves just fine. Every once in a while I’ll clean up the patina. Shouldn’t take much time at all to clean up your $3 razor. Mine:

IMG_7142.jpeg

Yeah, I never met that grandpa, he died shorty before my parents got married in 1950. Those Schick injectors are nice razors too, used it until the late 80s when I suddenly couldn't find blades any more.

I wonder if he ever had a Gillette Old Type, he was in the army during WWI when they were standard issue.
Sorry to hear that. I was lucky to at least get 3 years with my grandpa.

Oh that would be awesome, but much more impressive he survived WWI. Nasty war. Back to razors, that would have been a nice hand me down. I really like the old types.

My grandfather also left behind a couple Fatboys, at least I think they are. They are also in great condition, but need a tune up.

I’ve found my uncle’s New and polished the cap myself. The lacquer was mostly gone so I just polished to clean metal which looks to be a copper layer. It works and shaves just fine. Every once in a while I’ll clean up the patina. Shouldn’t take much time at all to clean up your $3 razor. Mine:

View attachment 1775593
That looks great with the brass. Thanks for sharing.

That Red/Black New is just a great looking razor.

I usually clean a nickel plated razor with a good soaking in dawn/water or scrubbing bubbles.
I also use a small brass brush (go easy). The brush really takes care of the last bit of soap scum that seems to get quite hard over time. I wouldn't used any thing abrasive on a vintage Gold razor.

Whatever method I start with, I end up with a polishing cloth. It will even clean off a little bit of soap scum but it really shines things up nice.

I also like round wood toothpicks for getting into tight spots.

Enjoy your NEWs. I love mine. With good technique I expect to have my best shaves with a New.

Call me Dirty

Last edited:
You’ll be happy with the replate.

News are great razors. Worth investing into.

I would replate your Grandfathers for the heck of it. Worth it to use on occasion and pass down

I think I will at some point, but I first want to replate his Fatboy Slim. I accidentally stripped some of the plating off thinking it was soap scum. This was when I knew nothing about vintage razors a few months back. There is also some minor pitting on the safety bar.

I think I will at some point, but I first want to replate his Fatboy Slim. I accidentally stripped some of the plating off thinking it was soap scum. This was when I knew nothing about vintage razors a few months back. There is also some minor pitting on the safety bar.
There's no such thing as a Fatboy Slim. The Slim was the Fatboy's successor.

See: mr-razor Adjustable - https://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Adjustable/Adjustable.htm for photos.

The Slim was a little longer and narrower than the Fatboy. Dealers love to apply the Fatboy moniker to every vintage Gillette the see because there were fewer of them so they were more valuable. Don't let them pull the wool over your eyes.

See: mr-razor Adjustable - https://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Adjustable/Adjustable.htm for photos.

The Slim was a little longer and narrower than the Fatboy. Dealers love to apply the Fatboy moniker to every vintage Gillette the see because there were fewer of them so they were more valuable. Don't let them pull the wool over your eyes.
I was hesitant to use it because I have seen it both ways. I will call it the Adjustable-Slim in the future. It was causing me confusion so I appreciate the clarity.

Although, there is such thing, just not in razors. Fatboy Slim is a 90s band. 🤣😉

I was hesitant to use it because I have seen it both ways. I will call it the Adjustable-Slim in the future. It was causing me confusion so I appreciate the clarity.

Although, there is such thing, just not in razors. Fatboy Slim is a 90s band. 🤣😉

:thumbsup: Very good! I stand corrected. By the '90s I was too busy taking care of my teenagers to pay much attention to music.

There is such a thing as a Fatboy Slim, but he's a music artist, not a razor. 🤣

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Just received finished photos of the 1934 NEW Long Comb Common Bar razor from Chris at Back Road's Gold. It arrived at his place on Wednesday last week and it was completed today. It looks incredible. He did an amazing job. Can't wait to receive it.

This was the razor that started this thread.

View attachment 1784387View attachment 1784388View attachment 1784389
Wow, that's gorgeous! I'd say it's as good as new but it's better than new and will last longer. Enjoy!

Top Bottom