What's new

Are there any new triple milled soaps?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
What is Triple Milled? Asking as I do not know.
The raw soap, after it comes from the blender where the saponification process has taken place, goes over a set of rollers and squeezed through a mesh/sieve plates (out come spaghetti shaped soap pieces). Repeating this process three times results in triple milled (or also sometimes called "refined") soaps.

Last edited:
The German made KLAR shaving soap has long been a favourite of mine among triple milled. I particularly like the scent of the "Classic", but they do a few other scents too. I'm not sure about availability in North America, but I believe Woodberg in Germany will ship world-wide, see
It's an excellent soap.

The German made KLAR shaving soap has long been a favourite of mine among triple milled. I particularly like the scent of the "Classic", but they do a few other scents too. I'm not sure about availability in North America, but I believe Woodberg in Germany will ship world-wide, see
It's an excellent soap.
Is Klar still in business? I may be wrong but, I think they closed shop. The King and I used to be their North American distributor but have not had Klar in stock in at least two years. Some EU distributors used to carry it but, no longer.

Is Klar still in business? I may be wrong but, I think they closed shop.

I certainly think KLAR is still in business. I made a purchase directly from the company's own web site quite recently, see

Their products are also available from other vendors, see link in my last post.

I believe the company slightly altered it's name a few years back, from "Klar Kabinet", to just "Klar". So the "Klar Kabinet" soaps are gone, and perhaps some of the scents they did are gone too, I dont' know. But it still says "KLAR 1840" in the web site, so it's hardly a different KLAR. As I recall it, it has been a family owned company for generations.

The raw soap, after it comes from the blender where the saponification process has taken place, goes over a set of rollers and squeezed through a mesh/sieve plates (out come spaghetti shaped soap pieces). Repeating this process three times results in triple milled (or also sometimes called "refined") soaps.
What is end gain, soap makes better lather or? Asking as I am learning something.

What is end gain, soap makes better lather or? Asking as I am learning something.

Shaving soaps that are not milled resemble a firm shaving cream with a high water content. For example, Cella or Proraso.

With milled soaps, you are buying soap, not water.

The milled soaps are dense and longer lasting. They are a more concentrated product. They don't melt away when you use them.

I certainly think KLAR is still in business. I made a purchase directly from the company's own web site quite recently, see

Their products are also available from other vendors, see link in my last post.

I believe the company slightly altered it's name a few years back, from "Klar Kabinet", to just "Klar". So the "Klar Kabinet" soaps are gone, and perhaps some of the scents they did are gone too, I dont' know. But it still says "KLAR 1840" in the web site, so it's hardly a different KLAR. As I recall it, it has been a family owned company for generations.
Could be. I just know they haven't been available from King & I for quite awhile. I used to order directly from Klar when they had the Kabinet soap which was the only one I sold in any real quantity. When that was discontinued, I went with the distributors.

This is a fairly compact vacuum plodder machine for soap. It uses pressure to extrude wet soap through a die to make soap noodles. That part that looks like a clothes dryer with the door open is the vacuum chamber where soap noodles are processed and dried. Below that is a second extrusion stage.

1700002894815.png

This is the interior of the vacuum chamber. You can see the twin dies where soap paste is extruded. The little star wheel parts scrape off the soap coming out and cut it into shorter pieces. The noodles fall down a chute into the second stage.

1700003108696-png.1748551

1700005072962.png

Triple-milled is more of a figure of speech nowadays.

Last edited:
Wow, that vacuum plodder machine for soap, never seen that before but again I don't make soap, very cool to see and read about it.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
No, it's quadruple milled. :001_cool:

This gentleman is correct as I understand it. It’s a very hard, translucent soap of the first water.

Klar is still around, but like Goldachs, seems to be not so much in favor in the US. Both are stellar shaving soaps, though pricey these days, if you can find them. Goldachs is apparently a Dovo-Merkur product.

This gentleman is correct as I understand it. It’s a very hard, translucent soap of the first water.

Klar is still around, but like Goldachs, seems to be not so much in favor in the US. Both are stellar shaving soaps, though pricey these days, if you can find them. Goldachs is apparently a Dovo-Merkur product.

I got my Klar shaving soaps on deep discount from Pasteur when they were closing them out. It looked like they might have been on the shelves for awhile. Excellent soaps, so I think the problem was the retail price and the compact size made them a difficult sale.

Golddachs was a similar story.

Nobody is going to get excited by these soaps compared with the recent competition. Despite that, they have excellent performance and will last a very long time.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I got my Klar shaving soaps on deep discount from Pasteur when they were closing them out. It looked like they might have been on the shelves for awhile. Excellent soaps, so I think the problem was the retail price and the compact size made them a difficult sale.

Golddachs was a similar story.

Nobody is going to get excited by these soaps compared with the recent competition. Despite that, they have excellent performance and will last a very long time.

I agree 100%

Excellent milled soaps, small sizes, tall prices. I grabbed some Klar in that pasteur’s closeout too. Good stuff.

Top Bottom