What's new

Migas: The Bloody Mary of Foods

Hey,
I just made some migas this morning (my standard Sunday morning dish for me and the missus). I just read the thread where some B&B members were picking a place to meet for migas in Austin, TX. There you can go to a plethora of restaurants and get a different version of migas at each one. Yes, El Guapo, I said a plethora. Ask 10 Austin residents where to go for Migas and you'll get eight different answers: Magnolia will get 3 nods. Having moved from TX to MN in 2002, I really miss going out for Sunday breakfast and having Migas. The first time I had Migas was in college at UT, Austin in 1976 at Trudy's Texas Star (original one). Yep, I remember my first time. Bet you do (or will), too. After a long Saturday night of Austin revelry, nothing helped meet a late Sunday rise like a trip to get migas.

I looked around and did not see a Migas thread. So here goes. I failed to get a picture, but will add one the next time I make them. These are just the way I make 'em. Easy to make, easy to clean up and fast. I've no doubt others have better recipes, and I for one would love to see them.

Perry's Migas (serves 2 very hungry or hung-over folks)

• 1 tablespoon butter
  • 6 eggs, beaten with some milk as you would for scrambled eggs
  • 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced (white is more traditional I think)
  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes (regular is fine, "Hot" if you like the heat)
  • 1 or 2 handfuls of tortilla chips from bag (yeah, plain doritos type or equal, easy and they provide salt for the dish, and i've always got them on hand)
  • Cheese of your choice: melted velveeta-milk, shredded mexican blend, melted cheese-velveeta, whatever, or none if watching calories; og easy on cheese or you'll lose the taste of everything else
  • Diced serrano or jalapeno peppers for garnish and heat if desired.

1. Put two plates in the microwave to heat up later.
  2. Put some flour tortillas wrapped in foil into a warmer or low oven. If you have help they can heat them in skillet one at a time as you are finishing up the eggs.
  3. Open can of Rotel and pour into sieve to drain over the sink.
  4. Add butter or Pam to 12 inch skillet set on medium to medium-hot. Melt and saute the onions till just about softened (4 minutes).
  5. Add the drained Rotel tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes or till most of the remaining moisture is gone (we don't want pink eggs).
  6. Add the eggs and lower heat to finish cooking.
  7. Crumble in the chips. Size is a choice. Not too small, not too big. There you've got it.
  8. Start the microwave to heat the plates (we're not savages you know; and you get to say "hot plates" when you bring them to the table)
  9. If making melted velveeta (a la Trudy's) do with the plates in the microwave

Once the eggs are ready, off the heat and plate onto the warmed plates. Top with cheese and garnish w/ diced peppers. Serve w/ the warmed tortillas and coffee and maybe a bloody mary. You can put salsa out for those who need more tomato-y migas.
While eating you can read the paper, but not any real news. You are looking for something to do later in the day. Think lifestyle, entertainment, that kind of thing. It's the weekend for heaven sake.

Last edited:
Sorry, a bit confused here and have never heard of this, but the chips seem to be the only thing "special" about this. What am I missing?

My migas recipe is a bit different but essentially the same. Usually, I skip the cheese and use salsa on the side in the place of Rotel. Also, I always use old corn tortillas in my migas instead of chips. Shred them up, place them in the a hot, oiled pan and brown. Yum.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My migas recipe is a bit different but essentially the same. Usually, I skip the cheese and use salsa on the side in the place of Rotel. Also, I always use old corn tortillas in my migas instead of chips. Shred them up, place them in the a hot, oiled pan and brown. Yum.

I am with you (except for the cheese- have to have cheese. And velveeta should NEVER be an option). Rotel? Even "hot" Rotel is pretty tame. Of course, we are in Texas, and know better :biggrin:

Is there a version with pork rinds? I've done that before. Maybe I'll try it with your recipe as a substitute for the chips and minus the cheese. Thanks for the idea as I eat eggs six days a week easily.

Pics?

Who else is making Migas this weekend?! :w00t:
Was out of cheese. Made them anyway. Serranos on the side.
$Migas.jpg

Last edited:
Id be interested to know the origin of the name. I speak Spanish pretty well and migas means crumbs to me.....?

'Migas' is the short version of 'migajas', which is the exact translation for 'crumbs'.

To get a perfect traditional migas you don't need anything fancy...just:

-1-2 corn tortillas
-1-2 Eggs
-1 tablespoon any oil
-dash of salt
-1 thinly sliced garlic.

1. Dice the tortillas in 0.5" squares, slightly fry with the slices of garlic and oil until lightly crunchy.
2. Remove garlic pieces (optional), add eggs and season with salt. Mix and cook to desired consistency.

Enjoy!

Some like the chips bland or crunchy, small are easier to fry and get crunchier while large squares tend to get bland.

Sides: Refried or black beans topped with cotija or similar crumbled cheese / Guacamole / half sliced tomato

my 2cents :)

Top Bottom