What's new

How Often Do You Go for BBS?

My shaving goal is to reach a stage that is comfortable to me ... as such, I usually stop after a pass and a half. This gets me to the point where I'm presentable, and the results last about 1 day before I can "feel" the need to shave, and about 2 days before I "look" like I need a shave.

Shaving isn't required for my job, so I can skip it entirely for 2 or 3 days. Generally, I shave Sunday and Tuesday nights for work, then on Friday night I go into my weekend routines, which are more time-consuming and produce closer results.

I spend more time on my shave when I'm getting styled up Friday and Saturday for nights on the town. On those few occasions when I've gotten close to BBS, its always been when I'm experimenting with a new razor, blade or consumable. If I get good results on the first pass, I just keep going and going until the whiskers are all gone.

I never actually try for BBS, but when it happens, its usually at a cost of some neck irritation. So I try to strike a good balance between what gives the closest shave, but also is the most comfortable ... the latter taking priority.

Since I'm still learning my technique, I'm happy settling for a DFS (I can feel a bit of stubble when I rub ATG). I'm looking forward to getting that perfect BBS shave though. :cool:

A shave for me is not complete if it is not BBS. If it is not BBS, the hair shows clearly (blessed with very thick strong facial hair) which are far apart, and surprisingly just bend if I go WTG rather than get neatly cut. So the only logical thing to do is, ATG. So my three pass shaves are now XTG + ATG then clean up any remaining. Technique is the most important here, though I can honestly say that if you aim for BBS daily, you will have a slight irritation daily even if you do it with great skill. However, any irritation I get is usually gone within an hour.

I dont' know. I can't say I ever consciously go for a bbs shave at any given time, but there are days when everything seems right and I know I'll manage one, and that's when I do.

My usual shave is 4 passes. Its a pretty darned good shave, though never perfect. "BBS" means perfect to me. But perfection is just not important to me. Comfort is. So is looking good. Why does it have to be perfect?

Three pass shave with Schräge Vorschlaghammer, IP blade, tallow soap, close enough to BBS to suit me every time.

I try for a DFS everyday. That's been an easy target to hit. I'm in the process of identifying problem spots - currently the throat behind the goatee, down to about the Adam's Apple, and the angle along the jawbone. I'm also working on developing the skills to deal with those areas.

Yep, this is pretty much what I'm doing too -- I get a DFS every day, but sometimes conditions aren't right for anything more than a DFS. BTW, it can take a while to identify and cope with those problem areas without some bad consequences from trying too hard! :blushing:

I usually don't try. If I want I can get in on my chin, upper lip, and cheeks anytime and as often as I want but the jaw line and neck don't take to it very well. As I continue to hone (no pun intended) my techniques I'll give a go every month or two. Still working on it though.

I was doing it every day until I realized I almost didn't need to shave the following day. And since I actually enjoy shaving now, I didn't want to deprive myself the joy of shaving every day.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Usually every day. Sometimes I skip a day entirely. Some days I am rushed and just do a quick, "good enough" shave.

I try for it daily but I'm not upset if I don't get it. A shave that isn't BBS is generally quite presentable anyhow.

Top Bottom