What's new

Why does it come off as a 300 dollar razor is the only answer?

What have you decided on for a first "back to DE" razor and brush?
Well, even though I'm still Mach 3, I have been using a brush for a couple years, and Jack Black Beard Lube for at least 10 years before that. Before that I had the obligatory Old Spice mug with soap and brush.
I was given a Simpson S1 Pure Badger and it wasn't impressive.
I bought a Maggard Tuxedo 24mm as a travel brush. it retired the Simpson within a week.
About 6 months ago I bought a Muhle Silvertip Fibre. The Tuxedo is back in my travel kit.
I have 2 soaps I use, Jack Black Supreme Creme (also in my travel kit because it's great for face lather), and Noble Otter Lonestar. I have to alternate or my face breaks out.
The razor I'm thinking about is Vikings Blade Emperor. With cartridge shaving I got used to a longer handle. It also has an adjustable head. The last DE razor somebody gave me tended to make me the one to chum for sharks. I nicked several times per shave.
This way I can work my way up as my technique gets better.

Well, even though I'm still Mach 3, I have been using a brush for a couple years, and Jack Black Beard Lube for at least 10 years before that. Before that I had the obligatory Old Spice mug with soap and brush.
I bought a Maggard Tuxedo 24mm as a travel brush. it retired the Simpson within a week.
About 6 months ago I bought a Muhle Silvertip Fibre. The Tuxedo is back in my travel kit.
I have 2 soaps I use, Jack Black Supreme Creme (also in my travel kit because it's great for face lather), and Noble Otter Lonestar. I have to alternate or my face breaks out.
The razor I'm thinking about is Vikings Blade Emperor. With cartridge shaving I got used to a longer handle. It also has an adjustable head. The last DE razor somebody gave me tended to make me the one to chum for sharks. I nicked several times per shave.
The Vikings Blade Emperor is a nice looking razor. Likely either a rebranded Weishi or Baili. Have a look at the one star Amazon reviews though. Seems that a number of purchasers had issues with the baseplate alignment. Manufacturer appears to know about this as they've added special instructions on what to do if the base plate is tilted. Seems to be a common issue with adjustable chinese razors that rely on a central spring for the adjustment mechanism. I ran into this with the Ming Shi 3000s and was considering the Weishi adjustable until I saw that many had the same issue per the Amazon reviews.

The Razorock Adust/Baili BD191 may be a good place to start for a butterfly adjustable at $7.99 at Italian Barber or $9.99 from Stirling Soap. Its internal mechanism is a clone of the Gillette Super Adjustable "Black Beauty" that keeps the blade level by raising four bars (2 per side) without use of a central spring. It also has the long handle you are looking for. Per my review is is on the mild side though based on your history that could be a good place to start. I've no issue realizing BBS shaves from it.

Lots of other choices out there from vintage Gillette butterfly razors to a plethora of non-butterfly designs. Adjust/BD191 is the only current production butterfly adjustable that I'm aware of that uses the same adjustment mechanism of the Gillette Black Beauty. Most modern adjustable razors don't also have a butterfly mechanism.

Kind of interesting how the adjustment mechanism that worked so well and was once the "standard" in the 70's to early 80's, before cartridges took over, and available in a $3 - $5 Super Adjustable razor ($15-$25 adjusted for inflation) is so rare in what is manufactured today.

I anyone aware of any other currently manufactured adjustable butterfly DE razors that use the same adjustment mechanism found in the Gillette "Black Beauty"?

P.S. Edit, Just looked at photos of a Gillette Slim Adjustable and it uses the same adjustment mechanism as the "Black Beauty". Looks like this type of adjustment mechanism was the standard from the 1960's through the early 80's. Based on a 1955 patent I pulled it looks like this adjustment mechanism was developed in the mid 1950's.

Last edited:
The Vikings Blade Emperor is a nice looking razor. Likely either a rebranded Weishi or Baili. Have a look at the one star Amazon reviews though. Seems that a number of purchasers had issues with the baseplate alignment. Manufacturer appears to know about this as they've added special instructions on what to do if the base plate is tilted. Seems to be a common issue with adjustable chinese razors that rely on a central spring for the adjustment mechanism. I ran into this with the Ming Shi 3000s and was considering the Weishi adjustable until I saw that many had the same issue per the Amazon reviews.

The Razorock Adust/Baili BD191 may be a good place to start for a butterfly adjustable at $7.99 at Italian Barber or $9.99 from Stirling Soap. Its internal mechanism is a clone of the Gillette Super Adjustable "Black Beauty" that keeps the blade level by raising four bars (2 per side) without use of a central spring. It also has the long handle you are looking for. Per my review is is on the mild side though based on your history that could be a good place to start. I've no issue realizing BBS shaves from it.

Lots of other choices out there from vintage Gillette butterfly razors to a plethora of non-butterfly designs. Adjust/BD191 is the only current production butterfly adjustable that I'm aware of that uses the same adjustment mechanism of the Gillette Black Beauty. Most modern adjustable razors don't also have a butterfly mechanism.

Kind of interesting how the adjustment mechanism that worked so well and was once the "standard" in the 70's to early 80's, before cartridges took over, and available in a $3 - $5 Super Adjustable razor ($15-$25 adjusted for inflation) is so rare in what is manufactured today.

