What's new

Lard

I see this beautiful thread about lard has gone down the list a bit. I had to go to the second page to see it. Nay I say, nay. I shall bump it back into prominence so that lard's position in the B+B world can be secured. I love cooking with lard. Baking, fried eggs, stir-fry, I use it for just about everything. You don't get the flavor that you would with butter, but that's just it, it is a less invasive flavor and can allow other flavors to shine through. I won't weigh in on if it's good for you or not, but I love fat. It makes everything so flavorful, and delicious. And it fills me up quicker when everything is nice and rich. I go to a local butcher(local as in they get everything from farms just outside of LA except for lamb I think). They render their own fat and sell it out of coolers. The tallow is delicious, but has a definite taste and smell(my wife always asks what's burning when I cook with tallow). Chicken schmaltz is good but I usually get around a 1/2C when I make chicken stock, so that suits me fine. Bacon grease is perfect for everything, though lately I have been stuck on biscuits and gravy from it. Mm-mmm! Last thing, I remember my mom always had a bowl of bacon grease on the back of the oven. It is a habit I have taken up as well.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I see this beautiful thread about lard has gone down the list a bit. I had to go to the second page to see it. Nay I say, nay. I shall bump it back into prominence so that lard's position in the B+B world can be secured. I love cooking with lard. Baking, fried eggs, stir-fry, I use it for just about everything. You don't get the flavor that you would with butter, but that's just it, it is a less invasive flavor and can allow other flavors to shine through. I won't weigh in on if it's good for you or not, but I love fat. It makes everything so flavorful, and delicious. And it fills me up quicker when everything is nice and rich. I go to a local butcher(local as in they get everything from farms just outside of LA except for lamb I think). They render their own fat and sell it out of coolers. The tallow is delicious, but has a definite taste and smell(my wife always asks what's burning when I cook with tallow). Chicken schmaltz is good but I usually get around a 1/2C when I make chicken stock, so that suits me fine. Bacon grease is perfect for everything, though lately I have been stuck on biscuits and gravy from it. Mm-mmm! Last thing, I remember my mom always had a bowl of bacon grease on the back of the oven. It is a habit I have taken up as well.
We use empty spaghetti sauce jars.

Long live the LARD!!!!
It should always be on the first page!!!

Here's my lard story.

Way back in the early Eighties I worked at a Mexican restaurant that had the best refried beans. We used lots of lard and a pressure cooker and the beans were so good on burritos or even just straight out of a cup with some shredded cheese on top. I remember my friends being dismayed when I told them that the secret was lard so even then lard already had a bad name.

But they were good! I'm nostalgic about those beans.

Here's my lard story.

Way back in the early Eighties I worked at a Mexican restaurant that had the best refried beans. We used lots of lard and a pressure cooker and the beans were so good on burritos or even just straight out of a cup with some shredded cheese on top. I remember my friends being dismayed when I told them that the secret was lard so even then lard already had a bad name.

But they were good! I'm nostalgic about those beans.
I get that way too about really great refried beans. So nostalgic you can smell it.

But, yes. Refried beans should be made with lard. Vegetarian beans are heresy.

I have recently switched to lard for my pie crusts, and will likely start to use it for other cooking and frying as well, I am thinking. I also found a pretty bullet proof pie crust recipe, which made me super happy. :D

If you go to any store that caters to the Hispanics. you will find lard from 1 lb packages to 5 gallon buckets. So not everyone has fallen for the pc bs. Charlie

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Back in Hebrew school, they used to make us recite this prayer:

Lard is great
Lard is good
Thank you Lord
For the lard

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Back in Hebrew school, they used to make us recite this prayer:

Lard is great
Lard is good