What's new

Beard hair thickness - does shaving affect it?

Hi gents (and ladies)

I’m kinda new to the forum, lurked for a few years and finally thought I’d take the plunge and create an account and say hello.

I searched the forum but couldn’t find this question posted elsewhere or answered in other threads so wondering if anyone was able to answer this. It seems obvious but I’m still curious to get some facts and opinions.

My question is,
Does shaving make beard hair thicker?

I’ve heard conflicting information and wanted to see if there was a general feeling about this here on the forum.

When I started shaving as a young teen, the hair on my face was fine and as years became decades it became thicker and now it’s thick and wiry. I started off with a DE razor, switched to disposables, then cartridges for a few years and I’ve circled back around to DE for a good number of years. I’ve seen some guys that don’t shave or don’t start until later in life and their facial hair looks finer compared to others I’ve seen that have shaved for years. So any insights? Any and all replies welcome.

Cheers
Sheik

(To the mods - If I’ve posted this in the wrong forum or there is a forum it’s better suited to, please feel free to move if needed)

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Welcome, @Sheik Yerbouti !

Shaving can make hair feel thicker because the ends won’t be tapered and the shorter whiskers won’t be as flexible as longer whiskers, but that’s as far as it goes.

Lock up your wallet, checkbook, and electronic payment methods and please enjoy the forum

I was told as kid in 1950's if you shave too young, you bear with become think, or darker earlier in life.

If Beard is Hair, I should have full head of Thick Dark Brown Hair, as I got first HairCut @ age 2.

:c1:

LOL.

If this was true it would have made my dad a very happy man.

Welcome. 🙂

My understanding: it is a myth.

Pretty sure a thickening beard is part of the normal maturation and aging process. Where it ends is determined by genetics.

It’s one of the theories I’d heard.

I agree it gets thicker with age, I don’t think that is disputed. Genetics also. All else being equal it’s just about whether it gets additionally thicker by cutting. Cheers Joe.

Welcome, @Sheik Yerbouti !

Shaving can make hair feel thicker because the ends won’t be tapered and the shorter whiskers won’t be as flexible as longer whiskers, but that’s as far as it goes.

Lock up your wallet, checkbook, and electronic payment methods and please enjoy the forum

I hear you but I’m just not sure it accounts for all of it.
The Sikhs from India don’t cut their beards (or hair) and many of them have a wispy and thinner look compared to a regularly shaved face that’s then left to grow a beard out.
Thanks for your input thombrogan.

Finding twins that have had opposing shaving/non-shaving grooming routines might prove tricky...

1693928121559.png

. . . ^ REFERENCE LINK ^ . . .

Welcome to B&B, Sheik Yerbouti. :cornut:

The Sikhs from India don’t cut their beards (or hair) and many of them have a wispy and thinner look compared to a regularly shaved face that’s then left to grow a beard out.

Finding twins that have had opposing shaving/non-shaving grooming routines might prove tricky...

Longer hair is generally percieved as soft and wispy when compared to beard stubble. I'm thinking among Sikhs there is a genetic trait common among some members of the group which may not be universal to all members.

Some Sikhs have the wispy hair. But there are also many among them with very wiry thick beards. Just like in any other ethnic group there is the variation.
Shaving your hair will not make it thicker. It is a natural process of aging. Those who don't shave their chest hair certainly notice thickening with age. The hair shaft diameter increases, also more hair grows on your chest and back.

Last edited:
Welcome, Sir.

Genetics. I'm Esau hairy, as was my Father.

I strongly second the sentiment below, and I only found and joined B&B this past Spring.

Some Sikhs have the wispy hair. But there are also many among them with very wiry thick beards. Just like in any other ethnic group there is the variation.
Shaving your hair will not make it thicker. It is a natural process of aging. Those who don't shave their chest hair certainly notice thickening with age. The hair shaft diameter increases, also more hair grows on your chest and back.

Thank you for your thoughts on this ivan.

I’m grateful to everyone that’s responded to my query. I haven’t ignored anything you’ve said, on the contrary I’ve taken on board everything you’ve said.
Age/maturity, genetics, freshly shaved hair looks thicker, environment all of it but I feel there’s still something else to this.

From the thousands or more people I’ve encountered in my life personally, I have to add a few things. I don’t think shaving makes beard hair thicker over night (diameter of a single follicle), but over many years I think it does possibly have an effect. I have noticed that people that shave have a beard that looks different to those that haven’t. It looks thicker, the borders/edges seem more ragged, compared to the softer look of those that haven’t shaved. I’m unconvinced that it’s just a myth.

It’s been a curiosity of mine for years and I don’t think there’s any easy way that I’ll be satisfied it’s only age/genetics perhaps outside of a decades long twin study.

I truly appreciate all the responses. Thank you.

I don't think shaving makes them thicker. But, I think these days beards are so prevalent, and there's so much grooming, with soaps, conditioners, oils, mooses and such, that can really help them look better.

Top Bottom