What's new

Do you talk about how much $ you make?

Do I discuss my salary? Of course, all the time. Everybody needs a good hearty belly laugh every now and then.

I work for state government. My salary is actually posted on the governor's website (along with everyone else)....lol.

I don't discuss it (although we do at work sometimes) but if anyone wants to get a good resentment/superior vibe going they can do it at will.

I find it distasteful to talk about how much money you make. I've known plenty of bozos that believed just because they made x + amount of $ they were better than everyone else. No one's yearly salary is an indicator of who they are as a person. The wealthy social elites drive me nuts when acting as if they are more important than the rest of society.

As an above poster wrote I too work for the government so my salary is easily found via google if anyone is that bored.

Some of the comments make me chuckle and think back to the late 90s when where I worked first went to direct deposit. There was one guy who held out, saying he didn't want his wife to know what he made. He is a Baby Boomer, had been married for 30 years at that point, and still is, but that is the craziest thing I've ever heard.

He held out for a year or so, and I was sitting beside him with the pay lady came by, handed him the paperwork and told him that if he wanted paid the next Friday, he WOULD be on direct deposit; they were not going to write one person a check.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Some of the comments make me chuckle and think back to the late 90s when where I worked first went to direct deposit. There was one guy who held out, saying he didn't want his wife to know what he made. He is a Baby Boomer, had been married for 30 years at that point, and still is, but that is the craziest thing I've ever heard.

He held out for a year or so, and I was sitting beside him with the pay lady came by, handed him the paperwork and told him that if he wanted paid the next Friday, he WOULD be on direct deposit; they were not going to write one person a check.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have people make comments to me like, "If I was making what you make..." I just look at them and say, "Dude, you were 7 when I started working here."

Mine isn't anything to write home about. I just happen to be top 5 seniority in the hourly bracket since I've been there since 4 months after the plant opened in 1995. Of course I'm going to be making more than them when they only have a few years in the plant.

When I buy things like a new TV or what have you, I take the boxes to work and put them in the dumpster. I will never put them on the curb- people look for things like that.

Glad I'm not the only one who does that.
I also burn my mail, and don't use Interac unless necessary.

I have a tendency to burn things like boxes from big ticket items not because I care whether anyone knows I can afford them but because I don't want the local pill heads knowing its in the house and breaking in while those of us with jobs are at work.

Great thread. My wife is a state employee and her salary is published. But it leads to miserable comparisons.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
When I buy things like a new TV or what have you, I take the boxes to work and put them in the dumpster. I will never put them on the curb- people look for things like that.

And yet you complain when your office keeps getting robbed.

I love when Al Neri closes the door. Shortly after I joined the site, actor Richard Bright suffered a tragic end when he was struck and killed by a tour bus in the city.

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A few years back, I was waiting for a bus at the Port Authority in NYC. An unbelievably cute young girl was wearing a sweatshirt from a university from which my niece had recently graduated. Just the break I needed. Hint for the ladies- never crack the door open for Ouch. Anyway, after a few minutes I told her the school had an excellent reputation for job placement and that my niece managed to land a job with Dannon Yogurt (nb: Uncle Ouch is still waiting for a free tub) and was making about a buck and a half. The young lass asked me something that really caused me to pause for a moment: "Is that a lot or a little? I mean, would I be able to live on that?"

I had to stop and reflect for a moment on just how much people, especially the young, struggle with the simplest concepts of finance. So I told her this- "The answer is both yes and no. I work with people who make more than that but live from week to week and are continually broke. I also work with people who make less than that who live very comfortable lives and want for nothing. What you earn is only half of the equation. The other is the more important part, and the one over which you usually have more control: what you do with it."

As previously stated, I am a high school teacher. I had a student once who made a comment that she expected to make $75K right out of high school without even going to college; she knew that wasn't much but thought she could live on it for a couple of years until her real salary kicked in. I broke out into uncontrollable laughter and told her to go ask any adult in the building if they made $75K a year.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
A few years back, I was waiting for a bus at the Port Authority in NYC. An unbelievably cute young girl was wearing a sweatshirt from a university from which my niece had recently graduated. Just the break I needed. Hint for the ladies- never crack the door open for Ouch. Anyway, after a few minutes I told her the school had an excellent reputation for job placement and that my niece managed to land a job with Dannon Yogurt (nb: Uncle Ouch is still waiting for a free tub) and was making about a buck and a half. The young lass asked me something that really caused me to pause for a moment: "Is that a lot or a little? I mean, would I be able to live on that?"

I had to stop and reflect for a moment on just how much people, especially the young, struggle with the simplest concepts of finance. So I told her this- "The answer is both yes and no. I work with people who make more than that but live from week to week and are continually broke. I also work with people who make less than that who live very comfortable lives and want for nothing. What you earn is only half of the equation. The other is the more important part, and the one over which you usually have more control: what you do with it."

My father use to say the more you earn the more you need.
People just adjust their spending to their new higher income and push their money limits, loans etc. More expensive house, car, etc.
Some can be also viewed as penny wise and pound foolish, in his words.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
And yet you complain when your office keeps getting robbed.

I love when Al Neri closes the door. Shortly after I joined the site, actor Richard Bright suffered a tragic end when he was struck and killed by a tour bus in the city.
Al said a lot without saying a word.

At my last job, we had a lot of Millenials and they all knew each others' salary and bonus - they just cannot help yakking. It led to resentment and bickering, with subsequent high staff turnover. No matter what we did to stop them, they kept doing it. Idiots.

My wife and keep our finances personal. Although she is a government employee and her's is public. I'll tell you this though if I didn't have to pay for my education I would live more comfortably. I was taught to live within my means. So even though we make decent money we don't live that way.

I was speaking at Career Day at my kids' school last year about a career in engineering. I had a chart that compared the beginning salary of other professions with a bachelor's degree that put engineering in a good light. One of the kids asked me how much I made. I panicked and looked at the teacher, who shrugged and then nodded. So I told them. That question was asked in six of the seven classes I spoke to that day.

I'm still not sure I made the right choice. It is no secret that engineers among (adults, at least) are generally well-paid, and that should help move some kids in that direction. But it also bothers me that my kids' teachers and other students now know what I make.

I told them I would do it again in the spring, so I guess I need to decide before then.

Its not hard to talk about nothing. :blush: Like Jayne said: Ten percent of nothin' is, let me do the math here... nothin' and a nothin', carry the nothin'...

"Comparison is the thief of joy." ~Theodore Roosevelt

It's bad form to talk about money. You don't need to reveal your salary to have discussion about investments, cool cars, and other things.

I know very insecure people who like to let people know what they make (if they think it will impress the person that they are telling) but in my opinion it backfires badly and you end up looking like a bozo.

Top Bottom