What's new

Discussion thread for Norpro Dip Chiller/Scuttle

It might work alright if you are intending to build your lather in the thing. I don't use my scuttle for that purpose. I build my lather on my face. The scuttle is just used to keep the lather laden brush warm between passes. The product seems a little large, but the five cup capacity of the outer pot should be plenty to keep the inner bowl warm for quite a while.

Being that large and with no handle, it seems like it might be a little awkward in the bathroom. Have you tried it?

You might get more response to your post if you included a link to the product so folks know what it is you are proposing to discuss.

Regards,
Tom

Is this puppy ceramic? It always worries me to have a ceramic bowl in my bathroom with stone counter tops. I can see myself knocking it over and breaking it...

Is this puppy ceramic? It always worries me to have a ceramic bowl in my bathroom with stone counter tops. I can see myself knocking it over and breaking it...

That's why I seek a new bowl, preferably cheap. I dropped a Georgetown scuttle on my stone tile, and it very quickly became no more :mad:

This bowl looks promising -- I may need to do some testing :smile: If you decide to take any photographs of it in action be sure to post.

I wonder if Corning makes something like this. They are usually pretty bullet proof although I don't think they'll survive a fall on a tiled floor.

Another thing I didn't think about was the lack of a handle... I wonder how easy it will be to hold and make lather with wet hands.

It might work alright if you are intending to build your lather in the thing. I don't use my scuttle for that purpose. I build my lather on my face. The scuttle is just used to keep the lather laden brush warm between passes. The product seems a little large, but the five cup capacity of the outer pot should be plenty to keep the inner bowl warm for quite a while.

Being that large and with no handle, it seems like it might be a little awkward in the bathroom. Have you tried it?

You might get more response to your post if you included a link to the product so folks know what it is you are proposing to discuss.

Regards,
Tom

I have used this a total of three times. I just sit the scuttle on my counter and lather in it just like I do a lathering bowl. The size of the outer bowl is actually smaller than my old lathering bowl. I don't find it awkward at all but some may. I have had no problems using this with wet hands, with the outer bowl full of water, the weight alone makes it stay were it is while I am building lather in it so I don't have to hold it that much. Link to product here.

Yes its all ceramic, and at its price point if I break it I could easily get another one without feeling to bad. Besides, when not in use I keep it in my shave cabinet I don't leave it on the sink counter.

The Amazon website listing says "Usually ships within 4 to 5 weeks." Is that accurate? I wouldnt want to wait a month for my order to ship.

I have used this a total of three times. I just sit the scuttle on my counter and lather in it just like I do a lathering bowl. The size of the outer bowl is actually smaller than my old lathering bowl. I don't find it awkward at all but some may. I have had no problems using this with wet hands, with the outer bowl full of water, the weight alone makes it stay were it is while I am building lather in it so I don't have to hold it that much. Link to product here.

OK, the one you linked to is smaller than the one I found by simply going to Amazon and putting in the name. This one seems to have an inner bowl of just 1.5 cups, whereas the one I had found was 2.5 cups. This one looks to be a more reasonable size for the purpose. (I guess there was more reason than I know of when I had suggested you provide a link to the product.)

Regards,
Tom

Even better, you might try this one http://www.debsuniquegifts.com/dc-944.html !! It's even got an image of a badger on it!:biggrin:

Seriously though, I'm thinking of trying one of these chillers as a scuttle. I just haven't decided which design I may want. This particular vendor has a bunch. In addition to nearly 50 designs under the collegiate items link there are around 50 more designs under the kitchenware link.

Al

Al

I picked up a dip chiller at Tuesday Morning for $12, it is not the most attractive piece, has a "nautical" theme. I filled the outer and inner bowl with water just of the boil, showered, dumped the inner bowl put in some Proraso and whipped my lather up. It kept the lather hot for 3-4 passes. While not as attractive as a proper scuttle it is a cheap and effective alternative.

Cheers,
David

This, and the NorPro product are great finds. Sounds like they both work very well as an inexpensive shaving scuttle.

Top Bottom