I anyone aware of any other currently manufactured adjustable butterfly DE razors that use the same adjustment mechanism found in the Gillette "Black Beauty"?
Your post just made me think of it. It’s a little off topic but , I just got a flare tip super speed and I was really impressed by it for 30 bucks shipped to me. Very easy to find blade angle.

I've only tried 15 razors, but there are two that stand out as clear winners to me. One is ~$4 and the other is ~$130. The most I've ever spent on a razor was $200. I have no problems recommending a $130 razor.
Do you mind sharing what the $4 razor was? I shaved recently with what has to be the cheapest safety razor out there. It felt very light and the blade exposure considerable. I was very alert because I didn't want to cut myself, and surprisingly enough I enjoyed the "edgy" feeling. Will definitely keep the cheapo to use with moderate sharpness razor blades.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Do you mind sharing what the $4 razor was? I shaved recently with what has to be the cheapest safety razor out there. It felt very light and the blade exposure considerable. I was very alert because I didn't want to cut myself, and surprisingly enough I enjoyed the "edgy" feeling. Will definitely keep the cheapo to use with moderate sharpness razor blades.
I believe it was a Yaqi Knight Helmet, but I’d believe anything. That’s what I got searching posts while we await his reply.
Yes, it's the Yaqi Knight Helmet! Be aware: just because I'm mentioning it doesn't mean I'm recommending it. For me, its like using a lightsaber to slice butter.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I don't spend a lot of time in the Safety Razor subforum, so I can't dispute the OPs claims directly, but it feels a little off to me based on the rest of the site. When someone comes asking for recommendations (for razors, brushes, soaps, whetstones, firearms, smoking pipes, etc), it usually falls into 3 basic scenarios:

1. "Recommend me a new x," or "Recommend me a new x with these specific attributes." Responses run the gamut from cheap to expensive and everywhere in between. Almost always, there is a discussion of what, if anything, you're getting for the extra money.
  2. "Recommend me a new x with these attributes for under y dollars." Here you'll invariably get a great breakdown of whatever products exist in that price range and honest assessments of them.
  3. "I'm thinking about either x or y, help me decide." The answer is, of course, buy them both.
I think this site is great for these kind of discussions-- sure, there's some enabling, see point 3-- but it's helped me be a lot more intentional about the money I do spend on this hobby.

Great post!

So, I've been using the razor, and slowly turning up the adjustment. I'm up to 5 with Derby Extra blades. So far I haven't pulled out the styptic pencil.
While some VB razors have been cloned, the Emperor is not among them.
It is taking some time to get used to the asymmetric blade. Open comb on 1 side, close on the other. The open does a nice job for the first pass, I flip it over, and do the final pass on the same part of my face.
I did find out the shaving stand I bought won't work with the emperor, handle is too thick.

Well, since I will potentially be on the market for a new razor in a few months, I read threads like this with great interest. Not sure I will ever pay $300 for a single razor, though.

Even if I eventually get closer shaves with my Merkur 33c, I still probably want another razor for some variety. My self-imposed budget of $50 could get me something really nice if I go vintage, from what I've read here. I may increase it to $100 and get a really nice stainless steel modern one from someplace like Razorock. If that turns out ok then I may never need to buy another razor!

It is fine if you pay a lot of money for something, and you like it. The big question is could you have purchased something for less money instead that you would have liked just as much.

My one razor is made of zamak, a term I didn't even know when I bought it. I've since been doing a lot of reading and have found that it is not the most desirable material for a razor, yet many say it should last a long time if taken care of.

Although I'm getting better shaves than I did with carts, I'm pining for that perhaps elusive "BBS" that I haven't been able to get. Some say I will achieve it with persistence with the tools I already have.

Now in my case, if "the" razor for me turns out to cost $50 or $150, it really doesn't matter. But what this thread tells me is that a higher price does not necessarily equal a better shave. But if a somewhat high price gets me the razor that is "it" for me, there's no sense pondering whether or not a cheaper razor would have been just as good. The trick is knowing which cheaper razor would have been "it."

@JamieD , form$50, you can get a Fatip Grande and a vintage GEM Micromatic Open Comb razor. Both are kid-tested and mother-approved.
Yes, I have read about the Fatips. I certainly like the price. Which one do you recommend? -- they seem to have several different heads. I'm a bit worried about the blade aligment, though, since frankly my Merkur isn't perfect, either, something I didn't realize at first. At the beginning, I wasn't aware that you needed to do anything more than pop the blade in and shave! :) Just one of the many ropes I've been learning.

I need to read up on GEM -- I don't know anything about them at present.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Which one do you recommend?

Imrecommend the Fatip Grande. It uses their standard open-comb head and has a hollow handle. The one I have is nickel-plated, but lots of folks like the gold plating, the copper plating, and the chrome plating as well.

Their slant razors; Lo Storto Originale and Lo Storto Gentilé; can be either the best thaings in the universe or break in normal use. With the non-slanted heads, the alignment just means you just have to pay attention when changing the blade.

You may also want to check out razors from Pearl such as their Blaze, Flexi, or Hammer.

Top Bottom