What's new

Any Double Edge *AND* Leaf users? Do you alternate? Or____?

Hi all,

Hope everyone's New Year is starting out with success, happiness, good health and peace! (Chaplain in United States Chaplain Corps; so some greetings never get old. :LMS)

I have a number of DE razors (gradually moving up from closed and open comb, to no comb, sharper blades, so on). I *ALSO* have the Leaf (Twig/Thorn), which is a different system. I am sure others have both setups as well. What do you do? Do you alternate? Do you use Leaf (Twig or Thorn) on weekends, less fuss/muss, faster? Curious minds want to know. Thank you.

Cheers.

Hi all,

Hope everyone's New Year is starting out with success, happiness, good health and peace! (Chaplain in United States Chaplain Corps; so some greetings never get old. :LMS)

I have a number of DE razors (gradually moving up from closed and open comb, to no comb, sharper blades, so on). I *ALSO* have the Leaf (Twig/Thorn), which is a different system. I am sure others have both setups as well. What do you do? Do you alternate? Do you use Leaf (Twig or Thorn) on weekends, less fuss/muss, faster? Curious minds want to know. Thank you.

Cheers.
Good question.
I have about a dozen DE safety razors and added a Twig in October and liked it so much I then added a Thorn a few weeks later. I absolutely love both of them. I rotate my razors between three categories:
1) Vintage Gillettes (3 Flare Tips, 3 older Super Speeds)
2) Modern razors: (Edwin Jagger, Rockwell 6C, Game Changer)
3) The Leaf Twig/Leaf Thorn

I purposely rotate because I appreciate and like all of them. To be honest, if I had discovered the Twig/Thorn first, I might not have delved as heavily into DE razors because they're that good. But I'm glad I have numerous options and am now exploring adding a DE adjustable as well.
I think the Twig/Thorn are hugely underrated and really appreciate the fact they use a DE blade snapped in half rather than some expensive proprietary blade.
But I love my vintage Gillettes and my modern razors as well. They all serve a purpose and have strengths and weaknesses (although not many weaknesses, come to think of it.)

Good question.
I have about a dozen DE safety razors and added a Twig in October and liked it so much I then added a Thorn a few weeks later. I absolutely love both of them. I rotate my razors between three categories:
1) Vintage Gillettes (3 Flare Tips, 3 older Super Speeds)
2) Modern razors: (Edwin Jagger, Rockwell 6C, Game Changer)
3) The Leaf Twig/Leaf Thorn

I purposely rotate because I appreciate and like all of them. To be honest, if I had discovered the Twig/Thorn first, I might not have delved as heavily into DE razors because they're that good. But I'm glad I have numerous options and am now exploring adding a DE adjustable as well.
I think the Twig/Thorn are hugely underrated and really appreciate the fact they use a DE blade snapped in half rather than some expensive proprietary blade.
But I love my vintage Gillettes and my modern razors as well. They all serve a purpose and have strengths and weaknesses (although not many weaknesses, come to think of it.)
VERY HELPFUL! Thank you, @Lockback

How much more aggressive do you find the Thorn compared to Twig? If you could make an "equivalency", would you say Twig is as beginner like as Merkur 34c? Or? And the Thorn?

VERY HELPFUL! Thank you, @Lockback

How much more aggressive do you find the Thorn compared to Twig? If you could make an "equivalency", would you say Twig is as beginner like as Merkur 34c? Or? And the Thorn?
I find the difference minimal but noticeable. Both are smooth operators and give me no irritation whatsoever (I use Shark Super Stainless SE blades most of the time). But when I shave with the Twig, I sometimes will notice a slight 5 O'Clock shadow by day's end, whereas with the Thorn, I get less of that.
Yeah, I think comparing the Twig to a Merkur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89 is a good comparison.
The Thorn is just a tad closer but I still wouldn't call it aggressive. Aggressive razors don't agree with my face. I prefer mild/medium razors with nice, sharp blades.
I could have been happy with just the Twig but the Thorn went on sale after I bought the Twig and I thought, "Hey, why not?" I used to have a lot more expensive hobbies. :laugh:
You can never have too much of a good thing.

Last edited:
I have a Thorn and I love it. I use it most of the time. I do alternate with an ATT Windsor SB90 DE which is also a favorite of mine. I didn't think I would find anything better than the SB90 but the Thorn beats by a whisker. Two great razors I'll never part with. I like the Thorn so much I bought a back-up. Now I have one in Silver and one in Mercury.

Thorn_XX.jpg

Last edited:
I do not have a coarse/tough beard. Nor is my face particularly sensitive. And I shave every day. I could get away with less frequent shaving but then I would have several lifetimes of soaps to use up.

I have DEs, Injector SEs, and Gems. I like all of them, but my favorites are the Schick Injectors and the Twig.

I’m retired so I almost have as much time as I want to take to shave. Maybe once or twice a month do I have to rush. I do not have any particular rota for alternating razors. I pick whichever I’m in the mood for. Often I select the night before which razor I will use in the morning. But then I may change my mind when it comes time to shave.

The Twig gets more use than any other razor, I think. It just shaves nicely and is comfortable to use. I prefer milder razors over aggressive ones so the Twig fits that nicely.

The Twig is less fuss than a DE because it’s easier to get under the nose. It’s more fuss because every once in a while you have to break a blade in half.

Sorry this probably isn’t much help in trying to set up a routine. But no routine is more fun for me

Sorry this probably isn’t much help in trying to set up a routine. But no routine is more fun for me
Firstly, it IS helpful. Thank you. I’ve come to learn that I don’t need to “use” all advice given, but I try to listen a lot.

