What's new

Any info on "John Weiss & Sons" Straight Razors?

I picked up a nice wedge straight last weekend, made by John Weiss & Son, 287 Oxford St, London. It has this engraved on the tang, as well as a Crown with "C R" engraved under the Crown.

I wanted to get it rescaled (at the moment it has white scales, which look like fake ivory, as they have lots of those very thin lines going down them - like fake ivory) but I just want to make sure I'm not spending lots of money on a razor that is, either, a bit rubbish, or that is collectible (in some sense).

I know that John Weiss & Son used to (and still do actually) make surgical instruments, and were appointed Razor makers to the King at one stage during the C19th. At the end of the 1800s they then moved to the address I mentioned above (according to their website).

they are good razors, I don't think it's collectible.
if the scales are functional, why don't you use it as it is for now and decide later on replacing the scales.

To be honest, the scales are a little...boring. I generally prefer non-white scales, unless there is some form of design on them (e.g. Dovo Renaissance). I was actually more curious about whether it is a good razor.

Top Bottom