What's new

Newbie saying hi, and small question

Hello. I started DE shaving in June of this year, after using electric razors for a few years, since cartridge razors didn't really work out for me. I wanted to start using a razor again, and upon some googling, safety razors were mentioned everywhere. Im very happy with the experience so far, it has mainly consisted of a Muhle R89, a silvertip badger from Muhle and Proraso soap (the so called croaps)

My question is, how can i keep a better eye out for the water/soap mix? No matter if i bowl lather, or face lather, i feel like slickness level of the soap is very inconsistent (i use a damp brush on the croap, and try to always get the same amount on the brush). Im not sure if it has to do with my water. The water here in iceland isn't completely soft, but it isnt that hard either.

I will mention that i only do cold water shaves, when i first started DE shaving and using warm/hot water, my skin was extremely red and irritated after shaving. Switching to cold water completely eliminated all irritation from my shaves.

Does cold water have an effect on slickness?

Welcome to the forums.

Edit. And practice with different amounts of water. I like my lather on bit wetter, as I find it slicker.
I've also found more hydrated lather to be slicker. And i try to have it like that, but still it seems inconsistent. It might just be that i dont spend enough time lathering. The lather feels nice and has a nice shine to it after adding water and using the tips of the brush to ''agitate'' the lather, but as soon as i start painting to smooth out the lather, it's almost like i can feel the lather starting to grab onto the brush.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

Howdy do! Glad yer here.

My question is, how can i keep a better eye out for the water/soap mix?

I started out with Proraso Green. Well...I actually started with Colonel Conk but had no blipping clue about how to build lather. So I went with something that seemed conceptually easier, having more water in it already. :)

I have moderately hard water (makes great pale ales!) and while I had decent shaves with Proraso it never rose much above decent for me. I was experimenting with water addition and found that Proraso -- in my context at least -- will take more water up to a point and then suddenly blammo it's too much. This not only frustrated me but caused me to use words I probably use too often anyway.

I spent some time shaving with body soaps, finding Yardley Oatmeal and Almond to be a nice lather. Different technique, though! We'll save discussion of bar soap until you're feeling more adventurous. I started making my own soaps and that's been great -- but I think the takeaway to point you toward is that a soap with tallow is a good thing.

My opinion is that Proraso is good but there is a pretty narrow "sweet spot."

I will mention that i only do cold water shaves

I don't do cold water shaves but more like lukewarm. Like you, I find too much heat really blows up the irritation. I tried a lather scuttle for a while and although it was quite luxurious to have warm lather it was that same problem. I have also tried a brush scuttle, and that seemed better. I'm currently haunting various flea markets looking for just the right parts to put together the brush scuttle of my dreams. If it works I will consider investing in a nice one from a potter.

O.H.

My opinion is that Proraso is good but there is a pretty narrow "sweet spot."
That does seem to be my experience, especially when i tried bowl lathering with Proraso.... Get a dry-ish coat on the tips brush, slowly add water until it's nice and slick, agitate a small bit and add a little more water to expand the lather a tiny bit... slickness gone. It might just be easier to face lather with it. I really wanna try to see if the Proraso cream would work better for me. But i got other soaps on the way to try. Could also be that my bowl is working against me... bowl from Vikings Blade, sandblasted. Feels like that even if i use just a small amount of pressure, that too much air gets in the lather. Havent tried any other soap than Proraso in it, so we'll have to see

but I think the takeaway to point you toward is that a soap with tallow is a good thing.
Got a Stirling Soap Co. soap on the way, Barbershop. I really wanted to try a tallow base, and Stirling seemed like a popular choice. Sadly i couldn't find any shops in Iceland with a tallow based soap... Mostly Proraso, there is also Muhle soaps, and some cheapo ''natural and great for the skin'' soap bars from websites i've never heard about. So i ended up ordering The Stirling, and also TOBS Grapefruit, since i also wanted to try a cream, from WCS. Ordered a Yaqi Tuxedo Synthetic as well. WCS has a $19.95 international shipping, which can come handy for some bulk purchases for me 😃

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Welcome to B&B , have some great shaves!
Nothing wrong with cold water rinsing your face after each pass, if it feels good that is your body saying keep doing it IMO.
I use warm water to mix the lather (not hot) and it feels good when applied. When bowl lathering I always press the soap in the bottom and start with a damp or squeezed brush and slowly add water by your hand with a few drops or use a water mister to regulate water better will work also very well.
Enjoy!

Welcome to B&B , have some great shaves!
Nothing wrong with cold water rinsing your face after each pass, if it feels good that is your body saying keep doing it IMO.
I use warm water to mix the lather (not hot) and it feels good when applied. When bowl lathering I always press the soap in the bottom and start with a damp or squeezed brush and slowly add water by your hand with a few drops or use a water mister to regulate water better will work also very well.
Enjoy!
I might need to find another bowl.. i have a sandblasted metal bowl, and i feel it might introduce too much air, even when not splaying at all.

I might've been unconsciously holding a bit back on the soap. I saw somewhere that a tub of Proraso croap was lasting people months! I guess my skin requires more slickness...

Related to loading more soap and the video I shared above, I never got a good shave from the proraso soap. I know some others like it, but I get much slicker lather from other brands. You said you had some Stirling. That works far better for me, give that a shot.

Related to loading more soap and the video I shared above, I never got a good shave from the proraso soap. I know some others like it, but I get much slicker lather from other brands. You said you had some Stirling. That works far better for me, give that a shot.
Yeah, im waiting on the Stirling. Very excited to try both the Stirling and TOBS cream

Once in a while i get an amazing shave from the Proraso croap. I'm guessing that's when i mix the perfect lather. I try to keep all variables the same, but it seems the Proraso isnt working out. Shame, i really love the smell of the green and like the white as well

Top Bottom