What's new

A couple of Kent queries...

The handle on my Kent BK4 chipped when I dropped it in the sink so have been trying to locate a replacement for a couple of years now. Managed to find one at last (see pic) but the handle is really yellow compared with the one on my original. Do the acrylic handles vary in their 'ivoriness'? If not, any ideas how to whiten the handle? My origian BK4 is on the left of the pic.

Also, anyone know if Kent BK2 brushes have the number on the bottom in black, like the BK4 does?

Attachments

• brushes.jpg
    brushes.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
Hi there. I did the same a few years ago with a BK2. I managed to polish it into a nice feel and left the obvious defect on the handle. As for colours they vary a little depends on how they've been store. In the light on a windowsill for example. How ever production used to have very small colour changes. Go for it and enjoy both.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Be careful. I have done a few repairs on Kent brushes, and in the two or three cases, the knots are set into a stainless steel (?) "holder" or whatever it is. Not visible from the outside. One must destroy the whole handle to get the knot out to be transplanted into a newly made handle. Not sure how you will get the knot out from the donor brush. Maybe they have changed this, but be careful. I doubt one can "steam" the knot out (which I have never done anyways). Maybe easier to smooth the cracked part over.

Be careful. I have done a few repairs on Kent brushes, and in the two or three cases, the knots are set into a stainless steel (?) "holder" or whatever it is. Not visible from the outside. One must destroy the whole handle to get the knot out to be transplanted into a newly made handle. Not sure how you will get the knot out from the donor brush. Maybe they have changed this, but be careful. I doubt one can "steam" the knot out (which I have never done anyways). Maybe easier to smooth the cracked part over.
Here is a pic of the 2008 B&B Kent Brush. The knot came out on me and was easily epoxied back in (at least in my case).

Yes, it was in some sort of collar/sleeve.

2014-11-25.jpg

I think the yellowish handle is the effect of sun and daylight over a prolonged period. Perhaps the former owner placed the brush near a window all the time? Who knows.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The first brush I owned was a Taylor of Old Bond Street branded faux ivory model and in my naivety I kept it in the bathroom, on the window sill, with the TOBS logo always facing into the room. After six months or so, the half of the handle that faced towards the window was several shades darker yellow than the opposite side. The natural daylight certainly affected the handle colour, and South Wales, where I live, is not exactly known for its sunny weather 😁

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Here is a pic of the 2008 B&B Kent Brush. The knot came out on me and was easily epoxied back in (at least in my case).

Yes, it was in some sort of collar/sleeve.

View attachment 1797917
Was this one metal?? Looks more like the plastic cup i see on Muehle STF knots. The ones I did had clearly shiny heavy metal "cup", thought it might be stainless steel as it was very bright.

Was this one metal?? Looks more like the plastic cup i see on Muehle STF knots. The ones I did had clearly shiny heavy metal "cup", thought it might be stainless steel as it was very bright.
I believe this one was a plastic sleeve. As you said though, not visible once it was set.

It was a shocker to me when it fell out as it was sleeved and I wasn't expecting it. Made for an easy fix though.

Top Bottom