What's new

Are there any new triple milled soaps?

Meissner Tremonia is I think a relatively new one that offers hard shaving soap (not croap) - I've tried it & it's perfectly ok... mind you, I go the 'Strong 'n Scottish' which is a bit much & really needs its own dedicated brush due to its staggeringly peaty nature (whisky is 3rd in its ingredients list). Maybe Salty Sea Sage would have been a wiser choice... but i'll just reiterate the Pre de Provence reccomendation again - both scents. And if (when) you love the PdeP 63 you might like to treat yourself to a puck of Saponificio Varesino Morado, too.

I used to order directly from Klar when they had the Kabinet soap which was the only one I sold in any real quantity.
I think the Klar shaving soap I linked above has been unjustly overlooked, even in Europe. It's really an excellent soap worth trying out, especially for people into hard non-tallow pucks.

Last edited:
There will soon be a new tripled milled soap from a well known European brand. I am sworn to secrecy so, that is all I can say for now.
Can you maybe share if it will be released this year or next year? If it's not possible, I totally understand it.

Klar is still around, but like Goldachs, seems to be not so much in favor in the US
Also in Europe, they are not popular anymore and it is not easy to find them. I suspect it has something to do with the lack of advertisement and strong competition from other brands. On the other side, SV sells for about the same price if we take into consideration the quantity. I am not sure what the demand and manufacturing volume is for Klar and Golddachs nowadays but it would be a shame to see them shut down the production.

I think the Klar shaving soap I linked above has been unjustly overlooked, even in Europe. It's really an excellent soap worth trying out, especially for people into hard non-tallow pucks.

The problem is the cost, including the cost to get it here just makes it non-competitive.

A Klar refill soap of 110g costs $22.50, not totally outrageous perhaps. Let's order two soaps, OK? Oops, DHL Express wants $40.00 for shipping. So, two 110g soaps costs, let's see, $85, or $42.50 each. o_O

Meanwhile, I see Pasteur's Pharmacy has free shipping and Ach. Brito Musgo 100g for $7 each, let's get two, OK? That will be $14 total for two soaps with fairly similar performance.

The problem is the cost, including the cost to get it here just makes it non-competitive.
I think that is true, and perhaps it is fine to learn to live with such regional differences. One north american soap I have wanted to try for a long time is Barrister and Mann, but I simply can't find any vendors in Europe, and I am not about to start importing it myself (add customs fees on top of overseas shipping ...!).
Still, I have no doubt that Barrister and Mann makes excellent soaps, I think this is widely acknowledged. Whereas with Klar, I really think it is an overlooked soap, relative to its excellent quality - availability issues disregarded. It is certainly possible to "know" of a product, without it being readily available. And as said even within the EU Klar is not a huge name I think. In terms of quality, I would rate it on par with Tabac (to compare it with a widely known name); its reputation on the other hand is a far cry from Tabac. Anyway -- I merely wanted to put it on the map, given the question about overlooked triple-milled ... so hereby.

Last edited:
I think that is true, and perhaps it is fine to learn to live with such regional differences...Anyway -- I merely wanted to put it on the map, given the question about overlooked triple-milled ... so hereby.

On clearance sale, the Klar was about the same price as the Musgo, with free shipping. So, it was an easy choice to get the Klar. I like it a lot and hope it will be easier to find (a few years from now!).

Could be. I just know they haven't been available from King & I for quite awhile. I used to order directly from Klar when they had the Kabinet soap which was the only one I sold in any real quantity. When that was discontinued, I went with the distributors.
I still have 3/4 of a giant Klar Kabinett block I bought from you ages ago. Great soap. I may never finish the entire thing :)

I am afraid that their soaps are not triple milled.

Are you sure? From the SV website:

Saponificio Varesino is a maker and purveyor of artisan soap based in Brebbia, Italy from 1945. Practices the Marseilles method of saponification to produce triple-milled palm oil free soap for shaving and bathing using natural cleansing and exfoliating ingredients. Offering a selection of vegan soaps with no parabens.

Thank you. I am very surprised because I make shaving stick and they are not too hard to cut and compress, just with the simple plastic containers I use to make the sticks. At least Manna di Sicilia and Tundra Artica, the ones I used.

Thank you. I am very surprised because I make shaving stick and they are not too hard to cut and compress, just with the simple plastic containers I use to make the sticks. At least Manna di Sicilia and Tundra Artica, the ones I used.

Yeah, I cut a puck down to fit into a smaller tin, and it was not rock hard. But it is the same consistency as other triple milled soaps I have used. I guess it is a factor of the moisture content, not the actual hardness of the soap.

Goldachs, Klar, Carthusia, Maison de Savon du Marseilles (probably the maker of PdP), Thiers-Issard come to mind.

Not exactly new, but best value hard soaps out there are the Razorock Blue Label, Green Label, Gold Label, Black Label, Red Label and Lime Label. Usually on sale for Black Friday. Think of them as a modern veggie Williams Mug soap.

Cyril R Salter Solid soap, nice performance, inexpensive from Connaught in the UK. Bergamot & Lavender scent. Similar to DR Harris.

La Maison du Savon de Marseille with two scents Monsieur and Rebel. Similar to Pre de Provence.

Classic older soaps from Klar Seifen, Golddachs, Provence Sante, Osma.

Haslinger's more recent formula with coconut oil is quite good.
I really hope LMdSdM has reformulated. This is one of the biggest disappointments I have had the luxury to experience.
Quite different from PdP, in that there is zero Potassium in this...

full

On clearance sale, the Klar was about the same price as the Musgo, with free shipping. So, it was an easy choice to get the Klar. I like it a lot and hope it will be easier to find (a few years from now!).

I remember Klar getting a few reviews here over a decade ago. The problem with it, rightly or wrongly, was that it could not make it in a competitive market at that time. Too many other products overshadowed it, quality notwithstanding. I would have liked to try it but never got around to it. I'm definitely not importing it either.

The current market is much worse for soaps like this than it was 10+ years ago. Now the American market has been almost entirely taken over by a few budget brands and U.S. based artisans making similar types of soft soaps with 101 different FO cologne scents. If a U.S. vendor imported the stuff now, it would probably collect dust at their shop.

I remember Klar getting a few reviews here over a decade ago. The problem with it, rightly or wrongly, was that it could not make it in a competitive market at that time. Too many other products overshadowed it, quality notwithstanding. I would have liked to try it but never got around to it. I'm definitely not importing it either.

The current market is much worse for soaps like this than it was 10+ years ago. Now the American market has been almost entirely taken over by a few budget brands and U.S. based artisans making similar types of soft soaps with 101 different FO cologne scents. If a U.S. vendor imported the stuff now, it would probably collect dust at their shop.
That's really my main issue with most artisan soaps, they just aren't really the best deal at times. Milled or aged soaps, or the kg bricks like from Cella and other Italians I can justify because either you are getting a large amount of product or a soap that will last for a long time. But with a lot of artisan soaps while the lather may be excellent, it just doesn't last.

That's really my main issue with most artisan soaps, they just aren't really the best deal at times. Milled or aged soaps, or the kg bricks like from Cella and other Italians I can justify because either you are getting a large amount of product or a soap that will last for a long time. But with a lot of artisan soaps while the lather may be excellent, it just doesn't last.

Yeah, for people starting out or those that only use 1 or 3 or whatever soaps at a time, that's a real issue.

It's not an issue for me because I have so much stuff I've stocked up over the years.

My main issue with some of the popular brands now is that the scents aren't my thing. Some also have too many ingredients for my liking.

Top Bottom