What's new

Triple Milled soaps?

Triple milling a soap does tend to make it harder and longer lasting but that would be dependent upon the ingredients and the formula itself. If the formula doesn't have just the right ingredients in just the right percentages no matter how hard it is from milling it may not last as long as another better formulated product. Read labels, read labels, read labels!

Thanks everyone. Got a LOT more responses than I thought I would. I will probably go with the DR Harris for my next soap....once I start running low on my new XXX

There was an artisan, wetshabe obsession, a few Yeats ago that made triple milled soaps. Sadly they disappeared but the saving grace has been that the 3 pucks I have are lasting forever.
I honestly wondered if they went out of business cause the soap lasts so long. It was only 12 bucks a puck and lasts so long I don't see how they could make money from repeat buys.
The nicesyt thing with a triple milled soap IMO is how well they lather when u bloom the puck properly. So thick its crazy.

triple milled shaving soaps are all I really buy anymore. They don't cost that much and they last a longer longer than soft soaps.

I dont know that brand but its very interesting because most if not all "astissans" can not make triple milled soap because it requires a large investment in capitol equipment that they can not do.
There was an artisan, wetshabe obsession, a few Yeats ago that made triple milled soaps. Sadly they disappeared but the saving grace has been that the 3 pucks I have are lasting forever.
I honestly wondered if they went out of business cause the soap lasts so long. It was only 12 bucks a puck and lasts so long I don't see how they could make money from repeat buys.
The nicesyt thing with a triple milled soap IMO is how well they lather when u bloom the puck properly. So thick its crazy.

I dont know that brand but its very interesting because most if not all "astissans" can not make triple milled soap because it requires a large investment in capitol equipment that they can not do.
Guess it depends on what you call an artisan in many cases. SV mills there soap and they are often called an artisan but I've seen pictures of their rather large factory.

If I recall correctly, WSO was not triple-milled in a traditional sense of re-cutting, compacting, re-cutting, etc. His soaps were "hand-milled" which adds confusion because this involves re-cutting, re-melting, re-forming. This process is indicative of a melt-and-pour soap base and his ingredients appear to back that up.

I have never tried WSO so I cannot comment on performance - just more so on the definition of triple-milled and whether it can/should be applied to this soap.

Being new to wet shaving what brands are out there for milled soaps. I have list for softer artisan soaps and such, but I just need to add these to the list I guess. Also, never having tried hard/milled do you still bloom them I assume?

Being new to wet shaving what brands are out there for milled soaps. I have list for softer artisan soaps and such, but I just need to add these to the list I guess. Also, never having tried hard/milled do you still bloom them I assume?

Many people do bloom them. I have never personally found much difference in lather whether you bloom a puck or not. If I haven't used it in awhile I will usually put a small amount of water on the puck, but nowhere near a teaspoon like many people use. I just rub a wet finger on the thing.

Are these milled

Tabac
godrej
haslinger
DVH

And what about shave sticks.

I cannot speak for the others, having never used them, but Tabac is triple milled.

As for shave sticks...some yes, some no. I have A DRH Arlington stick in my travel kit, which is triple milled.

For the record, hard soaps are pretty much the only things I use any more. I have a base rotation of four soaps, three of which (MWF, Oxford&Cambridge, and old formulation AOS) are triple milled. (The other is MdC, which is pretty hard, too.)

The hard pucks don't have to be more expensive. Haslinger, Edwin Jagger refill puck , Provence Sante are all excellent hard pucks and are cheaper than most tubs of croaps ~$10

They are smaller by volume but last a long time

D.R. Harris Arlington has been my first experience with triple milled soaps, I've been using mine since about Dec 16, 2015 (6 mo now) and I am very happy with it. I'm really not sure how long it will last, but I shave at least 6 times a week and I am not yet ready to buy a new puck. I load the brush then use a bowl to build the lather.

Is Haslinger really triple milled? I was under the impression that it was just a normal dried soap? Either way, the milled soaps last a really long time.

Is Haslinger really triple milled? I was under the impression that it was just a normal dried soap? Either way, the milled soaps last a really long time.

It may not be triple milled but it is a pretty hard puck, lasts a long time, and performs with the best there is

I love triple milled soaps.Onether plus is that they never expire or lose their consistency!!!

Not according to the eu
Tabac expires after 36 months and my dvh after 4 months(really hope this is wrong)
Most say they expire 12-24 months. I wonder how the eu defines expired soap

If I recall correctly, WSO was not triple-milled in a traditional sense of re-cutting, compacting, re-cutting, etc. His soaps were "hand-milled" which adds confusion because this involves re-cutting, re-melting, re-forming. This process is indicative of a melt-and-pour soap base and his ingredients appear to back that up.

I have never tried WSO so I cannot comment on performance - just more so on the definition of triple-milled and whether it can/should be applied to this soap.
Yes I do recall they made it clear on the website that their soaps was triple batched, not triple milled. Or alternatively triple hand milled,not traditional triple milling which apparently involves a large press of sorts i have come to learn.Also they were in fact a glycerin based soap with tallow actually added. I forget all of the exact details but they outlined the entire manufacture process on their site to clarify for everybody. It was all meaningless to me then but now that I make my own soaps it makes sense and I realize how labor intensive what they were doing is. As a consumer I just love how hard it is and how long it lasts in addition to its performance. The post shave face feel is IMO exceptional. Just glad I have a few still in the den and they last like they do.

Top Bottom