What's new

Why does it come off as a 300 dollar razor is the only answer?

Imrecommend the Fatip Grande. It uses their standard open-comb head and has a hollow handle. The one I have is nickel-plated, but lots of folks like the gold plating, the copper plating, and the chrome plating as well.

Their slant razors; Lo Storto Originale and Lo Storto Gentilé; can be either the best thaings in the universe or break in normal use. With the non-slanted heads, the alignment just means you just have to pay attention when changing the blade.

You may also want to check out razors from Pearl such as their Blaze, Flexi, or Hammer.
thnx. Lots of choices!
:)
I thought being made of brass, that breakage with Fatips wouldn't be a concern?

Imrecommend the Fatip Grande. It uses their standard open-comb head and has a hollow handle. The one I have is nickel-plated, but lots of folks like the gold plating, the copper plating, and the chrome plating as well.

Their slant razors; Lo Storto Originale and Lo Storto Gentilé; can be either the best thaings in the universe or break in normal use. With the non-slanted heads, the alignment just means you just have to pay attention when changing the blade.

You may also want to check out razors from Pearl such as their Blaze, Flexi, or Hammer.
I got the Lo Sorto in error when I ordered the Fatip Piccolo. Good razor too for the price!

I got the Lo Sorto in error when I ordered the Fatip Piccolo. Good razor too for the price!
Which head did you intend to get? Open comb "original" or Closed "Gentile"? Or the "special bivalent head: on one side the open comb and on the other the closed comb."
Which Lo Storto did you get -- open or closed comb?
thnx

Fatip Gentile (closed comb) is a super mild razor, and it's also cheap here in Europe (20 euro). IMHO it's a great razor for beginners.

Well, since I will potentially be on the market for a new razor in a few months, I read threads like this with great interest. Not sure I will ever pay $300 for a single razor, though.

Even if I eventually get closer shaves with my Merkur 33c, I still probably want another razor for some variety. My self-imposed budget of $50 could get me something really nice if I go vintage, from what I've read here. I may increase it to $100 and get a really nice stainless steel modern one from someplace like Razorock. If that turns out ok then I may never need to buy another razor!
Like the others said about the Fatip, I have the open comb razor and it's my favorite razor. I got it for 19 euro years ago. The open comb razor is a little bit more aggressive than the closed comb razor. It really depends on what you prefer and your beard type. I also have the Gentile which is a closed comb and it's super mild, when I shaved with it I felt like it was impossible to cut myself with this razor. It's so mild that I needed to do a lot of touch ups.

You don't have to spend a couple 100 USD's on a razor, higher price doesn't mean it's better or a guarantee for a better shave. The most expensive razor I own is the Merkur Progress, I got it for around 70 euro iirc. It's not a bad razor, in fact it's a great razor but I prefer my Fatip razor.

Here in Europe you can get both Fatip open comb and closed comb for less than 50 euro.

Which head did you intend to get? Open comb "original" or Closed "Gentile"? Or the "special bivalent head: on one side the open comb and on the other the closed comb."
Which Lo Storto did you get -- open or closed comb?
thnx
The handles on the Fatip razors are interchangeable. If you want an aggressive razor, get the open comb. If you want something thats super mild get the closed comb.

The open comb was my second razor, my first razor was the Merkur 34C HD I used this razor for months. I really had to get used to the Fatip Open Comb when I started to shave with it, it feels "different" but once you get used to it you will love this razor.

There is no question that many great razors are affordable and well under $200. When I started my journey into wet shaving, I believed I would have one razor, and that would be it. So, I was drawn to the quality and aesthetic of more expensive options. Beyond shave performance, it was about a feeling and my experience shaving. I also considered the company's owners, reputation, where the razor was made, etc. My razors work well, but I know I could accomplish the same results (or nearly the same) with a less expensive option. Something about owning and using a high-end, carefully crafted tool with an impeccable finish and materials appeal to me. I do not believe expensive is the only way to get a good shave, but now that I've gone down that road, I am not particularly interested in inexpensive razors.

I have been on this forum for a decade and still think a vintage Gillette adjustable or the ASD2 are not only the best for me but more than I need. A cheap Tech would still be fine as a forever razor if I had too. Any other razor I've purchased was out of curiosity and part of the "disease."

So, I've been using the razor, and slowly turning up the adjustment. I'm up to 5 with Derby Extra blades. So far I haven't pulled out the styptic pencil.
While some VB razors have been cloned, the Emperor is not among them.
It is taking some time to get used to the asymmetric blade. Open comb on 1 side, close on the other. The open does a nice job for the first pass, I flip it over, and do the final pass on the same part of my face.
I did find out the shaving stand I bought won't work with the emperor, handle is too thick.
I did a second Derby Extra, and I still wasn't thrilled. I put in a Gillette Platinum and the razor has stepped up a notch. My face doesn't need immediate moisturizer. It only suggests it.
I'm running the basic Frost model at about $32. Some of the other versions are works of art, but the packaging says they're fragile (read the care sections). And, they're twice the price.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well I have a tail between my legs moment because I purchased a Lambda Ares v2 and I’ll be damned if it’s not my end game razor. Between this, Maxwell June and the Feathe as-d2 someone gifted me, I have no desire for anything else.
I somehow missed the Maxwell June part of this post. This is the first time I remember reading about the Maxwell June. I went to their site and read a bit about it. It looks to be a very interesting razor. The Gillette Trac II was the first razor I bought for myself as a teen. They were all the rage when I got home from 2 years in Indonesia in 1973.... The Atra was released in 1977, according to the Gillette history page.. with more innovations (that would be Gillette's take on the subject) to follow.

