What's new

Looking For U.S. Army S.O.S Recipe

The secret is to substitute evaporated milk for whatever you would normally use. And have some Tabasco at hand. I just made it for my family last weekend.

The secret is to substitute evaporated milk for whatever you would normally use. And have some Tabasco at hand. I just made it for my family last weekend.

Got to try it that. All we got is low fat milk around this joint and I know that leaves a bit to be desired.

-jim

That's interesting that the official recipe calls for chipped beef (or also "dry" or "chopped"). I ate at a whole bunch of chow halls over 8.5 years, and it was always hamburger. I'll have to try it that way.

You might be thinking of creamed beef, sometimes used for SOS as well. But the original SOS recipe called for chipped beef.

I just made this last night. My grandmother used to make this back in the day. She used to call it "creamed hamburger". I saw this post and decided to make a batch in her honor. It was good, but of course it wasn't as good as grandma's.

You might be thinking of creamed beef, sometimes used for SOS as well. But the original SOS recipe called for chipped beef.

Chipped beef is neat for its historical significance. Anytime you have a dried meat like that, you know that you're looking at a recipe that has some deep roots. I can imagine soldiers from Washington's army huddled around a fire cooking it up in a pot, or Napoleon's Old Guard in a broken down farmhouse stewing it in the fireplace. However, all that having been said, I would much rather eat creamed beef.

Top Bottom