What's new

Sig P238

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
James and a few others here own and carry it's 9mm brother the Sig 938. I have shot the 938 Scorpion a few times and my wife carried it around and shot it a week when deciding on a small 9mm.

She ultimately chose the Glock 43, but she really liked everything about the Sig 938. So I'm sure the 238 has the exact same qualities.

Thanks, I am thinking the 238 for the slightly smaller size and reduced recoil. I just turned 71 and am starting to feel the effects of arthritis, so wonder about the recoil on the 9mm 938 model. I have an older COlt pocket 9 double action only and it has three problems for me. It's too heavy and trigger is double action only, long and a little gritty, lastly it's a collectors item as they only made them for one year, 1999.

I am leaning toward the Sig or possibly a Kimber. I may end with up with one of those in 9mm based on availability and price of ammo. I reload, but just do not care to handle those small cases.

Thanks, I am thinking the 238 for the slightly smaller size and reduced recoil. I just turned 71 and am starting to feel the effects of arthritis, so wonder about the recoil on the 9mm 938 model. I have an older COlt pocket 9 double action only and it has three problems for me. It's too heavy and trigger is double action only, long and a little gritty, lastly it's a collectors item as they only made them for one year, 1999.

I am leaning toward the Sig or possibly a Kimber. I may end with up with one of those in 9mm based on availability and price of ammo. I reload, but just do not care to handle those small cases.

Hi Jeff. As Rob mentioned, I've got the 938, and love it. It's pretty stiff on the recoil, but any 16-17 ounce 9mm is going to be. I've never shot the 238, but do intend to buy one - "just because" :). I would imagine that the recoil would be a little less on the 238..but I bet it's pretty close. One thing that will help for your situation is that the 238 is a locked breech design, not blowback like nearly all other 380's. The slide is very easy to rack because of this. Over on the Sigtalk forum the 238's are highly praised - more so than the 938.

Of course, you'll want to be comfortable with the 1911 battery of arms, and cool with cocked and locked carry. While I'm here..thank you (and all you Veterans!) for your service on this fine Veterans Day!

Thanks James, I figured the recoil would be snappy as the 938 weighs about the same as the 238. I am very familiar with the 1911 types, having a couple of Cold gold cups, a big Kimber, plus a Kimber Ultra Carry and Para ordance LDA_PDA compact models, and a Browning Hi Power.

I am currently using a S&W 322 Ti Lite, 5 shot j framed, double action only, completely enclosed hammer, and at 10.8 oz even with standard 38 loads recoil hurts. Both of the Sig models are physically smaller, shorter in length and height , plus thinner than the little Smith, so would pocket carry better, plus a bit more weight would help recoil.

As I said I am starting to feel effects of arthritis more in my weak hand but know it will progress so do not want to aggrevate anything, My wife is about 3 years older and is feeling it much worse so may get her a 238 and go for a 938 for myself before it's all over.

As I said I am starting to feel effects of arthritis more in my weak hand but know it will progress so do not want to aggravate anything, My wife is about 3 years older and is feeling it much worse so may get her a 238 and go for a 938 for myself before it's all over.

No prob. I should add that I got the aftermarket Hogue rubber grip for my 938. They have the same for the 238. Highly recommended. https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/sigsauer/p238 . Sig includes this grip (with a SIG logo on it) on one of the 938 models, and I think the 238 as well. It adds a wee bit more bulk to the grip, but I think worth it.

The P238 is a fantastic little firearm. The recoil is very light compared to all similar sized 9mm's I have fired and it as accurate as you are. The sight picture is particularly good compared to most "pocket" guns and most if not all come with night sights. The trigger is a little on the heavy side but I can live with that on a carry weapon. If you have larger hands like I do, the +1 magazine with the little extension does make a difference and also rounds off the back corner of the grip if you plan to carry it IWB. The only issue I have ever had in over 1000 rounds through mine is that it does not like certain HP ammo. I have had no problem with HP ammo that follows the same general profile as ball ammo. The problem is with HP ammo that has a projectile with more of the straight wall truncated profile. Hope this helps with your decision.... it really is a great little gun.

