What's new

Lard

Many years ago almost all British chippies cooked the fish and chips in beef dripping. Some places in the north of England still do. The taste is out of this world!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Check out this cookbook Aaron.

Fat by Jennifer McLagan

We initially borrowed it from the library then purchased.

Chapter 2, pork fat: THE KING

Her other books Bones, & Bitter are equally enjoyable.

https://www.amazon.com/Fat-Appreciation-Misunderstood-Ingredient-Recipes/dp/1580089356

My wife has always used lard or butter for the pies she bakes. Tenderflake Lard has always been available up here during my lifetime as far as i know.

dave

You can't make a proper crust without lard. Tenderflake is non-hydrogenated, so they claim.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
If they could just change the name to something with a little less lardiness.

The Germans call it Schmalz....better.

The French call it Saindoux....much better.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The sugar industry years ago paid for rigged research to pin heart disease on fats instead of sugars. When looking for truth, see who funds the research.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
If they could just change the name to something with a little less lardiness.

The Germans call it Schmalz....better.

The French call it Saindoux....much better.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

$20161001_123320.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It wouldn't surprise if me if they also had salt pork in them (or if the person just wanted to say "lard" instead of "salt pork" because they didn't want to explain salt pork (or they wanted to keep their secret)).

I love either salt pork or ham hocks in my beans. I have never used both at the same time. Hmmm.....

I grew up with this. It was for lunches and snacks. Either lard (from pork) or schmaltz (from hen and goose). I preferred and liked best the schmaltz. Spread on fresh bread.
We preserved meat and sausages in jars with lard (canned).

No problems here.

View attachment 692371

Image saved for various purposes...

I've been able to find it at various stores everywhere I can remember. Sometimes it hides near the Hispanic foods area. I too use it for pie crusts, but I use butter also. About 50/50.

Last edited:
I've been reading "Eat Fat, Get Thin" by Dr. Mark Hyman.
He also recommends butter and non-processed oils like Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
I can't recall what he says about lard..

Top Bottom