What's new

Regional Sandwiches You Need to Try in Your Lifetime! ;-)

Yeah, I'm very well-acquainted with both La Segunda Bakery and Columbia I wouldn't describe either of their Cuban breads as a roll ("a small piece of baked yeast dough"). You can see what Tampa Cuban bread looks like at that link. They press the sandwich flat, but Cuban bread doesn't start small, thin, or flat, at least none that I've ever seen. It starts out kind of like a baguette or a loaf of Italian bread.

If you're ever in the area, I recommend you get a breakfast sandwich from La Segunda. I like them better than their Cubans.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Yeah, I'm very well-acquainted with both La Segunda Bakery and Columbia I wouldn't describe either of their Cuban breads as a roll ("a small piece of baked yeast dough"). You can see what Tampa Cuban bread looks like at that link. They press the sandwich flat, but Cuban bread doesn't start small, thin, or flat, at least none that I've ever seen. It starts out kind of like a baguette or a loaf of Italian bread.

If you're ever in the area, I recommend you get a breakfast sandwich from La Segunda. I like them better than their Cubans.
I hope I get to try it. The bread is unusual. It looks like a baguette that was made with such a hydrated dough that it spread a bit and fell. So each slice has the top or bottom crust on the outside. As a lover of the heel, that is truly a wonderful outcome.

I’m lucky enough to live in a city that has a large Vietnamese community. My wife has been to Vietnam but I haven’t been yet. Anyway, Banh Mi AKA Vietnamese sandwich. On a baguette , pickled veggies, cilantro and those thin sliced jalapeños add some wow. We used to get a sand for $2. Nowadays it’s $5-$7 and still a bargain for fresh food.

Texas - sliced beef sandwich, which is slices of brisket with onions and a few jalapeno slices usually served on a hamburger bun or occasionally on french bread or similar Mexican roll known as a bolillo. Sliced beef sandwiches use good quality cuts of brisket. Chopped beef sandwiches are tasty too, which are brisket chopped up fine and mixed with bbq sauce.

In Texas, BBQ is beef, the end. Only in pockets of the Piney Woods of East Texas is pork cooked.

Last edited:
If you wanna start a "discussion" in the Garden
State, debate whether you call it pork roll or
Taylor ham....

1690628409249.png

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Texas - sliced beef sandwich, which is slices of brisket with onions and a few jalapeno slices usually served on a hamburger bun or occasionally on french bread or similar Mexican roll known as a bolillo. Sliced beef sandwiches use good quality cuts of brisket. Chopped beef sandwiches are tasty too, which are brisket chopped up fine and mixed with bbq sauce.

In Texas, BBQ is beef, the end. Only in pockets of the Piney Woods of East Texas is pork cooked.
While in Texas beef brisket is the definitive BBQ meat, the smoking of other meats is creeping into our culture. In Austin, even in hallowed places like Franklin, pulled pork, pork ribs, and even turkey are offered. I am with you on the sliced beef sandwich. Far too often chopped beef is drenched in sauce. I like my BBQ with no sauce. Sometimes I like it without even onion and jalapeño. A sausage wrap makes an excellent dessert. My favorite beef sausages always have some zing, both jalapeño and black pepper, cheese optional.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
How is it that I'm just now discovering this thread? To borrow from an earlier post, "You had me at regional sandwich"
BTW - I have an upcoming trip to the Big Easy later this year and will definitely be looking for a good Muffuletta and Po Boy.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Stoneville Saloon, Alzada, Montana: "Cheap Drinks, Bad Food, Poor Service." They're only 1/3 correct. :)

I used to ride up there from Black Hawk, South Dakota and get a chicken fried steak sandwich. Probably the ride up and back was the real attraction, though I must say in those days the bartender had big hair and a leopard-print body suit and enough sass to make a platoon of truckstop waitresses shut up and take notice.

O.H.

How about when in Portugal? Bifana or Francesinha. The Francesinha is a little much for me, but you have to do it once. The Bifana is simply pork in a spicy broth spooned onto a roll. It's a satisfying quick hitter.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
When in Australia, try Vegemite. Best with butter on toasted or very fresh bread. That chemical concoction Marmite is no substitute to the all natural Vegemite.

Top Bottom