What's new

I'm a slant noob, what to expect?

I have a Mercur 37c on its way. I normally shave with a EJ DE89 and an Astra SP blade. I bought the 37c to help with the irritation on my neck and Adam's apple. Secondary goal is for time savings for those less than leisurely AM shaves on a workday.

What can I expect out of my first shave with this bad boy? Should I go with a milder blade? Is it going to be like my first straight shave where I turned my neck into tuna tartare on my fit WTG pass? Any pro tips?

Stay light on the touch until you are accustomed to the difference in the way the blade is exposed. My 37C is a pussycat with a light touch but won't hesitate to remind me who's in charge if I try to treat it like a 34C.

Using my slant wasn't significantly different from using my regular straight bar razor (Jagger DE89). I just took my time, checked for the correct angle, and used the lightest touch I could manage with it. I thought it worked like a charm. If I wasn't doing OCtober and using open combs this month, I'd be using my slant as my go-to razor.

My 37C has recently become my Go-To Razor, and I am surprised because when I first acquired it, we did not get along too well. Of course, the problem was with me, not the razor, but when I re-visited it a few months later, my method had improved enough to finally understand why this razor is so highly regarded. As for Time Savings, this the only razor that I own that can deliver a Socially Acceptable One-Pass Shave any day of the week. I love my 37C, and it will always be near the top of my rotation.

A fantastically smooth shave. I'm coming from a Futur and the 37c is miler by far. Be careful on your neck as the complex curves of the neck and the slant geometry can add up to a LOT of blade to skin contact. Manage the AoA and you'll be fine. I love mine.

Top Bottom