I was just a sheep back in those days.... I followed along and bought most of the new cartridge razors as soon as they were released. I can't say I had a favorite among them as I wasn't a critical shaver. Shaving was just a necessary evil for me back then. Almost 2 years ago, that all changed for me... and a couple weeks later, I stumbled on B&B, along with all the other forums sites and Face Book groups.... After just a few weeks, it became apparent to me that B&B had the most active members and the most interesting discussions, at least, for me.

All that to say... I can understand why the Maxwell June is working so well for you... I think that's awesome.

I somehow missed the Maxwell June part of this post. This is the first time I remember reading about the Maxwell June. I went to their site and read a bit about it. It looks to be a very interesting razor. The Gillette Trac II was the first razor I bought for myself as a teen. They were all the rage when I got home from 2 years in Indonesia in 1973.... The Atra was released in 1977, according to the Gillette history page.. with more innovations (that would be Gillette's take on the subject) to follow.

I was just a sheep back in those days.... I followed along and bought most of the new cartridge razors as soon as they were released. I can't say I had a favorite among them as I wasn't a critical shaver. Shaving was just a necessary evil for me back then. Almost 2 years ago, that all changed for me... and a couple weeks later, I stumbled on B&B, along with all the other forums sites and Face Book groups.... After just a few weeks, it became apparent to me that B&B had the most active members and the most interesting discussions, at least, for me.

All that to say... I can understand why the Maxwell June is working so well for you... I think that'sI still have annd use that razor often. awesome.
I find myself using that razor often still. Yeah that’s one way to put it but I do find the Maxwell June is impossible to not find blade angle and leads to very irritation free shaves. It’s an excellent razor in my opinion. I think anyone who likes the trac II would love the MJ and it’s not overly expensive.

I suggested you try an Ever-Ready or GEM 1912-style razor or a Karve Overlander in brass or aluminum.

Granted, the Overlander is overpriced, but both choices are well under $200usd
Ever Ready are the only razors I use.
1924 Shovel head
1912 squat head

I think they are great. I have never used an expensive razor before. Cannot knock them.

I only use SE’s. I am not sure if there are many modern SE’s that use GEM blades that shave like my favorite 1924 Shovel head.

I’ve always felt that the more expensive version of a product is the more luxurious version of it and therefore would go that route.

Most recently I bought the medium and then the mild versions of the Henson AL13. Loved both of those razors and decided that I was going to get a titanium version of the mild.

But after using the Ti22 mild and revisiting the AL13 medium I think I actually like the nimbleness of the AL13 better. I was actually contemplating buying the Ti22 version of both the medium and aggressive eventually so I would have all three in titanium….but now I don’t think I will. I think the aluminum version of these razors are the better version for me. I actually like the lighter weight.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Wow, I'm surprised this one went ten pages. My first DE razor was $42 and it was a fine razor. I got many good shaves from that razor and later gave it to a friend. My next razor was a Gillette Slim for $35, another fine razor. I liked it a little better than my first razor.

Next came the Mergress, which was definitely a step up in the quality of the shaves - and price, around $135. I shaved with it for quite a long time. Then came ATT - 5 of them. A little more money and a little more quality - and slightly better shaves.

Now my daily driver is a Wolfman, which gives me the best shaves of the bunch. It's absolutely true that each small increase in quality came with a considerably bigger increase in price. It's also true that I could still be using that first razor and getting fine shaves. About once a year I pull out one of the old razors and give it a go, but that only confirms my Wolfman choice - FOR ME.

It's also undoubtedly true that my first razor would give me a much better shave than a new Wolfman with the wrong blade gap for my face/beard/technique.

The good news is that nobody is peeking inside out bathrooms while we shave. We can use any razor we choose - without justifications or recriminations. That's a beautiful thing. You think I'm crazy for buying a Wolfman - I can live with that. I think you're crazy for not buying one - you can live with that. It's all good. Use what you like and enjoy your shaves.

I’ve used a bunch of razors since entering into the world of safety razor wet shaving 15 years ago or so. Started out with vintage Gillettes until I figured it all out. Over the years I’ve been in the hunt for the best performing razor(s) for me, my beard, and technique. I’ve gotten good shaves from many razors whether inexpensive or expensive but my best performers happen to be in the more expensive category.

I say buy what you want and can afford and what gives you shaving satisfaction. I still have and use sub $100 razors, but my best-of-the-best are all over that. Do I need $200+ razors, probably not, but do I enjoy them, yes I do.

Top Bottom