What's new

Who Says Going to Work Has to Suck?

My search for shaving related items (at both antique stores and drug stores) close to home has gotten pretty sporty. Essentially, I've reconoitered my local drug stores and know what's available there and I cruise the antique stores every other weekend or so. The local drug stores (even the ones where Pinaud Clubman of all types was once plentiful) pretty much carry blades, (both SE and DE) and other standard old school aftershaves (i.e. AV, English Leather, etc.) and of course Williams soap. On a good day you might find an errant bottle of Pinaud Clubman AS or VDH Deluxe soap but lately this has been the exception and not the rule.

I've been looking high and low for Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum and having no success at all (ditto to Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal). So, there I was at lunch time today at work (I work 35 miles or so from home). And I said to myself, I said, "Self, there's a Walgreens a couple blocks up the street. What say we go down there and see if they have any cool shaving stuff?" And so off I went. After an extensive search of the store, I located the shaving stuff and to my surprise and amazement, they had several bottles of both Bay Rum and Lilac Vegetal. Well, you couldn't have slapped the grin off my face over that. I snatched up a bottle of bay rum and on my way to the register, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw VDH Glycerine soap on sale for 62 cents a puck!!! So I snatched up three pucks of that stuff and went on about my business. Ironically though, there was nary a single edge blade on the premises (but I can get them all day down closer to home.) SCORE!!!! Who says work has to suck? :thumbup1:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Was quite amazed myself when I saw what our local Walgreens has on shaving stuff on the shelf. I just stopped in to get a styptic pen, and they had all kind of the Pinaud Clubman products and the whole Nivea line. Some of the Nivea a/s balm was on sale, so I got some as well. They had also some brushes and soap from Van der Hagen (spelling??).
I recommend to check out what the local Drug Fair stores have left on the shelf, they are going out of business and I saw signs for 70% off.

Top Bottom