What's new

Newbie shave report

Hey everyone! I figured I'd post about how my DE experience is going so far. I had my first DE shave on Thursday night and it was terrible! I was so worried that the razor was going to slice my face up with every stroke that I had terrible angle and was hardly cutting anything. I was also getting a lot of tugging (Derby)but that was probably my poor blade angle and I was pulling too slow. Halfway through I began second guessing my decision to switch. On Friday I got back on B&B and re-read some of the posts and watched some Mantic59 to boost my confidence. That night I decided to give it another go after my shower. My shave last night was 100x better! It did take me 30-35 minutes to shave but I just paid attention to pressure and angle. I hold my razor near the bottom between my 2 fingers and thumb with the bottom resting on my ring finger and just lay the razor on my face. I did 2 passes WTG and then a small clean up pass. I had read that you should just go north to south when you're starting out but this would have meant going ATG on my neck. I ended up trying south to north on my neck and had good results. I just took it slow and really concentrated on angle and no pressure. It wasn't even close to BBS but I figured it was smooth enough for someone who's just starting out. Afterwards I did have some irritation under my chin and below my jaw line but I think that's because I ended up going ATG in those areas because of how it grows. No nicks or cuts so that was a plus.

I can't believe I had been so nervous the night before. I'm going to shave tomorrow so that'll make 3 times so far. Hopefully I can have similar results. One more thing that I did do differently with the blade is that I flipped it over before I started my second shave. Does anyone else do that? How often? I'm definetly hooked after that shave. I'm actually looking forward to my next one tomorrow.

Hi, welcome to B&B
DE shaving is just a case of practice makes perfect - don't give up
I also flip my blades, I can only get 3 good shaves per blade with most brands, and 4 good shaves per blade on only 4 brands (Personna from Spain, Feather, Bic and Gillette 7 O'Clock Green from India).
I have to clean my razor and blade after every shave due to hard water, and flipping the blade over every time is just part of the habit I got into. I don't think flipping the blades makes much difference, but low or high manufacturer's numbers near the sputtered edges, or English and Russian writing on different sides of the blade makes it easier to keep count of the number of shaves I've had when I've got 2 or more different blades on the go in different razors.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, it has been proven that flipping the blade does not improve the cutting power of the edge. More than that I'd consider equally using both parts of the DE blade for better performance and longevity.

Of course, congrats on the good start and welcome aboard!

I can't believe I had been so nervous the night before. I'm going to shave tomorrow so that'll make 3 times so far. Hopefully I can have similar results. One more thing that I did do differently with the blade is that I flipped it over before I started my second shave. Does anyone else do that? How often? I'm definetly hooked after that shave. I'm actually looking forward to my next one tomorrow.

Not sure if flipping actually helps or not, but if it works for you go right ahead!

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Sounds like you are off to a great start.​

Welcome and congrats. As my friend Marco said, flipping the blade does not do any add an anyything. Think of the blade as a knife slicing through your beard.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Welcome to B&B. Flipping the blade probably doesn't do any good, but I doubt it hurts..

How was it?

Third shave was pretty much the same as yesterday. There were a couple spots on my neck that I couldn't seem to get well enough. My chin is also proving to be a bit of a trouble spot. All in all though, not bad. Didn't cut myself and my wife seemed happy with the smoothness for our date today. Tomorrow will be my first wet shave before work so I'm anxious to see how the new shave routine fits in with my regular morning happenings.

Third shave was pretty much the same as yesterday. There were a couple spots on my neck that I couldn't seem to get well enough. My chin is also proving to be a bit of a trouble spot. All in all though, not bad. Didn't cut myself and my wife seemed happy with the smoothness for our date today. Tomorrow will be my first wet shave before work so I'm anxious to see how the new shave routine fits in with my regular morning happenings.
Keep us posted.

Welcome!

Give this some time and effort and you will be rewarded! DE is a skill that takes time to master.

Congratulations on a great shave!
As others have mentioned I am not a fan of flipping blades. You are as likely to knick the blade edge or yourself, for little if any gain.

I have often considered flipping the blade but because I enjoy using and trying out different manufacturer's blades, part of me doesn't want them to last any longer anyway.
AZCat, you didn't mention which razor you were using?

I started shaving 50 years ago in Kingman.... Then I shaved in Tucson... Then in Clifton...... Now I'm shaving in Germany and I still have trouble with my chin.....
[MENTION=109967]AZCat[/MENTION]... You're doing fine... and if your wife is happy with your shaves, your'e doing Great...:thumbup:

My chin is also proving to be a bit of a trouble spot.

AZCat, you didn't mention which razor you were using?

I'm using a Merkur 34C with a Derby blade. I like it so far. Weight is good and the short handle makes it more maneuverable. I'm thinking of trying an Astra blade next.

Top Bottom