What's new

Ya like Dags? My foray into wet shaving and the honorable order of aquisition

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Catching up a bit Josh- great read and nice shave! I have often thought about getting a futur love the look but have read mixed reviews- I like an aggressive shave and it would probably be a good match- how is it navigating the upper lip and under the nose?
The futur has a BIG head. BIG

Sorry to hear about the bite Josh, but excellent result in only 2 passes! That Ator is beautiful as well.

Thank you for your kind words and, yes, between not having used a straight in a month( I don't count the little non-shave with the Bengal the other day) and how heavy the axe was I was expecting a certain amount of either blood and irritation. There was a blessed absence of both, and many congratulations to Chris for putting an edge on it that was not only plenty sharp enough to get the job done, but also provided a smoother shave than I would have believed. There was almost no sting from the aftershave, and with a Pinaud product that is saying something.

Catching up a bit Josh- great read and nice shave! I have often thought about getting a futur love the look but have read mixed reviews- I like an aggressive shave and it would probably be a good match- how is it navigating the upper lip and under the nose?

it can be a little tricky around the nose going N-S...but just a little nostril relocation (push your nose off to the side) and it is much less of an issue. It is honestly only a little larger in profile than an SuperSpeed. It is quite a bit heavier, however, so if you're used to lighter razors and having to maybe assist with some pressure, you'll end up with a little burn.

IRT the agressiveness, just looking at blade gap, the Futur at a 1 has as much if not more gap than a Red Tip SS. At 6...well...there is an easy 2-3mm between the blade and the guard. Quite daunting, but with the right pressure gives an unbelievable shave!

Bummer about the lip mishap. As to the Veg...... let's just say that my position on that topic is well documented: NOT chosen :lol:

Sorry to hear about the bite Josh, but excellent result in only 2 passes! That Ator is beautiful as well.

Thank you for your kind words and, yes, between not having used a straight in a month( I don't count the little non-shave with the Bengal the other day) and how heavy the axe was I was expecting a certain amount of either blood and irritation. There was a blessed absence of both, and many congratulations to Chris for putting an edge on it that was not only plenty sharp enough to get the job done, but also provided a smoother shave than I would have believed. There was almost no sting from the aftershave, and with a Pinaud product that is saying something.

Thanks Eric! It's an easy razor to get around the face with, though stropping is a little different with the swayback in the tang making the flip a little awkward at first.

That was quite the shave to watch, Eric. The fact that you didn't experience much if any feedback from the AS is a testament to how well Chris honed it!

The futur has a BIG head. BIG

I can't disagree Sam...but it's easy to get used to after making a few adjustments in how to approach certain passes.

Bummer about the lip mishap. As to the Veg...... let's just say that my position on that topic is well documented: NOT chosen :lol:

LOL...I haven't experienced the veg on its own as an AS, but based on the Bog Nymph soap by [MENTION=103898]CBLindsay[/MENTION] I would have to say I'm probably one of the few that doesn't hate it or love it but is truly impartial...weird!

Sorry about the Bite Josh, but great edge, shave and software, BTW I got the memo on the ERN, LOL

Thanks Dave! I laughed out loud in the office when I saw your weapon of choice yeseterday!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I can't disagree Sam...but it's easy to get used to after making a few adjustments in how to approach certain passes.
So ... How do you get inside your ears and nostrils with it? With a straight, you can just stick it in and roll it with your fingers.

Sunday, 4 December, 2016 – Stirling Spice – Straight Shave #79 - SPICY SUNDAY!

Honing Notes

I was able to take the Jern to the stone again last night, doing about 50-75 laps on a tomo nagura progression and another 15-20 on water only. This was all with the three layers of tape. Using some very gentle rolling X-strokes, I was able to hit the entire edge. Not sure where I want to put it in the rotation, but it will get put in there eventually. I also was able to take some Maas to the other Jern to polish it up a bit, and run it through a bevel reset (1 layer of tape to protect the spine). The bevel was actually pretty danged good on it, but I wanted to make sure, with the tape on the spine, that it would hone correctly. I did an initial run through the 5k, but have a bit more to go to get the 1.5k scratch pattern out of the bevel before it's ready for the Jnat nagura progressions.

Nightly Lather

Only a witch hazel splash again last night…

Prep: Hot Shower | Stirling Hot Apple Cider
Pre-shave: CBLindsay’s Rosemary Preshave soap | hot towel
Strop: CBLindsay turkish linen (25) | TomoNagura Firehose (50) | TomoNagura Velvet Horsehide (100)
Razor: Hartford Cutlery Extra Hollow Ground
Brush: Rudy Vey 26mm Butterscotch “Chubby” TGN Finest 2-band
Soap: Stirling Spice
Bowl: The Shaving Place Mountain Blue Glazed Lather Bowl
Post-shave: Alum | Cold towel | Thayer’s Cucumber Witch Hazel | Nivea Men Facial Cream
Aftershave: Old Spice Original
Fragrance: Hot Water by Davidoff
Album of the Day: The Cult - Ceremony
Song of the Day: Bangkok Rain
View attachment 706808
The morning shave

I had time for a three pass shave this morning for once, and decided on a Spicy Sunday. Stirling Spice, Old Spice and Davidoff Hot Water EdT was the software, while the Rudy Vey 26mm Butterscotch chubby and Hartford Cutlery Extra Hollow Ground rounded out the hardware.

I have three shaves on this edge since I last had it on the stones, and it was as keen and smooth as I remember. The razor is fun to weild, and knowing that it was made just 40 miles from where I was born makes it a special razor to use, for me. There were some razor makers closer to home, but the likelyhood of finding any of those are very slim, so for now this will have to do.

