What's new

Any recommendations after a Merkur 34C

I am really enjoying my Merkur razor, but would like to try something more aggressive in the future. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Chris

What kind of blades are you liking in the merkur? I started with 34C and also had the De89 my experience is that the blade alignment on these razors is really good. I went through so many razors various brands trying to find what I wanted blade feel and smoothness and sometimes a decent one came around and blade alignment issues or bad finish. I got a weber ph in 2013-2014 used it for over a year before I even knew what weber "wavy blade" was, for a long time I thought I was getting bad blades but it was the wavy blade scratching at my face and it was very subtle wave only on one side of the head so half the time It shaved smooth as butter. Sorry for this long story but ill get to the point here, I suggest Above the tie stainless steal razor in your future excellent blade alignment very nice blade feel even on the mildest head and you can chose how aggressive you want the razor with the different base plates closed comb or open. YMMV

I would suggest you to try, next to close comb, an open comb and a slant. A mild open comb would be the Merkur 23/25c or a more aggresive the Mühle R41. For me a mild slant is the Merkur 37c. Once you figure out which of these basic three head designs is yours, you can start and search for more aggressive/effective/milder counterparts of each head design. And don`t forget the adjustable ones (although these are just closed combs with a different gap). Also you can change each razor by trying different Razor blades. There is a wide variation, but with a little patience you will find the perfect fit for you. For example although i have several years of wet shaving experience behind me, i´ve recently figured out that slants are the thing for me and my skin! But I`ve also tried Shavettes and Straight Razors and all different kinds of different head designs.

Last edited:
How about an adjustable razor such as the Progress by Merkur. You can make it as aggressive or mild as you want.

[MENTION=90194]Mjairo[/MENTION] I am going through an assortment pack of blades. So far I have tried Derby, Feather, ASP, Lords, Gillette green box 7 O'clocks, and Sharks. The shaves from some of them work great. I'm just thinking I wouldn't mind trying something else if I run across a razor at a garage sale or second hand shop.
[MENTION=107797]DrYad3[/MENTION] I will keep an eye out for a slant and open comb. I won't be collecting a dozen razors, but hope to find a couple of second hand ones.
[MENTION=29847]ackvil[/MENTION] I looked at the Progress. Its simply too expensive for me when it is a want instead of a need. However, I have seen some old Gillette (I think) adjustable razors. I might pick one up if I run across one again.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hey Chris you don't need to start a collection, you can also bye a used Razor and if you don't like it, sell it again. That way you wont loose any money. I`ve also had once an adjustable, a Vision 2000, but i would never again buy one. IMHO they need much more attention regarding keeping them clean, so that the mechanism stay smooth and intact, then a normal DE Razor.

Hey Chris you don't need to start a collection, you can also bye a used Razor and if you don't like it, sell it again. That way you wont loose any money. I`ve also had once an adjustable, a Vision 2000, but i would never again buy one. IMHO they need much more attention regarding keeping them clean, so that the mechanism stay smooth and intact, then a normal DE Razor.
That's a good point, regarding the maintenance. I am not going to purchase anything right away, but would like to be smart about it if I run into something. Thanks.

I have been able to make my 34c HD more aggressive simply by using a more aggressive blade such as a feather in it. If you want to get a whole new razor an adjustable as previously suggested is a good idea as it allows you to dial in the level of aggressiveness that you desire. I would suggest a vintage Gillette slim or fatboy. They shave similarly but the slim can be had for less money. If you want a more aggressive razor that is not adjustable and won't break the bank then look into the RazoRock SLAB (ShaveLikeABoss). It's a fairly aggressive razor, especially compared to the 34c HD, but is also comfortable and somewhat forgiving. As a bonus it's not an expensive razor by any metric. That way if you find that you do not like more aggressive razors you are not out much money and gives you the option of selling or not selling. I find I like a more aggressive razor if I haven't shaved in 3-4 days. If I'm shaving daily or every other day I prefer the 34c HD or similarly aggressive razor. If you get one post up a review with your thoughts. Take care.

