What's new

Dressing for a Wedding

This wedding is a bit different than what is the common image of one. Justice of the Peace marriage and then to a reception. I imagine the amount of people will be minimal and the reception is just dinner, no real entertainment. Anyways, I was thinking of just wearing a pair of trousers and shirt: no blazer or top. Any advice (not looking to spend much)?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
At a minimum, ask your bride what you should wear.

Ask her in a way that she can voice her actual opinion, not have to shoot down your dockers-esque outfit. Try
"Dear, I'm wondering about what I should wear to our wedding and reception. What outfit for me would be a good match for what you will be wearing?"
... not:
"Dear, there isn't anything wrong with me wearing these trousers and shirt to our wedding, right?"

IF it's her idea for you to wear a Dockers ensemble to the most important day of your life, then bombs away! If however (and as I strongly suspect) she starts mentioning a tux, or a nice suit with a tie that matches the bridesmaid's gown, &c., stow that afoementioned notion of yours away where she'll never hear it. She's expecting you to be as pumped about the wedding as she is, and to her, the way you dress expresses that excitement; if she comes to know that you thought that THAT outfit was acceptable and appropriate ... even if you tux it up for the day eventually ... she'll always remember what you thought on your own and had to be corrected out of.

There's nothing wrong with being the best dressed man at your own wedding. :biggrin:

At a minimum, ask your bride what you should wear.

Ask her in a way that she can voice her actual opinion, not have to shoot down your dockers-esque outfit. Try
"Dear, I'm wondering about what I should wear to our wedding and reception. What outfit for me would be a good match for what you will be wearing?"
... not:
"Dear, there isn't anything wrong with me wearing these trousers and shirt to our wedding, right?"

IF it's her idea for you to wear a Dockers ensemble to the most important day of your life, then bombs away! If however (and as I strongly suspect) she starts mentioning a tux, or a nice suit with a tie that matches the bridesmaid's gown, &c., stow that afoementioned notion of yours away where she'll never hear it. She's expecting you to be as pumped about the wedding as she is, and to her, the way you dress expresses that excitement; if she comes to know that you thought that THAT outfit was acceptable and appropriate ... even if you tux it up for the day eventually ... she'll always remember what you thought on your own and had to be corrected out of.

There's nothing wrong with being the best dressed man at your own wedding. :biggrin:

+1 to this.

If it is you getting married now begins the time in your life where you don't know how to dress.:biggrin:

Ask either the bride or one of the men in the wedding what the men are wearing. Don't go any more formal than they are, and you can go one level down from them, but not above: so if they're doing slacks and ties without jackets then do the same thing or drop the tie. If they are in suits, then a suit will of course be fine, as will the nicer side of business casual. If it's chinos and dress shirts with no tie, then there's no good way to drop down, so go with that.

AZ in the summer ???

A lighter colored suit in Linen or Seersucker would be appropriate unless its a formal event; your uniform is perfect for either.

Paul,

Admittedly, I know nothing about military dress code, but I'm surprised that non-uniform would be an option. Can you clarify? Just curious.

Best,

Top Bottom