I just shaved before an evening out. The Twig was VERY mild (fresh Derby Extra blade (well/single/halved), which is a forgiving blade to begin with. So, IMHO, the Twig + Derby Extra was like shaving with Merkur 34c on training wheels.

My skin is a bit sensitive, mind you.

After two passes, I finished off with the Vikings Meiji on the comb side, setting three. Once more, fresh Derby Extra blade which I feels is a “safety” move for me since a Nacet might be waaaaaay to sharp and aggressive for a third pass on setting three.

Anyway, the above turned out to be a wonderful shave. One teensy nick around my chin (hardest part for me to shave—TIPS welcome!). ⬅️ ⬅️ ⬅️ 🙏🏼

I can see how the Twig is your go-to. Regardless of retirement. Make sense. (At least to me. 😏)

Cheers.

Another Twig fan here. I purchased and tried about a dozen DE’s and injectors over the past 2 1/2 years trying to figure out what works best for me.

Long story short, I mostly use the Twig these days. I like it enough I bought a backup as well. Someday I will get a Thorn, but I’m in no hurry. The only DE I continue to use is the RazoRock Game Changer 68 SB. Shave results are almost identical and the Twig is just more nimble. I also occasionally use a Mach 3. Sometimes I alternate weeks, but use the Twig 60-70% of the time.

Razors I tried and don’t use much (some I no longer have) include: Charcoal Goods Everyday, post-war Gillette Tech, Gillette Super Speed, Schick J, Supply SE, Henson mild, Merkur 34c, Feather Popular, and King C Gillette. The Twig beat all of those.

Obviously, I favor mild razors (with sharp blades).

Good luck!

Another Twig fan here. I purchased and tried about a dozen DE’s and injectors over the past 2 1/2 years trying to figure out what works best for me.

Long story short, I mostly use the Twig these days.

Obviously, I favor mild razors (with sharp blades).
What blade(s) are you using in Twig? It seems SO mild of a shaver.

Also, the angle for me seems harder with the Twig and it seems I need more passes than usual. My skin is mid-sensitive and I don’t have coarse hair, so I must have the angle wrong. I’m very good with my Merkur 34c and even the Meiji which I use to finish up; works wonders on the comb side.

Blades? Angle? TY.

@phdezra

It is a mild razor. I think shaving for almost 50 years with fixed head razors like the Trac II, Good News and Schick ST2 actually led to the ease of use and finding/maintaining the correct angle with the Twig for me. Finding the best angle for any razor is the key to getting a good shave imho. I can simply find it easily with the Twig. Others, for example, the Schick injector were just not natural for me and I have too much muscle memory (or I am too stubborn) to adapt well. I seem to be able to shave well with the Game Changer and 34c as well. I'll have to pay more attention on the next shave to what my angle actually is, but I am thinking it is on the shallow side of 30 degrees.

I had already worked out which blades I preferred by the time I got my Twig. I mainly use Feathers, Nacets and Perma-Sharps. I believe these are considered to be on the sharper side. I had poor results with Sharks and am on the fence with Derby Professionals right now. If I had to pick one favorite it would be the Nacet because I can get more than one shave with it as compared to the Feather.

FWIW, I only do a 2-pass shave with minor touch ups mostly on the neck. Mostly shave every other day (nearing retirement) and do not chase "BBS". My goatee area is gray and heavy, the rest is normal. Not bothered by sensitive skin.

I own a Leaf razor and a Henson DE.
I put these two brands in the same category because
the correct blade angle is designed into the head of the razor.

They both make for "no-brainer" shaves and both
yield fantastic results.

For that reason, I'm keeping them for future use
until my skills with a traditional DE begin to decline
or my patience begins to run thin.

Hi all,

Cheers.
No, I hate cleaning that thing, so I use it very little. I got two of the BST on an awesome deal, gave one to my wife, but she has been using the Kai Captain shavette with a protouch guarded blade exclusively for a couple of years now. So last year I gifted my leaf to a cousin of mine together with a Rockwell 6S razor that wasn't getting much love, and kept my wife's practically new leaf razor. It's still here, very good looking and all, bit I tend to gravitate towards my three-piece razors more and more, they are all stainless and I use the personna blades that don't come with wax dots so maintenance and cleaning is minimal. Once in a while I will load some blades on the leaf, and use it for a week to justify the whole process, but most of the time it just sits there.

It is a great product, specially for body shavers but if you have the dexterity a three piece seems to be just as effective.

@phdezra

FWIW, I only do a 2-pass shave with minor touch ups mostly on the neck. Mostly shave every other day (nearing retirement) and do not chase "BBS". My goatee area is gray and heavy, the rest is normal. Not bothered by sensitive skin.
Could you expound a bit more on how you do your chin area? I suppose the goatee covers chin, but the chin edge/rounding down is the hardest area for me. 😔

Could you expound a bit more on how you do your chin area? I suppose the goatee covers chin, but the chin edge/rounding down is the hardest area for me. 😔

Sure. Nothing special or what you might glean from others on this forum. First pass is North-to-South and second is generally out-to-in (XTG). Experience with my face has taught me that this will work for me. Same technique regardless of razor.

I don't have a Leaf. I stopped using my Twig as I felt is was dangerous (unsupported blade which gave occassional nasty gashes). However, I made my own single DE blade Leaf that is even better with extra pivots! I now use it for the first pass (clearing the forest) and a Yaqi Excalibur for cleanup (grinding the stumps).

Top Bottom