What's new

Dream breakfast

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
With all due respect to the "what did you eat for breakfast" thread, what is your ideal breakfast? Burnt toast on father's day? A bloody mary in Vegas?

I love breakfast, and exotic omelettes, french toast, home made waffles or pancakes are way up the list. Still, for me the perfect breakfast would be-

Fresh OJ
A perfect bagel with cream cheese, lox (preferably home made- much easier than it sounds), sliced onion and tomato, and a slice of swiss.
Throw in a decent cuppa joe and I'm in heaven.

What's your idea of a perfect breakfast?

Eggs Benedict done perfecty. Apply Juice, A good book, All served in an outdoor hot tub on the side of a beautiful glacier.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1) My mother makes the best blueberry pancakes. Give me a stack of 4 (hasta be 4 ... stack thou not three, neither stack thou four, excepting that thou then proceedst to four. Five is RIGHT OUT!) with real butter and real maple syrup, and a good cuppa joe, and I'm in heaven.

2) there's this little hotel in the middel of nowere in the Philippines, and they serve a decent brekkie there ... fried eggs, rice, choice of meat (get the lagostinas) and a bit of mango. Now, add a few more mango halves and introduce the Filippinos to proper coffee, and you got something there!

3) Out camping ... fry an egg and bacon over the campfire. Toast a bagel over the campfire. Put the egg and bacon in between the slices of bagel, with a slice of cheddar. Eat, standing by the campfire.

4) A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and thou. (Said to Jessica Alba, not to Ouch.)

OJ, coffee, scrambled eggs with a fair bit of salt and pepper, fried taters and onions, and perhaps a bagel with cream cheese, fresh basil, cucumber, tomato, and dill. (Learned in Brooklyn that that type of bagel is good. Gotta love bagel brunch at the bar. :smile:)

I am very happy with an old fashioned southern country breakfast. Pancakes, fried or scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage patties or country ham, biscuits, grits - that kind of stuff.

But other things can be very nice, too.

Tim

bowl of cereal with fresh blueberries in it. like every day.

Edit: wait, wait, wait. I will take #1 on Doc4's list. fresh blueberry pancakes. Can your Mom send me some please?

2nd runner up: Classic bagel and lox, with neuchaftel instead of cream cheese, sliced tomato, red onion, and capers. Triple-strength hazelnut latte.

1st runner up: Perfect Eggs Benedict, served with perfect Bloody Mary.

Winner: Chicken fried steak (with white country gravy) and eggs (over easy) with crispy hashbrowns au gratin. Tabasco on everything, and OJ and fresh ground black coffee.

Well, I do live in Texas, after all. :001_rolle

NANP™

Wow. This is a tough one since I love breakfast, as my waistline will readily attest. Ideal? That would be two or three or four of my mum's freshly gathered hens eggs(double yolks a bonus), gently fried over low heat on a nicely blackened Lodge brand round cast iron griddle. Along with this you may add some thoroughly toasted muffins(okay English muffins if you must but I have never heard an Englishman call them that), slathered with butter, no margarine please. After the butter has melted into the nooks of the muffins you must then add the crowning touch. A liberal dose of Frank Cooper's Vintage Oxford Marmalade. Don't worry, it is easier to eat it than remember it's name. Freshly brewed coffee is a must with this. Ah, what about the bacon? You see, right before you started all this stove top cooking you took about a pound of apple wood smoked bacon and laid it on a aluminum foil or a stainless cooling rack on a large sheet cake pan and inserted it into a 325F oven. At the ten minute mark you turned the bacon(if cooking on aluminum foil) and started the cooking on top of the stove. When the bacon comes out picture perfect at the end of the last ten minutes you give it a quick rest and drain, then serve at the table. A glass full of cold orange juice is a nice add on. Remember, gently fried eggs over low heat with NO brownish crispy edges to the whites and no hard cooked yolks. Over easy means over easy to me.

Now for the days when I don't get the ideal, I substitute other waistline enhancers. Eggy bread(French toast) made with a artery clogging amount of eggs and whole milk for the custard. This should have a bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and vanilla added to it, the bread thoroughly soaked in it and then fried over medium low heat till well done. See above comments about the Lodge cast iron griddle. I usually use a mix of butter and peanut oil for this one. The oil keeps the butter from browning too much or even burning. Add the syrup of your choice and enjoy. Real maple is nice but it does get expensive. I won't even get started about the scratch buttermilk pancakes or the ridiculously good waffle batter recipe I found at Mr. Breakfast. I am gaining weight as I type! BTW, though it sounds a bit odd to most of us, a bit of smoked fish in the morning is a great replacement for the bacon. Well, sometimes.

Regards, Todd

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Runner up for me, and #1 on the little one's list, is home made cheese blintzes with sour cream.
Poached eggs for the missus.

Sunday Sterling Brunch at Bally's Las Vegas

Sure, it's $75 per person (hence a once a year splurge), but you get unlimited osetra caviar, lobster, top quality sashimi, about 40 or 50 other breakfast and lunch entree's, and all you can drink Perrier Jouet champagne. It usually takes Mrs. Pez and I two to three hours to leisurely make our way through brunch. We usually have to play tourist for the next few hours and walk around, as there is no way we are driving any where after the brunch.

I am very happy with an old fashioned southern country breakfast. Pancakes, fried or scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage patties or country ham, biscuits, grits - that kind of stuff.

+1!

But other things can be very nice, too.

Four pieces of dark toast, cut diagonally and arranged on a large plate. On top of that, four eggs over easy (do not break the yolks). Two large ladles of thick, chipped creamed beef deposited thereupon. Garnish with hot sauce. Serve with a medium glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice, a large side of grits w/garlic and grated Parmesan cheese, and a 16oz French press of fresh-ground, fresh-brewed India Anohki (Liberica) coffee, lightened-and-cooled with "real" Half 'n Half.

This was my regular breakfast every Saturday and Sunday mornings, while stationed at Ft. Richardson, just outside of Anchorage, AK.

M

modern man

Burnt toast and a bloody mary in Vegas on Fathers day.

+1

OK, OK...

Scrapple, 2 eggs over easy, 2 strips of bacon, toast, homefries, and coffee.

Or,

proxy.php

Top Bottom