Just got the wife a Beretta PICO. Really nice pistol. Tiny, easy to control, quite accurate even for a mouse gun, and sick simple to conceal effectively. Very reasonably priced too. Plus you're getting a Beretta..a top tier firearms manufacturer who has been in the business for centuries. A far cry from some of the products made by manufacturers who set up 5-10 years ago and are working out of a rental warehouse....

I was so impressed with this little spud, I'm thinking of getting one for myself (of course there is also that Ruger LCP II lurking in the background)...........

Well, I have been doing a lot of thinking over the last few days. I will probably get a 238 and a 938, The only difference other than caliber is that the mm is 0.4 inches longer and one ounce heavier than the .380.

Even though .380 ammo is more expensive, I can practice with it and be completely familiar with the frame and size, saving my wrist and hands from sharper recoil, and carry the 9mm, best of both worlds ??

Sig shipped a bunch of P238 with 3 mags, Viridian lasers and holsters. Street price $555. We've gone through several. Look around, should be several still out there.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Well, I have been doing a lot of thinking over the last few days. I will probably get a 238 and a 938, The only difference other than caliber is that the mm is 0.4 inches longer and one ounce heavier than the .380.

Even though .380 ammo is more expensive, I can practice with it and be completely familiar with the frame and size, saving my wrist and hands from sharper recoil, and carry the 9mm, best of both worlds ??

Sounds like a plan my man.

Sig shipped a bunch of P238 with 3 mags, Viridian lasers and holsters. Street price $555. We've gone through several. Look around, should be several still out there.

Thanks, three mags would be nice, but am not interested in the laser. I specifically want the dehorned SAS model.

My wife has one and really likes it because its very light, concealable, and easy to maintain. She is looking to upgrade to a full 9mm however, so she decided to sell it.

Hey, you've just given me my excuse to buy a P238! My 938 has been begging for a little brother.

I just went down to order both, and apparently the P938 is in very short supply, so went ahead and have a P238 on the way, and asked them to keep an eye out for the other.

I got both, and have not had a chance to get to the range with them. The few nice days, I worked, otherwise rain or high chance, and as range is about 50 miles one way do not want to chance it with 70-90% chances. Raining today but hopefully tomorrow.

I have been carrying in a Red Dog Gunleather pocket holster that has a flap that folds over grip so it would look like a wallet if seen. Not the easiest and quickest to retrieve from but definitely concealed. I have been working in a closed environment with about 20 young ladies sitting on a high chair most of the day and no one has noticed it. There were a couple of armed robberies right around Christmas, and one of the ladies said where are all the guys with guns and another replied in the woods, where else.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Pics man, pics! Also very interested to hear your .380 vs. 9mm comparisons as to recoil, comfort and shootability!

Last edited:
Just standard Sig SAS model (SAS means Sig anti snag), which is rounded front edges on slide so it will slide into a holster easier. After better than 5 inches of rain over the last couple of days, I am putting off the planned range trip today until next week, I suspect the range will be rather soggy,perhaps with some standing water. I am interested in difference in recoil also. The only .380 I have fired is an old Walther PPK and it's rather sharp being a direct blowback action.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p938-sas-micro-compact.html

This is the 938, 9mm. The 238, .380 looks identical from a few inches away, and is 1/2 " shorter and the grip is narrower, front to back, I can actually use a holster for the 938 for both, the 238 just does not fill it all the way to the muzzle end and with narrower grip it seems to sit a little deeper.

Here is the 238

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=722441

They make them is quite a few finishes, one has a "titanium" or iridescent rainbow finish, one is engraved, but I liked the rounded model, although engraved looks very nice for edc.

Last edited:
My Grandfather got one after loosing faith in the mini Glock 380 (42?). Glock has since fixed the problem, but he is smitten with his Sig. Conceals better in his pocket than the G, and he hasn't had a hiccup in a few hundred wounds, and he is a limp wrister. For what it's worth.

Top Bottom