The first two passes went by without incident, and I was sitting a comfortable DFS. Pass three I ran into a little bit of an issue on the left side of my neck area trying to go ATG with the left hand, and developed some irritation from extra buffing on the right side of my chin/mouth area. The alum registered at about a 3/10, with a few spots closer to a 5. No blood that I could see, and I was sitting at a DFS+ / BBS-. I finished out the post shave routine and was about to walk out the door when I noticed a spot of blood on the left side of my neck…I must have caught it with the spike while using my left hand. I used a little bit of styptic to be sure, though I think just wiping it away would have sufficed.

It could have been a better shave, but I’m honestly not disappointed in it as I was trying something different for me. 8 hours later and I’m still DFS, so it was a pretty good shave in the end. Shaving with the left hand is just going to take time and patience, as I’m very much right hand dominant, the only things I do lefty are shooting, hockey and shuffling poker chips. Slowly but surely I'll get there however.

The Music

The Cult provided good background music to the shave with their album Ceremony (1991). There wasn’t a song that really stood out, though, as I was into the shave. Bangkok Rain was the only time I took note of the music, so I figured I would give that song the nod.

Nice shave. Stirling Spice is a nice representation of a classic. Also I love that brush... What a beaut!

This message brought to you by Chad's phone.... most likely with typos

So ... How do you get inside your ears and nostrils with it? With a straight, you can just stick it in and roll it with your fingers.

Well, one of the adjustments I make is when i first started this, I just cut the tissue out where my nostrils connect to my face. All I do there is just lift the flaps now and shave all in there.

The ears I pour a 50/50 solution of 90% pure sulfuric acid and alcohol, about 3 drops each...it is a dual action purpose solution. It dissolves the hair and liquifies the ear wax. The alcohol makes sure it dries out too, and only leaves a rotten egg smell for about 12 hours. :thumbup1:

Nice shave. Stirling Spice is a nice representation of a classic. Also I love that brush... What a beaut!

Thanks Chad! I like the Stirling Spice, but ended up going with the Soap Commander Endurance for the OS scented soap...I already have a few Stirling products, and about 20 samples, but aside from a few samples from Pete, no SC.

The brush is most excellent...a bit of scritch, decent backbone but still soft enough, splays well, and is good for both bowl and face lathering.

Thanks Chad! I like the Stirling Spice, but ended up going with the Soap Commander Endurance for the OS scented soap...I already have a few Stirling products, and about 20 samples, but aside from a few samples from Pete, no SC.

The brush is most excellent...a bit of scritch, decent backbone but still soft enough, splays well, and is good for both bowl and face lathering.
What? No Soap Commander? If I had known that it would have changed when I went to the post office yesterday. Plus I think they offer discounts to APOs.

What? No Soap Commander? If I had known that it would have changed when I went to the post office yesterday. Plus I think they offer discounts to APOs.

Don't worry...Endurance is on the way from Maggards...lol. The problem has been remedied, just have to wait for it to arrive!

I'm not saying I overdid it over this past Black Friday/Cyber Monday thing...but I ordered quite a few things, mostly soaps...

Soaps -

Stirling:
Blu
Christmas Eve (Sample)
British Leather (sample)
Nag Champa (sample)
Margaritas in the Attic (sample)
Punpkin Spice (sample)

Saponificio Varesion Stella Alpina (first SV product)

Soap Commander Endurance (first SC product)

Haslinger Shafmilch (first Haslinger product)

Van Yulay: (they've gotten good reviews here, so I figured I'd try them...plus the names on a couple of them are hilarious)

Elf Balls (2 oz tub)
Unicorn Farts (sample)
Royal Oudh (sample)
British Fern (sample)

Aftershaves -

Stirling:
Blu (w/menthol)
Margharitas in the Attic
British Leather (w/menthol)

Barrister & Mann Baudelaire AS

Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina

Van Yulay:
Royal Oudh AS splash
British Fern

Brushes:

Omega 10049 Boar in black
Stirling 24mm fan in a Butterscotch barbers handle
My Wolf Whiskers brush should be coming in finally...it's been held hostage by SWMBO.

Other misc:

Blade bank from IB
Musgo Real Lime Glyce preshave soap
Stirling Bergamot Lavender body soap
Wood bowl for the SV Stella Alpina

Oh yeah, one more thing...

An Aristocrat off of the 'Bay. It was not named in the listing title, just labeled "vintage Gillette Razor", so was able to pick it up, with the original pigskin case, for under $50 shipped. It looks like it's in great shape, but we'll find out when it arrives. Similar listings were going for double that, so I think I got a good bargain out of it...buyer beware, of course.

Mail call is going to be interesting over the next couple of weeks...I have to make room in the den!

Josh I have a question. How does the Hartford Cutlery Extra Hollow Ground feel in in your hand compared to say the MK*31. They look to be the same size, but do you have the same feel with it as she shaves? I'm sorry about yesterday's wound and apologize for not warning you how strong and long lasting that Oud is. You've had a couple of really nice mail calls the past couple of weeks, what's left to get you for Christmas??:lol:

Without the thumb notch, it is a different feeling razor for sure. It's not a cumbersome razor, by any means, but it lacks the "ferrari" feel of the Mk*31. That being said, it still is easy to perverbially whip it around the face. The lower jimps on it provide a good handhold as well, so the larger tang compared to the 31 isn't an impediment to stropping or usage. I don't know the weights of the razors, (they have similar scale material, cellulose), but the Hartford is only slightly heavier, and that difference I can almost guarantee is in the tang, mostly. It is only slightly less hollow ground as well, so the feel is a bit different on the face, and maybe only a little more weight. Both are stellar shavers, though. The HC weighs much less than the Mk*32 I have...

Top Bottom