What's new

Ogallala Bay Rum soap

This one until today have had little success. This time it's the third go and I bloomed the soap as before them spent more time loading the brush with the soap and used my scuttle and I got so much lather I could have looked like Father Christmas if I wanted.

This time the soap out performed Proraso in most areas. Certainly slipperier. The clove heavy scent is growing on me.

One thing I did notice that was a bit weird was by the time I got to the second pass my badger brush had stiffened considerably to the point it was prickly.

I did add a bit more water for second and third passes and the soap performed brilliantly. Certainly for the $6 it costs. By the third pass it definitely out performed the Proraso.

Also I noticed my bush was looking a bit manky after using Proraso and no amount of fluffing it helped. Now it looks almost as good as new.
proxy.php

Last edited:
That brush is a $10 delivered eBay special and I thought virtually useless on a hard soap. Seems I was wrong.

I love the smell of Ogallala (bay rum) clove. It brings back memories of grandma's place in the 1950's & 60's. Ogallala Bay Rum may be my favorite scented soap because of the clove. It also remains the only soap I ever 3017'd. I used to stick it in a mug, fill the mug with hot water, and soak the brush and soap at the same time. It only lasted 30-35 shaves using it that way, but no complaints for the price. I still have 3 Ogallala aftershaves I use occasionally, but have since moved on to more expensive soaps. This thread reminds me that it's time to revisit Ogallala because I haven't been able to find another clove scented soap.The only reason I stopped buying it was because the owner stopped selling direct. The owner at Ogallala was great to deal with.

Today using it the shave wasn't quite as good but I think that was due to a failing Voskhod blade. One to many shaves. But once I changed blade all was good again but I did mess up the amount of water and had it to damp initially.

I am going to place an order for some of their other soaps soon.

congrat's rich!
just enjoy, don't over-analyze!

What me .... over analysing....?
I'm in technical support.... I wouldn't do such a thing.

I do take your point though. I will try to relax and enjoy.

I am still surprised how a change of soaps affected my brush. I was about to toss it and get another more expensive one but this soap has breathed some life back into it. Fortuitously I have won a PIF of a nice synthetic brush from [MENTION=112108]Komboloi[/MENTION] .... I'm so excited.

Last edited:
I really enjoy the scent of the Ogallala soaps and I always get a great lather. I never bloom the soap. I just build a peak with a wet brush in about 30 seconds, add a few drops to an empty bowl and then bowl lather for another 30 seconds. It's always enough for 3 passes and a touch up pass. Considering the size of the puck, it's a bargain.

I really enjoy the scent of the Ogallala soaps and I always get a great lather. I never bloom the soap. I just build a peak with a wet brush in about 30 seconds, add a few drops to an empty bowl and then bowl lather for another 30 seconds. It's always enough for 3 passes and a touch up pass. Considering the size of the puck, it's a bargain.

The more I use it the more I like it. I want to try the sweet orange one next.

The more I use it the more I like it. I want to try the sweet orange one next.

The Sweet Orange is the only Ogallala I own, and I love it. I have never had a problem making lather with this soap, but that might be due to the very soft water where I live (New York City has the softest water of any city in the US). I almost always use Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum as my aftershave when I shave with Ogallala Sweet Orange.

I initially chose the Sweet Orange because I gave each of the varieties a sniff in the store, and SO was the one which most appealed to me. Have never regretted it.

Top Bottom