What's new

Williams Mug soap

Just got a puck of Williams Mug for $1.50 at a small pharmacy on 3rd Ave - question is - what can I expect? Thoughts welcome!

Highway robbery at $1.50... going rate is about a buck a puck hereabouts. 😀

It's a classic soap, and you will be inundated with opinions and advice. There's a Club/Brotherhood with endless experiences and discussion.(I'd provide you the link if I were at my computer)

I used it for years exclusively, but have moved on to real quality soaps that don't require incantations to make them work

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Sage advice was once given to me: "Load it like you hate it!!!" I've heard blooming it works well too.

Kindly,
Adam

There's one way to find out for sure. Use it! And then let us know.

Some have trouble lathering it. I like using the shave stick method of rubbing it on my face and face lathering. It works well and is a good value.

Williams is as good as a soap can get for the price
IMHO it's on a par with Bea, La Toja and Lea from Spain, Boots own label soap from the UK, Palmolive from Germany, Godrej Shaving Rounds from India, De Vergulde Hand from Holland and dare I say it, even on a par with Arko and Derby from Turkey.
IMHO it's a good, honest "blue collar" working man's soap - don't expect it to be a fancy, high end, artisan soap, but for the price it does the job - and does it well

I read a lot of negativity on B&B and on other forums, but decided to find out for myself - the glaring fact that it's been in production since 1840 means that, the way I see it millions of Americans who've lathered up with Williams for 175+ years can't have been far wrong.

I liked the scent, it's a nice, no frills, honest to goodness "soapy" scent
Whenever I lather up, I always remember the 3 best bits of advice that I ever read on B&B regarding soap lathering............

1. Use more product
2. Load it like you hate it
3. Load it like you stole it

I loaded my Horsehair - a real diamond in the rough for only €3,75 with free shipping from China to Spain - and made a test lather on my hand
The tap water in Mallorca is some of the worst in Spain, it's very hard and contains a coctkail of chemicals including fluoride, lead, nitrates and 4x the recommended level of chlorine (controls the e-coli)
If I can get a decent lather and a decent shave with Williams with Mallorquin tap water, the way I see it if anybody says "Stupid Williams soap", I can say quite honestly "It's probably just the person who's using it"

The test lather was made using cold tap water - just to prove a point

Every time I've used Williams, I've always found it to be a bit on the thirsty side, but once I lather up, it's always nice and slick with enough cushion for a good shave. It's always left my face feeling soft and supple too.

Williams will always be in my rotation.

$20160919_110559.jpg
Photo to prove it - Anything that can't speak, can't lie !!

Last edited:
"Mallorquin" water? You could sell something called that for $12 a bottle in Manhattan. Play up the fact that it's "molecularly enhanced" for improved anti-microbial healing or something.

I have a puck of Williams I haven't tried yet. It cost me an entire dollar, so I'm saving it for a special occasion.

Last edited:
a small pharmacy on 3rd Ave

As in Manhattan? What's the name of the place and the cross street? It's always good to know of another place that stocks it here besides Pasteur's...although one of local places in Brooklyn got it in for somebody who asked.

I used it this morning and have used it on and off since I learned to shave over 35 years ago. Personally I think it's about the best $1 you can spend shaving. It is actually entirely possible to use too much water with it. The sweet spot for making a good long lasting lather is pretty small, but once you figure it out it's a very good soap.

"Mallorquin" water? You could sell something called that for $12 a bottle in Manhattan. Play up the fact that it's "molecularly enhanced" for improved anti-microbial healing or something.

I could put a disclaimer in the fine print.....

"Mallorquin water is fit for human consumption provided no more than an occasional sip is ingested"

must confess, i was a dedicated williams mug user for, perhaps 4+ years straight before i started trying other creams and soaps.
with a plain VDH boar brush, using a repurposed foam can lid as the shave bowl!
always had great shaves, but admittedly i was 'young' and ignorant!
enjoy your puck with comfortable shaves!

Grate it down, press it into a bowl or mug & fill it halfway to 3/4 with your favorite after shave. Let it cure for 2-4 weeks. Then follow the rules of good lathering. Enjoy. :001_smile

I started out using Williams when I got back into DE saving last summer.
I have a Wedgwood "Peter Rabbit" child's mug that fit the puck perfectly without trimming, yet wasn't too deep ...

... but then I switched to some other container because the mug has too much sentimental value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! I like the peter rabbit mug! Any old school 1 cup coffee cup is likely to be good. We've got a bunch of old Pfalzgraff mugs sitting around here and a puck of williams is the exact diameter of the base of the mug. OP enjoy your Williams! More residual slickness than any product I've used.

It's one of my favorites. Soak it in water to hydrate the puck before you start to use it. (like overnight). Then use a lot of water, added a little at a time to get your lather going. It may take some practice, and the puck will get better and easier to load if used every day (soaking a bit prior to each use). But good, bad, or great lather..... you can still expect a super slick soap for a great shave.

Top Bottom