What's new

First DE Shave (for real this time)

This morning I finally put all the stuff I've acquired to use. After a shower, I mixed up some Proraso lather in my shaving mug (Okay, so it's actually an old soup mug, but I'm cheap), put it on, and shaved. The razor I used was the Gillette Milord (Gold-Plated Super Speed) that I bought last week, and I used some U.S. made Personna blades from Wal-Mart. All in all, I'd say it went well for a first time. I only did two passes, one with the grain and another across the grain.

The shave on my chin and neck wasn't that great, but the sides of my face were about on par with the shaves I've been getting from my electric. I only ended up with three very small nicks on my chin, which I think may have been old razor bumps from the electric getting cut open.

After the shave, I rinsed my face with cold water and put on some Afta aftershave. Thanks for all the advice you've dished out so far, and I'm looking forward to better shaves in the future. At any rate, it's more enjoyable than shaving with the three-headed face mower ;-)

I agree...I did my first DE razor shave yesterday with my new Merkur. So much better than using my five bladed fusion.

Also really liked proraso. A good lather and great cooling effect.

Congrats!!! It only gets better from here on...

Please invest in some better blades. A nice sampler from westcoastshaving will do nicely!!

Regards

Congratulations guys!

I like the Walmart Personnas, but you'll most likely find better. Like Smoke said, getting a blade sampler pack is a good way to go.

Nice to hear that it went all good :) I hope that my first try will go good either (Damn package, when will you arrive already?).

Welcome to our den..Congrats on your 1st DE shave..For now shoot for par..The eagles aren't far behind..Good prep + good technique + good blades = good shaves....

I have to agree with the blade talk. Sample pack and pick what is best for the razor you are using - you'll see a world of difference in each one.

Keep it up - you will look forward to the quality time every morning.

Congratulations! Life will never be the same.

And yes, I tried the Wal-Mart Personnas at first too. Wait until you upgrade to a Derby or Israeli Personna. It's like night and day.

The shave on my chin and neck wasn't that great, but the sides of my face were about on par with the shaves I've been getting from my electric. I only ended up with three very small nicks on my chin, which I think may have been old razor bumps from the electric getting cut open.

After the shave, I rinsed my face with cold water and put on some Afta aftershave. Thanks for all the advice you've dished out so far, and I'm looking forward to better shaves in the future. At any rate, it's more enjoyable than shaving with the three-headed face mower ;-)

Yes, for years I shaved with one of those cerberus face mowers and I had the same experience you did with my first DE shave. It really only gets better after that.

I agree...I did my first DE razor shave yesterday with my new Merkur. So much better than using my five bladed fusion.

Also really liked proraso. A good lather and great cooling effect.

The Prorasso, even in it's C.O. Bigelow incarnation is excellent. It gives great lather and has a very cooling effect. What kind of Merkur did you get?

Nice to hear that it went all good :) I hope that my first try will go good either (Damn package, when will you arrive already?).

Patience Young Skywalker... Patience...

Top Bottom