What's new

Ya like Dags? My foray into wet shaving and the honorable order of aquisition

Quick mail call...quite a nice smelling one at that!!

$DSCF0752.JPG

(L-R)
Penhaligons English Fern EdT (50ml)
Bond no 9 Sacks New York Oud EdP
Voodoo Brew Heavy Pomade

The Pen's I got a real good deal on, NIB, that I couldn't pass up. ($35 shipped for the 50ml bottle) The pomade, well...just wanted to try a heavy pomade as I'm growing my hair out and the texturizing paste isn't cutting it. Plus it smells nice...cocounut and vanilla.

The real surprise is the Bond no 9 New York Oud EdP...this was a very generous PIF from [MENTION=110007]doc47[/MENTION] . Dan your generosity knows no bounds...this stuff smells amazing; so much so I'm changing up the planned shave for tomorrow to fit it in!!

Josh:
Great reads, have and wonderful Mail call!! Great Stuff and be careful the English Fern is like a drug, can never have enough, LOL

Josh:
Great reads, have and wonderful Mail call!! Great Stuff and be careful the English Fern is like a drug, can never have enough, LOL

LOL...I'll ensure it's used responsibly. It got paired with the TABACAVEG today...

Great haul Josh!

Thanks Eric!

Woot!

Nice shave with the Eiko! I'm glad you like the juice, enjoy! :thumbup:

Thanks Dan! The juice is amazing, can't wait to give it a test drive. Will be tomorrow morning though...had to throw an audible out there this morning in honor of Eric's epic shave!

Friday, 2 December, 2016 – TABACAVEG – Straight Shave #77

Honing notes and mail call

I’m not going to go over the wonderful mail call yesterday, as I already posted about it. I did get some sharpies in today to help out with honing. I was able, last night, to do some additional work on the Jern. I changed up the honing method a little, and started doing rolling X-strokes only, and no circles. Using moderate to light pressure, I was able to work all the way through water only progressions. I stropped it and checked to see if it was tree-topping and where it was on an HHT test. It was popping hairs fairly well, but the HHT was only at maybe a 2. I’ll take it back to Tomo nagura and water only laps and get some further refinement on the edge before I try shaving with it.

Nightly Lather

No nightly lather last night as, by the time I was finished with the honing, I was ready for sleep and nothing else.

Prep: Hot Shower | Stirling Hot Apple Cider
Pre-shave: CBLindsay’s Rosemary Preshave soap | hot towel
Strop: CBLindsay turkish linen (25) | TomoNagura Firehose (50) | TomoNagura Velvet Horsehide (100)
Razor: C.V. Heljestrand Mk*31
Brush: RazoRock 26mm “Big Bruce” plissoft synthetic
Soap: TABACAVEG!
Bowl: The Shaving Place Mountain Blue Glazed Lather Bowl
Post-shave: Alum | Cold towel | Thayer’s Cucumber Witch Hazel | Nivea Men Facial Cream
Aftershave: TTFFC Currants and Rose (Sue Moore edition)
Fragrance: Penhaligon’s English Fern EdT
Album of the Day: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - A Miscellaneous mix of songs
Song of the Day: Southern Cross
View attachment 706406
The morning shave

I did have a different line-up for the shave this morning than what I ended up using. But in honor of Eric’s epic shave today with the TABACAVEG, I decided that that took precedence over anything else. So I grabbed the CVH, TABACAVEG and some floral scents to pair up with it; in this case the TTFFC Rose and Currants Sue Moore edition AS, pairing it up with Penhaligon’s English Fern. Not a bad pairing, though it could be better. The TABACAVEG is an interesting scent...since I've never experienced Tabac, nor the Veg in its raw form, telling what the scent moves from is nigh impossible for me. I can't say it's entirely unpleasant...the lather was wonderful however, and it gave great slickness and cushion for the Mk*31. The shave was pretty quick, just a two passer due to time constraints, both being a bit of a hybrid WTG/XTG/ATG, and the result was a minimal irritation, 1 very small weeper, DFS. I thought I had an “Aha!” moment midway through the shave, but alas, it was not…just a very subtle hint of something I did very right, and was just as quickly gone. Lol I’ll get there…

The Music

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young are just classic. While not necessarily nostalgic for me, (being put out a few years before my time), it is a reminder of another turbulent time in recent American history, not too unlike what we are experiencing now. While there were many songs in the menagerie that I selected that are great, such as the politically charged song “Ohio”, and the coming of age song “Teach Your Children”, my favorite song from them has always been “Southern Cross”, so it gets song of the day.

