What's new

Newbie saying hi, and small question

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I might need to find another bowl.. i have a sandblasted metal bowl, and i feel it might introduce too much air, even when not splaying at all.
Just grab a bowl out of the cupboard and try that first before buying a fancy bowl to confirm your suspicion of your old bowl that was sand blasted. To rough a bowl surface will thin the tips of you brush over time I found with a Japanese Suribachi bowl my wife found a the local thrift store (not recommended IMO).

Welcome to B&B!

This video taught me a lot. Try really loading up the brush, painting on a relatively thick paste, then painting in water bit by bit, like the video demonstrates. That taught me how to make a much better lather. I was using far too little soap Happy shaves to you!
I will try this next. Thank you !

Worked like a charm. Had a thick, dry paste on the brush. Painted it dry, and added water bit by bit. I tried this a few times before, but the soap wasnt as dry. Meaning i probably used too little soap the times i tried it

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Welcome to B&B!

Does cold water have an effect on slickness
I have found when dealing with hard water issues, it is best to use either bottled or reverse osmosis filtered water. No need for distilled water, just regular bottled water. It only takes a little water to make a huge difference. You also might want to spend more time working the lather, I use a water mug and just dip the tips of my brush in to add water. If in doubt, load your soap heavy, soap is cheap!

Glad to hear you have some Stirling on the way, you also might want to check out some Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CK-6 Formula shaving soaps. :thumbsup:
Just grab a bowl out of the cupboard and try that first before buying a fancy bowl
Cheap water and feeding bowls for pets work great, then there is Captain's Choice bowls if you want to go fancy.

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

More soap - I used to be a bit stingy with the soap when I first started making my own lather ( I did not know how much I needed to use and I did not want to waste it). Someone on this site has under his avatar "I used more product and it worked!". I gave it a try and I was amazed! I guess if you do not start with sufficient soap, no amount of water - a lot or a little is going to produce quality lather. Now I almost exclusively face lather after loading my brush with a nice paste, and I can always add water a few drops at a time to get a wetter lather.

Welcome to this forum, @Tonikallinn!
My general advice to you is: 1.Dedicate some time reading the threads; 2. Practice and experiment; 3. Repeat…This is my approach and I definitely enjoy the reading part.
May the shaves be with you! Greeting!

Yeah, im waiting on the Stirling. Very excited to try both the Stirling and TOBS cream

Once in a while i get an amazing shave from the Proraso croap. I'm guessing that's when i mix the perfect lather. I try to keep all variables the same, but it seems the Proraso isnt working out. Shame, i really love the smell of the green and like the white as well
Stirling Soaps are great! They're tallow based, and they create a really good, creamy lather quite easily. They can take a fair amount of water too, but I add a little at a time, agitate, then a bit more water. Definitely very different to Proraso.

It's hard to explain on the internet. I only leave a little bit of water in the bowl. I just squeeze the water out of the brush into the bowl. Proraso creams aren't that hard to lather just like the TOBS creams. If your lather is too watery then add more cream, if it's way too thick then add more water.

Your lather should look similar to his.

Very excited to try both the Stirling and TOBS cream
Welcome to the forum. I find that shaving cream rather than soap makes it far easier to get a great lather every time. I've always had good results with TOBS. You can always use up your soaps once you've got a bit more practice.

Hello. I started DE shaving in June of this year, after using electric razors for a few years, since cartridge razors didn't really work out for me. I wanted to start using a razor again, and upon some googling, safety razors were mentioned everywhere. Im very happy with the experience so far, it has mainly consisted of a Muhle R89, a silvertip badger from Muhle and Proraso soap (the so called croaps)

My question is, how can i keep a better eye out for the water/soap mix? No matter if i bowl lather, or face lather, i feel like slickness level of the soap is very inconsistent (i use a damp brush on the croap, and try to always get the same amount on the brush). Im not sure if it has to do with my water. The water here in iceland isn't completely soft, but it isnt that hard either.

I will mention that i only do cold water shaves, when i first started DE shaving and using warm/hot water, my skin was extremely red and irritated after shaving. Switching to cold water completely eliminated all irritation from my shaves.

Does cold water have an effect on slickness?
Welcome! Little late to the game but always good to see another wet shaver enter the fold.
B and B is a virtual library on all subjects related to wet shaving, and a ton of other great topics as well.

Glad to see your issue wasn't the bowl as I think that is what I am getting, also loved reading the responses and help on here as it gives me another thing to remember when I finally get started

Glad to see your issue wasn't the bowl as I think that is what I am getting, also loved reading the responses and help on here as it gives me another thing to remember when I finally get started
I do kind of feel like the bowl might've had something to do with it. I've gotten another bowl, silicone with ridges. And i do feel like i have more control adding air into the lather. Also, i'd say the sandblasted bowl is just a tad bit too small.

Top Bottom