What's new

Do you remember .

Do you remember the time, when you tried to convince yourself that you can save money if you don´t use cartridge razor anymore. Some time later you tried to convince your wife, girlfriend or partner that your new way of shaving would be cheaper and you can save money.

And now you only hope that you are faster at the door when you get a new package, so that you don´t get in trouble because now you have so many razors, soaps, blades, brushes, ... and they don´t believe you anymore, that you only ordered this to save money.

You just need to modify your reasoning. Such as "This might be discontinued based on a rumor I read in some shaving forum on the internet. It was the last chance to get it!" please note I am not liable for any consequences resulting from the use of this excuse :001_smile

Have you tried having your shave goodies shipped to your office?

You don't have to explain anything if it just shows up one day, "What THAT?, no I bought that like 6 months ago sweetie." :001_cool:

1. Start selling on eBay
2. Order in bulk - when it gets delivered, rub your hands together and say "My new stock has arrived"
3. Part out your bulk buys, keep a few items for yourself cover your back by saying things like "I can't sell it because" ..........
"I opened it to take photos for my ads" or damage the packaging and say "It didn't bounce"
4. Every time you sell something, brag about how you filled your boots - especially if you only break even !!
5. Any new purchases will be met with so much boredom that you can sell or use them to your heart's content

Works for me !!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Yes, I do fondly and want to get back to that simpler time...right after I get a Joris, Muhle's new stainless steel razor coming out, another 100 GSB, try Haslinger shaving soap...then it will happen...:tongue_sm

Do you remember the time, when you tried to convince yourself that you can save money if you don´t use cartridge razor anymore. Some time later you tried to convince your wife, girlfriend or partner that your new way of shaving would be cheaper and you can save money.

And now you only hope that you are faster at the door when you get a new package, so that you don´t get in trouble because now you have so many razors, soaps, blades, brushes, ... and they don´t believe you anymore, that you only ordered this to save money.

Cartridges tore up my face. Electric razors did a lousy job.

In 2010 I bought a new Fusion, stem and all. I installed the new cartridge on Monday and the green strip turned white by Thursday. When I started using Fusions, the cartridge lasted about six weeks. It got to where I had a good shave on Monday, irritation began to set in on Tuesday and got progressively worse by Friday. I skipped shaving on the weekends so my face could heal. Now I was receiving the signal to change after four days. Then I spent $30+ for new blades for my Braun electric razor. Within about a week the blades were noticeably more dull. I was mad as hell.

$WetWhiskerCutvsDry-1.jpg

Then I read The Zen of Shaving (see my signature link). That reversed 40 years of regressive, painful shaving experiences. I started out with a DE, then graduated to a SE, and ultimately a straight.

I agree wholeheartedly with your point about acquisition disorder and have experienced it myself, but there was a practical matter behind the switch!

Then I read The Zen of Shaving (see my signature link). That reversed 40 years of regressive, painful shaving experiences. I started out with a DE, then graduated to a SE, and ultimately a straight.

I agree wholeheartedly with your point about acquisition disorder and have experienced it myself, but there was a practical matter behind the switch!

your zen of shaving link is dead :bored:

Hi,

Heck, I save money. At this point, I have all of one purchased razor. A blade lasts over a week (but I change it every Monday anyway) and the last pack of 100 cost 15 cents a blade. A puck of Carden Farms soap costs $8 and lasts me six years.....

Been this way for over 40 years now, too....

Stan

She bought all the stuff (Merkur Futur, Vulfix brush and Castle Forbes cream) to start as a birthday gift. I just remind her that it's her fault and I wouldn't know any of this stuff existed if she bought something else.

Collecting shaving stuff (3 razors, about 300 blades, 3 brushes, 4 soaps, 2 creams, 2 Alums, 1 splash, and 2 balms .....
all of this since early August) is not an issue. But I still have a hard time explaining my 600 (or so) jazz LP vinyl records
and 1000 (or so) CD's. My Rogue Audio tube amplifier based system with Revel speakers, Rega table, and Rotel CD deck was a far greater expense than my wet shaving habit will ever be ....... Sublime shaves and beautiful music ..... Life is good !

I'm single, so I have no one to answer to. Which is good, because I find the idea of answering to another person as to how I spend MY money more than a little ridiculous. Cue the flame war.

Yes, I do fondly and want to get back to that simpler time...right after I get a Joris, Muhle's new stainless steel razor coming out, another 100 GSB, try Haslinger shaving soap...then it will happen...:tongue_sm
I keep seeing mention of this Muhle stainless razor. Is there any info available so far (or any pics)? I know nothing aside from that it's in production.

Last edited:
I started doing this in 2011 and hadn't bought anything much for the first 4 years except for maybe a puck or two of soap and a bulk order of blades... In reality, I was saving a fair amount of money.

Then this year happened and I started checking out the shaving videos on youtube and realized there were a lot of changes in the market since I started. I've picked up more soap than I'd like to admit and I have an SR-71 slant in the mail to go with my DE89, Maggard V2 OC, Maggard Slant, and Fatip Grande. I got the slant and the Fatip within 3 weeks of each other.

Needless to say, the acquisition disorder has hit me hard. The plus side is that if I stop now and don't buy anything else, I must have enough soap and blades to last me another 5 years before I have to buy anything.

In addition to learning a somewhat retro skill (DE shaving), the "saving money" canard was my motivation for getting started with DE shaving.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm single, so I have no one to answer to. Which is good, because I find the idea of answering to another person as to how I spend MY money more than a little ridiculous. Cue the flame war.

I keep seeing mention of this Muhle stainless razor. Is there any info available so far (or any pics)? I know nothing aside from that it's in production.

There are other pictures this is the one I could find on a short notice. They will have several different handle options and is due out in Novemeber:

$14671069_1305854639436130_8476247675736218206_n.jpg

I only do it for my great great grandchildren. They should have the possibility to use the same stuff I have used. And I need enough razors, so that everyone could have their own collection.

Top Bottom