Glad to hear you have experienced a bit of the Tabacaveg phenomenon. I've not experienced the soap, but from having mixed up the potion, I can see where one might notice a bit of dissonance at first. It does settle down pretty good in a moment or two.
Great work with the 31! It would be difficult to do badly with that razor. :thumbsup:

Glad to hear you have experienced a bit of the Tabacaveg phenomenon. I've not experienced the soap, but from having mixed up the potion, I can see where one might notice a bit of dissonance at first. It does settle down pretty good in a moment or two.
Great work with the 31! It would be difficult to do badly with that razor. :thumbsup:

With the shave having to be a bit more expedient, I went with a razor I'm more comfortable with. I'm confident with the 31 and can get it around the track pretty quickly without too many worries of unecessary bloodshed.

Very cool pairing with the scents, and amazing deal on the Penhaligon's English Fern. :thumbup:

Lol I hate the "almost-aha" moments, but it's there in your head somewhere and will reveal itself eventually.

Thanks Chad! I'll have to get some Tabac and a sample of the Veg to make an actual judgement on the scents.

Nice shave, and Make sure you decant the Veg in Glass before doing anything or you will literally explode...... or have 1500 cats, and the EF does not play well with anything except SCS Fairway but really does not need anything but its Englishy Ferny Goodness:thumbup:

I have to start reading your journals more consistently, I'm very interested in your honing adventure!

Thanks, i'm learning something all the time!

Very cool pairing with the scents, and amazing deal on the Penhaligon's English Fern. :thumbup:

Lol I hate the "almost-aha" moments, but it's there in your head somewhere and will reveal itself eventually.

I tried emulating the feel of that "Aha!" this morning to mixed results...lol. Like I told Ron in the SOTD thread, I was going for the "I'm a Garden" scent profile.

A fine shave Josh, not perfect, but a good shave for a quickie. :thumbup: I hope you can find some time this weekend to get with the stones and tame a few razors. Enjoy the weekend - I see Oud in your immediate future:lol:

Unlike Teddy KGB in Rounders, I did feel satisfied after the quickie...lol. I'm looking forward to getting this Jern finished up with some tomo and water progressions so I can start on the next Jern. Then I'll be caught up!

Nice shave, and Make sure you decant the Veg in Glass before doing anything or you will literally explode...... or have 1500 cats, and the EF does not play well with anything except SCS Fairway but really does not need anything but its Englishy Ferny Goodness:thumbup:

I actually liked the way it played off of the floral notes of the tabacaveg...it was an interesting combination. I do like the EF, though. Just bought a sample of a soap that might pair well with it...I'll update when it comes in. :thumbup:

Saturday, 3 December, 2016 – Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Cavendish – Straight Shave #78

Nightly Lather

Another day without a nightly lather. I did however throw some witch hazel on before packing it in. Part of the reason for this is I have to walk outside to do this, and it’s getting downright CHILLY out here in the mountains. I’ll take a nice warm room and bed, thank you very much!

