What's new

Regional Sandwiches You Need to Try in Your Lifetime! ;-)

Back in the day I am old (late 1980's) a bar in Monroe, Wi. had a basic sandwich. It was a 1/4" thick aged swiss cheese (local cheese) on rye bread and if you wanted you could put as much fresh horse radish sauce as you wanted on it. The sandwich was a buck and the beer was cold.
Baumgartner's perhaps?

Another Philly classic is the Italian roast pork, sharp provolone, long hots and broccoli rabe on an Italian roll. Far superior to the cheesesteak IMHO.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Filling in a couple holes that I've noticed from my travels...

Kentucky- Hot Brown

Massachusetts- Fluffernutter (c'mon @Owen Bawn Bawn )
Here you go...

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I remember when I was a student at Oregon State back in the '80s that the university president was, as my father would say, "a bit of a blue-nose." Which was to say he thought university students shouldn't have beer available too close to campus, because then they'd drink it. :001_rolle Then -- as now! -- that seems like a needlessly womperjawed perspective. So we got one pub across the street, then we got another one. After that, no more; but the two were pretty good and one of them was still in operation as of June this year when I was back in the old 'hood to see some friends.

The other pub had better food, though. There was at the time some silly law on the books that alcohol could only be served to patrons who purchased "food." Food in quotes because an order of "mojo potatoes" was "food." But for a buck they'd hand you a salami sandwich. Most people took the sandwich (representing a cheaper bribe to get beer) and then handed it back, still wrapped, when they left. Turned out, they used a pretty good grade of salami in that dollar sandwich. Two pieces bread, no mayo. But on the nacho bar you could snag a scoop of ranch dressing and some pickled veggies.

I realize I'm not makin' a real strong case, here. :) But I ate a number of those sandwiches. I'd stop in around lunch time and snarf up a pitcher and a couple sandwiches, and that was enough fuel to get through the afternoon classes before some serious partying.

Ahh. Back in the day, when I had digestion.

O.H.

My attempt at a bifana today. Not bad, but I’d rather have it in Porto!

Attachments

• IMG_5838.jpeg
    IMG_5838.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 71357042244__7EDD8993-9309-4365-B460-CED4ECA23E88.fullsizerender.jpeg
    71357042244__7EDD8993-9309-4365-B460-CED4ECA23E88.fullsizerender.jpeg
    877 KB · Views: 5

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
A few years ago I discovered Tortas Ahogadas; the "Drowned Sandwich." When I'm back in the Old Country I often stay in a part of town that is heavily Latin@ because rooms are cheap, food is fantastic, the street vibe is groovy and people with narrow attitudes don't seem to be as thick on the ground. My brother, who lives in that area as well, spends most of the year hunting up interesting places to go eat when I come along one or two weeks out of the year.

One year we spent a few nights grazing little sit-down places that were buried inside markets, bakeries, butcher shops and convenience stores. Granted, some of the food we had was of the fill-the-tank, check-the-tires, grab-a-coke-and-a-burrito level, but most of it was most amazingly good. We had heard references to the Tortas at one place (his city was once blessed with a couple of old dudes who wrote a weekly column in the paper and went to some really off the wall places to eat) so we saddled up and roared down to the place.

A large robust bun, pile of shredded barbecue pork, fried onions and about a pint of some rather piquante chili de arbol sauce. Apparently the home tradition is to be man enough to eat the sandwich while wearing a white shirt, and still be wearing a white shirt when finished.

I also have a tradition for one day during my stay: start the morning with carne asada, take lunch with a platter of carne asada fries, and then wrap up the day with an Oregon Burrito: carne asada, fries, cheese and salsa fresca in a burrito.

Take me home and hang me over the fireplace; I'm stuffed.

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't know if slow roasted brisket sandwiches are regional, but I sure love them here in the Southern States. I have a few books on BBQing and the authors from are all over, so I'm sure you can get them in a variety of places, but the first time I had one was here in Florida... and it was great.

Since then, my wife got me a Big Green Egg and I learned to slow roast/smoke brisket myself. It's a lot of fun.

I’m lucky enough to live in a city that has a large Vietnamese community. My wife has been to Vietnam but I haven’t been yet. Anyway, Banh Mi AKA Vietnamese sandwich. On a baguette , pickled veggies, cilantro and those thin sliced jalapeños add some wow. We used to get a sand for $2. Nowadays it’s $5-$7 and still a bargain for fresh food.

I love these! There are a few places here where I can get them on a croissant instead of a baguette. There’s a mom and pop liquor store downstairs from our office run by a Vietnamese family. They have a little restaurant operation in the back so I get a Bahn Mi sandwich from them once in a while. It’s not the best, but it’s good and I like giving them business. They only make it traditional with pork and pâté. And they don’t have croissant bread.
IMG_2398.jpeg

My mom's favorite was the pressed Cuban sandwich from Silver Ring Cafe in Ybor City, Florida. If we were driving to or through Tampa, we would swing by and grab one for her. Those minor detours are still among my fondest childhood memories.

My favorite sandwich is the "Big Frankie" from Frankie's Pizza and Italian Ristorante in Osprey, Florida. I was introduced to this sandwich many years ago when I was in high school and the restaurant was in Sarasota. I try to add a visit to my itinerary whenever I'm fortunate enough to be in town.

Thanks, @The Count of Merkur Cristo for making me more than a little homesick. It may be time to dig into my vacation hours and plan a trip.
:cool:

Be well and stay safe

Taylor Ham...or Pork Roll......
Pats....or Geno's.....
Catsup...or Ketchup...on a hot dog???

Asking for a friend...

Top Bottom