What's new

Are there any new triple milled soaps?

In between certain reformulations like Tabac, the discontinuing of Williams, the Valobra limbo, and just various other changes I feel the need to ask if there are any newer triple milled shave soaps, or at least overlooked triple milled soaps around?

lasta

Blade Biter
I think the process comes with grinding/packing equipment that most small shops aren't willy to invest in...

For old timers, I think Pre de Provence, Dutch Kox/de Vergulde Hands (maybe?) and English soaps by Creighton (Tobs, T&H, Trumpers) do it. MDC? I think they just dry it for a long time but not milled.

IMO, I don't think grinding/reconstituting soaps make much difference in end results.

Cyril R Salter. Scent is so-so. Industrial lavender, to my nose. Lather is great.
DR Harris, not new but triple, nevertheless. Same formula/soap as above, with nice scents.

Not exactly new, but best value hard soaps out there are the Razorock Blue Label, Green Label, Gold Label, Black Label, Red Label and Lime Label. Usually on sale for Black Friday. Think of them as a modern veggie Williams Mug soap.

Cyril R Salter Solid soap, nice performance, inexpensive from Connaught in the UK. Bergamot & Lavender scent. Similar to DR Harris.

La Maison du Savon de Marseille with two scents Monsieur and Rebel. Similar to Pre de Provence.

Classic older soaps from Klar Seifen, Golddachs, Provence Sante, Osma.

Haslinger's more recent formula with coconut oil is quite good.

English soaps by Creighton (Tobs, T&H, Trumpers) do it. MDC? I think they just dry it for a long time but not milled.

I don't know who made the English soaps. Creighton did the creams. For the hard milled soaps, at one point around 10+ years ago T&H and Trumpers switched factories and the formula was different. It was absolute garbage and wouldn't hold a stable lather. There are rumors that *some* of the T&H pucks were fixed but when you order online there is no way to know if you get a dud or not. Probably not worth it.

TOBS never sold duds to my knowledge but they did change bases and the "stearate first" base was superior. The base used in the Sandalwood and Jermyn Street soaps from years back was still good after that and made stable lather, just not as slick or protective as the old base.

Correct that MDC is dried not milled. A jar does last a very long time. I've killed a couple.

Assuming some of the lesser known French brands are using a manufacturer that makes soaps with stable lather (and not disappearing foam crap) those soaps should be a good value. PdP is excellent for example. Dunno about lesser known brands.

The reason we don't see too many new milled soaps is because small brands don't have access to the equipment needed to make them. You need a soap factory and you need enough economies of scale to meet minimums. Then you better hope they have experience making shaving soap and not just bath/shower soap sold as shaving soap.

La Maison du Savon de Marseille with two scents Monsieur and Rebel. Similar to Pre de Provence.
That sounds interesting.

Provence Sante
I have a puck of this still I milled into a little jar. Not really ideal for loading and never came around to the Green Tea scent except for occasional use. At some point I'll transfer it to another container and try to use it more. From memory the performance was good.

I have a puck of this still I milled into a little jar. Not really ideal for loading and never came around to the Green Tea scent except for occasional use. At some point I'll transfer it to another container and try to use it more. From memory the performance was good.

You can use the Provence Sante puck like a shave stick. Works quite well and you get plenty of soap that way. There are two scents called Verlaine and Green Tea. Aged pucks don't have a lot of scent, which is fine with me since I like low scent strength. Some people get hung up about floral scents, so whatever, it's French, they're all right. Reminds me of soap from a nice hotel.

You can use the Provence Sante puck like a shave stick. Works quite well and you get plenty of soap that way. There are two scents called Verlaine and Green Tea. Aged pucks don't have a lot of scent, which is fine with me since I like low scent strength. Some people get hung up about floral scents, so whatever, it's French, they're all right. Reminds me of soap from a nice hotel.

Yeah I know about the shave stick thing. My PSGT puck is already chopped up, just needs a better container. And it's probably at least 10 years old or more, just have a lot of soaps and creams to get through and that one wasn't a priority. I'll get to it eventually. I do not mind floral scents at all. Lavender and rose scented products, for example, are among my favorites.

...any newer triple milled shave soaps, or at least overlooked triple milled soaps around?

I forgot to mention there are a couple of soaps from Ach. Brito (Portugal). Confusingly called Mogno and Musgo (not Musgo Real). Very good performance on these and they're not expensive. A few people reported they had some skin sensitivity, but not too many.

I believe that "triple milling" is the soap being squeezed to remove excess moisture. Hence making a very hard puck of dry soap.

I could be wrong tho.
Jay

Basically correct. The soap is put through machinery such as vacuum plodders that extrude the wet soap through a die under pressure while applying a vacuum. The result is soap noodles that are later compressed in a die to make hard soap bars of different shapes.

Top Bottom