Prep: Hot Shower | Stirling Hot Apple Cider
Pre-shave: CBLindsay’s Rosemary Preshave soap | hot towel
Strop: CBLindsay turkish linen (25) | TomoNagura Firehose (50) | TomoNagura Velvet Horsehide (100)
Razor: ERN Ator 5/8” Swayback
Brush: Stirling 24mm Finest
Soap: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Cavendish
Bowl: The Shaving Place Mountain Blue Glazed Lather Bowl
Post-shave: Alum | Cold towel | Thayer’s Cucumber Witch Hazel | Nivea Men Facial Cream
Aftershave: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Cavendish Cologne & Aftershave
Fragrance: Bond no 9 Saks New York Oud
Album of the Day: Soundgarden - Superunknown
Song of the Day: Black Hole Sun
View attachment 706602
View attachment 706603
The morning shave

Another late night led to another difficult waking morning, so it was another shorter duration shave. This time there was a little price to be paid for that, but I’ll get to that later. For the most part the shave went nice and quick and uneventful. I was a little too liberal with the water today, so had to reload the Cavendish, but it ended up being a perfect lather, incredibly slick. Two hybrid passes using a freshly honed ERN Ator Swayback. I was unsure about the hone job on this razor, as the HHT was only at maybe a 4. I’m finding that HHT, with my hair, is not a very good measure of keen-ness since my hair is so fine. So, I need not have worried, because the edge on this razor was EXCELLENT. Very keen and very smooth. The first pass went by without any issue, and I was sitting a very comfortable CCS. I began the second pass and was about finished, only having the moustache area to go. I was going with a fool’s pass, something that I find myself doing more and more for some reason, when the blade caught my lip, opening up a nice 1/8” cut that bled like a broken fire hydrant. Thankfully, because it was on the lip, I could just tuck it in and keep the vital fluids from going everywhere. The result of the shave was a very solid DFS, which for me in two passes is very good. Given more time, I might have considered chasing, but that wasn’t the case. The styptic took care of the new hole in my lip in two applications, and outside of the lip, the alum gave zero feedback. The Cavendish EdC & AS was a little more vocal, but not bad. I grabbed the Bond no 9 Saks New York Oud to pair with the leathery pipe tobacco goodness of the Cavendish, and not realizing how strong it is, went two vasily’s on the neck and one on the wrist, with another on the shirt…HOLY M.o.G. THIS IS GOOD JUICE! It’s been about 5 hours since I’ve applied it and it’s still projecting out about 5 ft. Next time, I might have to take it down to one vasily on the neck and one on the wrist, none on the shirt.

I want to take a minute and just thank Eric ( [MENTION=108505]Smattayu[/MENTION] ) for the gesture of the Hatchet shave yesterday to support men’s health issues. Congratulations as well on a wonderful shave, with much less bloodshed than anyone, (yourself included, I think?) expected. Definitely shave of the year material!

The Music
Another album from my high school days, albeit one that I didn’t listen to until much later. I was in the group back then that was fighting the grunge and Seattle garage band trend and sticking to some of the harder rock; Metallica, Pantera, Biohazard, Ministry, etc… Like many of the bands that came out around this time in the grunge/alternative genre, such as Alice in Chains, Nirvana, and Soundgarden, I’ve come to appreciate the music much more. Soundgarden’s album Superunknown is probably their most well-known album, with songs such as Spoonman, Limo Wreck, Fell on Black Days, and today’s song of the day, Black Hole Sun. I normally don’t gravitate towards songs that got too much radio play, but this is such a great song that I couldn’t help myself.

Catching up Josh. Very nice mail call for sure! Glad that you have been able to use both of the new fragrances over the last two days.

Too bad about the lip. Amazing how a simple touchdown at too steep and angle with a hint of pressure can do. On the plus side - you put a nice edge on the ATOR!

Catching up Josh. Very nice mail call for sure! Glad that you have been able to use both of the new fragrances over the last two days.

Too bad about the lip. Amazing how a simple touchdown at too steep and angle with a hint of pressure can do. On the plus side - you put a nice edge on the ATOR!

Thanks Pete! I think it was more an issue with me not paying attention to the to of the razor and it just catchign a part of the pursed lip. All good, it'll heal quickly, being on the lip.

Catching up a bit Josh- great read and nice shave! I have often thought about getting a futur love the look but have read mixed reviews- I like an aggressive shave and it would probably be a good match- how is it navigating the upper lip and under the nose?

Top Bottom