What's new

Fitness challenge to Summer 2016

Here comes the next quarter! Another chance to commit to fitness goals and share your progress (and your challenges) with all your B&B buddies! The To Spring Challenge was lots of fun and people made great progress!

To Spring Challenge was Jan 1 - March 21 2016
To Summer Challenge is April 1 to June 21 2016
To Fall Challenge is July 1 to September 21 2016
To Christmas will be October 1 to December 24, 2016.

To join, post your start weight, your goal, and 3 or more things that you plan to work on to achieve that goal. There is no reward for completing it on here, just the fact you will feel better and be healthier for it. Anyone is welcome to post their goals.

I'll kick things off. I felt pretty good with my progress last quarter. I just promised my fitness instructor wife that I'd take her on a week long cycling trip in July. I've done trips that long before, but I've been off the bike since October.

So my goals are to maintain my weight and get back to comfortably riding up to 50 miles a day for multiple days. I'll need to work cycling back into my weekly routine, of course. I'll still have one intense weight-lifting session a week. I'll also keep up the once a week fast to help maintain my weight and improve overall health.

Here we go!

1. krow - 185 - maintain weight, cycle up to 50 miles/day for multiple days

Who's next?

Kevdogg329. Don't know weight as it has been a month since I weighed in

Planning to ride my bike a few days a week.

Last edited:
I'm in. Current weight 220, goal weight 212.

My plan is to lift weights at least twice a week and watch what I eat. Try to eat out as infrequently as possible, as a former professional cook I can tell you that most restaurant meals are incredibly unhealthy (I'm not talking about Subway's healthy 6 inch subs). Ideally, I should be lifting four times a week but that's not very realistic right now with my schedule.

I will be participating. The last challenge I worked out but due to beer and pizza I gained weight. I will report my starting weight on April 1st if that's okay.

Was 178 starting January, back up to 183 now. Goal weight 175.

Goals:
- run 5 miles continuous at 9:00 pace (was at 3-4... Now 1.6 at 9:40 pace)
- lift 3-4x/week
- be prepared for savage race June 11 (5.5 miles, 27 obstacles)

Was doing good with these goals but due to relocating for student clinicals, I took a 2.5 month hiatus from the gym that set me back pretty good.

I'm in. Current weight 190, goal weight 180. Summer of 2014 I went from 200lbs+ (not sure of exact weight as didn't have a scale when I started) down to 172. Once back in school I slow crept back up before stabilizing at 190.

My goals are to:
1) start using myfitnesspal to log meals again
2) eat less carbs
2a) give up beer for the duration
2b) give up chips for the duration
3) Resume walking to work on days I don't need my car and it's not pissing rain
4) do a day hike every other weekend like I used to

Count me in too!

Current weight has risen back up to 266lb, goal weight by June 21 would be 246.

My goals:
1) Get back to the gym more, at least 4 times per week.
2) Clock up at least 8,000 steps per day on my fitbit.
3) Reduce or eliminate highly processed foods.
4) Resume logging on myfitnesspal.

So to summarize:

1. krow - maintain weight, prepare for summer multi-day bike tour
2. kevdogg329 - ride bike multiple times per week
3. Sullybob - 220 lbs - get to 212
4. noahpictures - tbd
5. GMJager - 183 lbs - get to 173, prepare for Savage Race (5.5 mile 27 obstacles)
6. Chris Murphy - 190 lbs - get to 180
7. Andy - 266 lbs - get to 246

Plenty of time to join up! Please copy this list and add yourself to the bottom.

Anyone know a good app or website for tracking weight training?

I'm not concerned about trying to account for calories, but more looking for something where I can easily track sets, reps, and weights for various exercises over time. Right now I'm using a excel spreadsheet, and it's not the best.

Also, who is on MyFitnessPal? I intend to start tracking again with the beginning of the challenge.

Anyone know a good app or website for tracking weight training?

Great question, Chris. I used to use Excel for weights workout tracking because I had it on my phone and on my desktop. I have a trainer now, so I don't get to obsess over my card anymore. If you find a good app, let us know.

1. krow - maintain weight, prepare for summer multi-day bike tour
4. noahpictures - tbd
5. GMJager - 183 lbs - get to 173, prepare for Savage Race (5.5 mile 27 obstacles)
8. Haggises - will weigh in on 4/1. Goal is still 220. Lo-carb, gym, and get back on the C25K path

I'm in. I'm at 306 right now, and I'm going to shoot for 280 as of June 21st. I'm quitting my job on 4/15 (I'm currently in law school as well as working), so my other goals are:

-to have measurable physical activity every day starting on 4/16. I don't care if it's 15 minutes on the treadmill or 3 hours, I need daily measurable exercise.
-to eat solely fish and greens when I go out
-to stop drinking soda as of 5/18

I'm on MFP under the same username.

Last edited:
Starting weight is 185. Goal weight is 170. Exercise daily. More output than input in terms of calories. Drink at least 64 ounces of water daily.

1. krow - 190 - get to 185, prepare for summer multi-day bike tour
4. noahpictures - 185 /bs - get to 170
8. Haggises - will weigh in on 4/1. Goal is still 220. Lo-carb, gym, and get back on the C25K path
9. redfalconf35 - 306 - get to 280

Here we go. A smaller turnout this quarter, but I'm sure we'll all have fun.

As for me, I had a wretched start. I was working at a big conference out of town all week and despite miles of walking, I managed to slip hard on the diet. So I put myself in to target 185 again. Time to get on that bike!

I got a Fitbit Blaze watch and instead of tracking steps on the first screen I have been tracking calories burned which has been helpful. I began tracking calories in the Fitbit app instead of My Fitnesspal.

Ok- sign me up.
I had no real changes from the Spring challenge- don't know if I could succeed in changing any but we'll see-
Wt- 170.9lbs
BMI-23.3
BF-19.2%
going bike riding today.

Top Bottom