What's new

Minty Sticky

So, I loaded up a vintage Wilkinson Sword blade which I guess dates from a similar period to the razor. The blade ends protruded just a tiny bit from the razor head, but not enough to catch my fingers on, and it was held firmly in place, although with less of a curve to it than I see in most of my razors. Prep consisted of a face wash in the shower with Dove soap, then I applied a lovely lather produced by a Yardley shaving stick, just to keep the 70s period feel. The brush was a vintage Kent handle, with a new high mountain badger knot.
The razor was nice and easy to wield, having a neat, compact head and providing good grip thanks to the "sticky" handle. The only problem came when lather got on to the handle, rather nullifying the stickiness, but a quick swish in water solved that.
The shave itself was pretty smooth and mild; maybe on a par with that from my pre-war Tech. It took a bit of concentration to get just the correct angle, because of the small blade gap, lack of exposure and possibly the minimal amount of curve on the blade. However, a three-pass shave gave me a DFS with not a hint of any irritation, and there was no burn at all when I applied some Pashana aftershave. I guess I could cut myself with this razor, but it would take a bit of doing.
I will probably give it a few more goes just to nail the angle, and the end result will probably improve, but I doubt I'll reach for it if I'm aiming for BBS. However, it will be great for a very quick shave when a perfect result isn't required.

$DSC_0093.jpg

I gave my Sticky (blue cap) another try today and had a much nicer shave than on my first try a while back. No nicks this time. It's actually a very nice shaver that rewards good technique. Blade choice made a big difference as well. My go to blade has become the St Petersburg Gillette Minora Platinum, it's sharp and smooth.

I had a second go with my Sticky this morning, using the same set-up, and it was a little better in quality than the first. However, it still wasn't quite as close as I get with some (not all) of my more aggressive razors, and required quite a bit of attention to blade angle. I'll keep at it with this razor for as long as the blade lasts -- which might be quite a long time given the quality of these vintage Wilkies.

Top Bottom