What's new

When to replace a brush?

OK I am a NEWBIE so bear with and don't laugh at my stupidity. At what point does a shave brush have had a useful life?
I am using a Colgate brush I found that my father used in the sixties.
It does look somewhat ragged now however.

If it works well for you, you can use it of course. But if you're looking for a pleasanter experience you may want a new one. Ragged, stained, lost a lot of hair? I would be planning its second retirement.

If it works well for you, you can use it of course. But if you're looking for a pleasanter experience you may want a new one. Ragged, stained, lost a lot of hair? I would be planning its second retirement.

+1. I know of people using brushes that I swear predate electricity.

Its up to you, whatever your most comfortable with. Is the old Colgage a boar brush? At 40+ years and looking ratty its probably at the end of its useful life. You can keep it as a momento of your Dad's shaving or you could keep the handle and reknot the brush.

It may be time for you to explore other brushes...its okay to have more than one shaving brush...:001_smile

Its up to you, whatever your most comfortable with. Is the old Colgage a boar brush? At 40+ years and looking ratty its probably at the end of its useful life. You can keep it as a momento of your Dad's shaving or you could keep the handle and reknot the brush.

It may be time for you to explore other brushes...its okay to have more than one shaving brush...:001_smile

The handle is cheaply made. I have no clue but probably boar because the bristles are kind of stiff. Also every now and then occasional bristles break off.

If it's stiff enough to actually break, I'd say it's time to get another brush. You'll get a much softer and relaxing experience from just any pure badger than you would from a beaten up boar. I'd get a badger just to try out, and if you don't notice any difference and you like your old brush, you can stick to it...

I am going get a new brush. I will start with an inexpensive badger and will simply cut the boar bristles off to make bucktails for pike fishing.

Top Bottom