I have been able to make my 34c HD more aggressive simply by using a more aggressive blade such as a feather in it. If you want to get a whole new razor an adjustable as previously suggested is a good idea as it allows you to dial in the level of aggressiveness that you desire. I would suggest a vintage Gillette slim or fatboy. They shave similarly but the slim can be had for less money. If you want a more aggressive razor that is not adjustable and won't break the bank then look into the RazoRock SLAB (ShaveLikeABoss). It's a fairly aggressive razor, especially compared to the 34c HD, but is also comfortable and somewhat forgiving. As a bonus it's not an expensive razor by any metric. That way if you find that you do not like more aggressive razors you are not out much money and gives you the option of selling or not selling. I find I like a more aggressive razor if I haven't shaved in 3-4 days. If I'm shaving daily or every other day I prefer the 34c HD or similarly aggressive razor. If you get one post up a review with your thoughts. Take care.
Thanks for the tips, Mark. I was thinking that a more aggressive razor would take less passes, although my technique may be why I need three or four to get a really good shave. I also thought it might help around the jaw line, which is the hardest area to get absolutely smooth.

I obviously don't know how sensitive your face is to shaving but I know personally that every time I chase a BBS shave I end up with irritation. I just go for CCS or DFS. I also can't do much ATG. My normal and comfortable shave is a WTG pass, a XTG pass, then some ATG on my chin, lower lip, and the odd time jaw line. I would definitely suggest trying the 34c HD with a more aggressive blade such as a feather before moving onto a purchase of a more aggressive razor. RAD can be a bank account killer if you get into some of the higher end new build razors out there.
I also find that even with a more aggressive razor such as the SLAB or slim on an aggressive setting that I still need at least two passes and some touchups. I find with the more aggressive razor that I just seem to get closer on the initial pass.

I would get the 39C next, you'll have the ability to mix and match combos, 34C, 37C, 38C and 39C with just those 2 razors. Its really all anyone needs, but that is easier said then done!

I will have to look at these. I find it strange that the is a NEW and an OLD. Of course, I am bewildered that there are so many types out there just for shaving.

While it's true they're just for shaving, there are so many types for the same reason you're asking about a more aggressive option. They all shave differently.

While it's true they're just for shaving, there are so many types for the same reason you're asking about a more aggressive option. They all shave differently.
[MENTION=48474]golem[/MENTION] Well put. You are absolutely correct.

34C is what I have now, really like it, use the polislivers and just love what I get from it, like the yellow gillettes too. But I'm making the jump to a Timeless now, Rockwell would be a good choice too as you can try 6 different aggressiveness.

34C is what I have now, really like it, use the polislivers and just love what I get from it, like the yellow gillettes too. But I'm making the jump to a Timeless now, Rockwell would be a good choice too as you can try 6 different aggressiveness.
I am not at all unsatisfied with my 34C. I just hear about different razors and it peaks my interest. I also wonder if I could get the same shave in just two passes since I keep hearing the 34C is so mild. I will keep going through the sampler pack. I really like the feathers, which also happen to be the most expensive of the pack. I also liked the ASPs.

OK, although my wife might be mighty unhappy when it arrives, I took the plunge with a 1940s Gillette fat boy. I don't have a lot of details, but I know the reviews are good. I wasn't going to jump into this so quickly, but I am anxious to see the difference between the two razors.

OK, although my wife might be mighty unhappy when it arrives, I took the plunge with a 1940s Gillette fat boy. I don't have a lot of details, but I know the reviews are good. I wasn't going to jump into this so quickly, but I am anxious to see the difference between the two razors.
Actually it is a late 40s Gillette Milord. From what I have read, it is similar to a super speed. I am really looking forward to trying it.

Try either a (slant) Merkur 37C or (open comb) Muhle R41.

The 37C is a little more aggressive than the 34C and the R41 is a lot more aggressive IMHO. Or just make the leap for a Rockwell.

Top Bottom