What's new

African Americans & DE Shaving

Hi..I am a 18 year old black male that has suffered with shaving bumps...somewhere on some site I heard that DE Shaving could help reduce or even eliminate those bumps. Firstly, is DE shaving better to use than cartridge razors/electric razors for African Americans? And, I've yet to take the DE plunge, but what benefits does it have specifically for African American's facial hair?

Thank You Very Much

Welcome dbraz. I'd suggest trying a DE, brush, and shave soap, and shaving with the grain of your beard only until you see how your skin and beard react. I think you'll be pleased. I'm not African-American, but I do have a heavy, coarse, somewhat curly beard. Electrics were not for me!

Is shaving soap better than shaving cream for african americans? and what shaving brush is a good starter one?

Well, I'm not African American, just a caucasion guy with a really tough beard. However, I can tell you that I have had problems with ingrown hair, occasional adult acne, and probably some of that is very similar to the razor bumps that you've experienced, and it has helped my skin significantly. I'm 43 now, but shaving was always a dreaded chore from the time I was 14 or so until just recently.

To be fair, there are probably two factors. Besides the razor type, you really need to prep your face properly when you use a DE. The cream or soap you use, along with some good aftershave treatment is usually really good for your skin. So, together, they really have an impact.

My advice is to read through the info on Badger and Blade and give it a shot. It doesn't cost that much to get started, (sometimes you'll see starter kits posted for sale), and if you decide you don't like it, you can probably re-sell whatever you bought with minimal if any loss.

Best of luck to you! Feel free to pm me if you have any more specific questions later, and I can give you my opinion and then direct you to someplace to read more.

Yes, DE's should help you with razor bumps/Pseudofolliculitis Barbae. It will help specifically because it's a single blade and not a multiblade cartridge.

Mulltiblade cartridges tend to progressively cut the hair below the skin so when the shaft starts to grow back, it gets caught in the skin trying to break back out. A DE will only cut flush with the skin, so you shouldn't have any troubles as it grows back.

All that being said, because most African American men have hair that grows like bedsprings, you first goal with a DE shouldn't be a BBS shave, but instead, go only "with the grain" (WTG) until you get good with your technique. This should prevent razor irritation/burn.

Top Bottom