What's new

What to do

I have been shaving with the same merkur 33C for about 7 years using Gillette Silver Blue blades with no issues. One of my jobs requires me to stay away from home 1 night a week and 1 weekend a month. I decided I needed a full travel size kit so as not to have to bring all my normal stuff each time I was staying. I picked up a maggard travel size handle with a V3 standard head. I tried it the other night using my same blades and it was the worst case of razor burn I have ever had. Since I have not fallen down the shaving hole like some I really don't venture out from what works besides soap or AS. Do some razors work better with certain blades? Has anyone used the Maggard V3 head and your thoughts?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I really don't venture out from what works besides soap or AS.

A reasonable suggestion may be to simply buy another Merkur and make it your travel razor.

The kind of flophouses where I usually end up :) often have some pretty awful shaving conditions. Getting a decent shave and getting on to the next thing is important, particularly when somebody's paying you to get on to the next thing. :) Go with what you know!

O.H.

About 10 months after switching to DE, my wife and I went on vacation. I thought I'd travel light and just take the old favorite cart and foam I used for 30 years. The first shave was so bad, I tossed it all in the trash and didn't shave again until I got home. Ever since, I bring my favorite DE, blade, soap and brush when we travel. We don't fly, so not a problem.

Some good advice above!

I used to travel a fair bit for work and evolved into a 1-bag (carry on only) traveler. My ‘travel‘ kit is very different from what I use at home. This includes a soap stick (La Toja), a small brush (Wee Scot), small plastic container for AS (that goes with my liquids). If staying in one place, I mail blades before I travel and take my Lord L6 (Tech clone). If moving around I resort to a cart. Works for me!!

Update: I used the travel razor this morning with at home instead of my Merkur and got a decently smooth shave. I feel you are correct that the handle is just too small for my ape sized hands. Guess I will look for a longer handle for this V3 head.

Quick update. I have been shaving with the merkur for about 7 years off and on depending on time. I watched geofatboys video about shaving ATG and across and learned how to actually hold the razor correctly. Wow what a difference it made. No burn using the travel DE. Guess it was all my technique after all. Now off to find more things down this rabbit hole to snag.

Top Bottom